Windows Phone 8.1 Preview users will no longer need to downgrade their OS to get the latest release

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
GDR1 isn't even officially released yet so the likelihood of AT&T or VZW holding out till GDR1 to release Cyan as well is preposterous.

yeah I forgot ur situation sorry, I was kinda distracted but yeah u might have to go thru all that **** if they don't release Cyan before GDR1 becomes available. In Aussie its already been here a while but I refuse to downgrade

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, no matter which version of DP you're running, you would have to downgrade to 8.0 if you want to get Cyan as soon as it is available for your device. I'm in the same boat, but I refuse to downgrade and rather wait for Microsoft to fix the issue and start the rollout for those of us still running the DP.

I had downgraded almost 2 weeks ago, but this AM reinstalled 8.1DP. Just tired of waiting and in spite of myself checking phone update every 3-4 hours.

Now my phone is cranking along nicely; when AT&T does release Cyan for the 1020, maybe I'll downgrade; maybe I'll wait - but at least I'm not letting the issue run what's left of my brain anymore..

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm saying that Cyan will come wrapped up in GDR1. It wouldn't make sense and it will absolutely make them look clueless to both competition and consumers alike!

Certainly not. DP pushes out OS updates (in beta stage). It's highly unlikely that Cyan - the _firmware_ update - will come bundled with it.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Certainly not. DP pushes out OS updates (in beta stage). It's highly unlikely that Cyan - the _firmware_ update - will come bundled with it.

oh well u get that on the big jobs, I guess I'm downgrading too then but I swear if they keep pulling **** like this i'm outtie :/

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm saying that Cyan will come wrapped up in GDR1. It wouldn't make sense and it will absolutely make them look clueless to both competition and consumers alike!

It will not. GDR 1 will only come for people on Developer Preview. Cyan is a separate roll-out.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I had downgraded almost 2 weeks ago, but this AM reinstalled 8.1DP. Just tired of waiting and in spite of myself checking phone update every 3-4 hours.

Now my phone is cranking along nicely; when AT&T does release Cyan for the 1020, maybe I'll downgrade; maybe I'll wait - but at least I'm not letting the issue run what's left of my brain anymore..

Why did you downgrade when the update was not yet available? CHeck Nokia's availability page and the forums. Downgrade only when it is available.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
oh well u get that on the big jobs, I guess I'm downgrading too then but I swear if they keep pulling **** like this i'm outtie :/

What **** are they pulling? They discovered in issue in the BETA you were using. An issue that is only affecting a handful of users. If you wanted an OS without bugs (not to mention that no such thing even exists), without hiccups or anything, you shouldn't have participated. Well, you obviously were as impatient as many others, so you gotta deal with it. ;)

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
What **** are they pulling? They discovered in issue in the BETA you were using. An issue that is only affecting a handful of users. If you wanted an OS without bugs (not to mention that no such thing even exists), without hiccups or anything, you shouldn't have participated. Well, you obviously were as impatient as many others, so you gotta deal with it. ;)

Its not the issue that caused it that's bothering me and believe me being a practicing Buddhist I have plenty of patience, it's the complete silence that's f#cking me off. Yeah Joe tweeted that the GDR1 is ready but he couldn't have been any more vague!!!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Its not the issue that caused it that's bothering me and believe me being a practicing Buddhist I have plenty of patience, it's the complete silence that's f#cking me off. Yeah Joe tweeted that the GDR1 is ready but he couldn't have been any more vague!!!
He was pretty clear. Everyone on the DP, with or without Cyan will get to GDR 1.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Even though I agree with you about the silence, what else is a company supposed to do? If they promise to deliver on a specific date and can't keep that promise due to whatever issues, users would be pissed too. There's no way they could please everyone.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
He was pretty clear. Everyone on the DP, with or without Cyan will get to GDR 1.

Yeah I know that bro but what he failed to mention was whether there is a fix for the current issue or will we all either have to wait or downgrade. I just downloaded the drivers so I may as well downgrade n end this charade lol

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sounds to me like none of us are really sure what happens in the following situation:

Verizon
ICON
Presently on 8.0
Verizon has not released Cyan or 8.1 as yet
GDR1 won't do us any good if we don't have 8.1 already loaded.
Cyan & 8.1 from Verizon is a combined download whenever they release it.
Then we can get the GDR1 update.

Does this sound about right?
I haven't seen anything that says you can directly update to Cyan from Dev 8.1 because of the bittorrent problem, even if you don't have bit torrent loaded on your phone.

Is that statement correct?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Sounds to me like none of us are really sure what happens in the following situation:

Verizon
ICON
Presently on 8.0
Verizon has not released Cyan or 8.1 as yet
GDR1 won't do us any good if we don't have 8.1 already loaded.
Cyan & 8.1 from Verizon is a combined download whenever they release it.
Then we can get the GDR1 update.

Does this sound about right?
I haven't seen anything that says you can directly update to Cyan from Dev 8.1 because of the bittorrent problem, even if you don't have bit torrent loaded on your phone.

Is that statement correct?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

It's bitlocker, not bittorrent.

You can install developer preview and go to 8.1 now and 8.1 GDR 1 next week. The only thing you are missing this way is Bluetooth 4.0. Eventually MS might release a fix and you will get cyan directly from 8.1.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know that bro but what he failed to mention was whether there is a fix for the current issue or will we all either have to wait or downgrade. I just downloaded the drivers so I may as well downgrade n end this charade lol

Well, the only information from Microsoft regarding this issue is that whoever is on 8.1 DP should downgrade to 8.0 and then get CYAN. They have never mentioned that there would be a fix for this; everyone assumes there will be. If CYAN is already out for your phone, I say downgrade and then get CYAN. Then get DP and get GDR 1

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's bitlocker, not bittorrent.

You can install developer preview and go to 8.1 now and 8.1 GDR 1 next week. The only thing you are missing this way is Bluetooth 4.0. Eventually MS will release a fix and you will get cyan directly from 8.1.

Yeah on second thought I think this is gonna be my plan too as I don't really use Bluetooth all that much. Only for running but a wired headset won't kill me as long as its not too long

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah on second thought I think this is gonna be my plan too as I don't really use Bluetooth all that much. Only for running but a wired headset won't kill me as long as its not too long

Regular Bluetooth works just fine. Bluetooth 4.0 devices don't work e.g. Nokia treasure tag, fitness bands, smartwatches etc.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I just reverted back to 8.0 a couple days ago to just get it outta the way. Now do I need to do a hard reset after I reverted back to 8.0 then restore everything? Sorta off topic.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I just reverted back to 8.0 a couple days ago to just get it outta the way. Now do I need to do a hard reset after I reverted back to 8.0 then restore everything? Sorta off topic.

You should have seen the restore option after the roll back. If you skipped it, you need a factory reset to see that option again.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well, the only information from Microsoft regarding this issue is that whoever is on 8.1 DP should downgrade to 8.0 and then get CYAN. They have never mentioned that there would be a fix for this; everyone assumes there will be. If CYAN is already out for your phone, I say downgrade and then get CYAN. Then get DP and get GDR 1

This is what is annoying. They cant be bothered to fix the current problem yet they are gleefully encouraging people to update again to another preview version but don't bother to mention they'll probably still have to downgrade to get back to an official release path. Poor form, imo.

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
bro I went thru all that bull**** with 7.5 so I am well aware of the **** they pull. But like I said they wont distribute Cyan AND GDR1 separately coz it will make them look even stupider than they already do!

Really
GDR1 and Cyan together
That's the worst use of logic ever

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)