Windows Phone 8.1 Preview users will no longer need to downgrade their OS to get the latest release

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
lumia_cyan_925_lede.jpg

Should you still be rocking the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview and are looking to downgrade the operating system to get the full public release and Lumia Cyan, you won't have to carry out this task if you're able to hold on for another week. According to Joe Belfiore on Twitter, Microsoft will be upgrading those on the Developer Preview program to the full Windows Phone 8.1 public release next week.

Full story from the WPCentral blog...

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This was pulled because they assumed Update 1 was Cyan, which it is not.

Update 1 is the next MS update that includes folders, etc. and has nothing to do with Nokia additions to the firmware.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This was pulled because they assumed Update 1 was Cyan, which it is not.

Update 1 is the next MS update that includes folders, etc. and has nothing to do with Nokia additions to the firmware.

They didn't assume anything! They said they were surprised there was no mention of Cyan. My guess is they've gone off to rewrite the story

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I didn't see Joe's tweet when I looked either. Didn't realize the Twitter website hid it on a different tab.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Its says 8.1 update 1, not Cyan. You don't need Cyan to get to 8.1 update 1. I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's the confusion...

There was a statement that those who have the DP of 8.1 installed cannot install Cyan without downgrading to 8.0 first. Also MS pushed an update to 8.1 (not GDR1) a few weeks ago and then put a halt to it; whether it was the BitLocker issue or something else. Now the issue that halted that update; is that reason we have to downgrade to 8.0 in order to install Cyan?

Now comes GDR1 according to Joe's tweet we'll get this update next week without having to downgrade to 8.0. That's all well and good.

So what happens lets say VZW releases Cyan. Do we have to downgrade from 8.1 Update 1 to 8.0 first in order to get Cyan? Then install 8.1 GRD1?

My head is spinning with this.....

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Here's the confusion...

There was a statement that those who have the DP of 8.1 installed cannot install Cyan without downgrading to 8.0 first. Also MS pushed an update to 8.1 (not GDR1) a few weeks ago and then put a halt to it; whether it was the BitLocker issue or something else. Now the issue that halted that update; is that reason we have to downgrade to 8.0 in order to install Cyan?

Now comes GDR1 according to Joe's tweet we'll get this update next week without having to downgrade to 8.0. That's all well and good.

So what happens lets say VZW releases Cyan. Do we have to downgrade from 8.1 Update 1 to 8.0 first in order to get Cyan? Then install 8.1 GRD1?

My head is spinning with this.....

Yes, no matter which version of DP you're running, you would have to downgrade to 8.0 if you want to get Cyan as soon as it is available for your device. I'm in the same boat, but I refuse to downgrade and rather wait for Microsoft to fix the issue and start the rollout for those of us still running the DP.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You are all confusing this **** lol they wouldn't put update1 out unless the other issue was fixed, it wouldn't make sense!!! Your all freaking out over nothing lol

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I hope Cyan for 920 comes before GDR 1, otherwise I would have to update to GDR 1, then downgrade to 8.0, get cyan, install DP and update to GDR 1 again.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You are all confusing this **** lol they wouldn't put update1 out unless the other issue was fixed, it wouldn't make sense!!! Your all freaking out over nothing lol

Not freaking out just trying to understand what's going on between Cyan and GRD1. So you're saying that when VZW releases Cyan there's no need to downgrade?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Not freaking out just trying to understand what's going on between Cyan and GRD1. So you're saying that when VZW releases Cyan there's no need to downgrade?

I'm saying that Cyan will come wrapped up in GDR1. It wouldn't make sense and it will absolutely make them look clueless to both competition and consumers alike!

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You obviously dont know Microsoft very well.

bro I went thru all that bull**** with 7.5 so I am well aware of the **** they pull. But like I said they wont distribute Cyan AND GDR1 separately coz it will make them look even stupider than they already do!

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm saying that Cyan will come wrapped up in GDR1. It wouldn't make sense and it will absolutely make them look clueless to both competition and consumers alike!

GDR1 isn't even officially released yet so the likelihood of AT&T or VZW holding out till GDR1 to release Cyan as well is preposterous.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
bro I went thru all that bull**** with 7.5 so I am well aware of the **** they pull. But like I said they wont distribute Cyan AND GDR1 separately coz it will make them look even stupider than they already do!

What!!! 8.1 + Cyan is already rolling everywhere already so your statement is invalid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte