Microsoft says the kernel version for Windows 10 will jump from 6.4 to 10.0

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
modern_ie_windows_10_photo2.jpg

Microsoft is letting software developers know ahead of time of a major change in the kernel version number for Windows 10, which will soon jump from the current 6.4 to 10.0. This change could affect older Windows applications running on the OS.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
How is that going to affect phone upgrades? Sounds like WP7 >> WP8 again. I know it would have technically been possible to upgrade WP7 devices to WP8, but due to the potential issues and relatively small numbers Microsoft decided not to. I suppose if they face something like that again, the situation is different this time and it may be feasible. Either way, Microsoft already promised W(P)10 to WP8 devices.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
How is that going to affect phone upgrades? Sounds like WP7 >> WP8 again. I know it would have technically been possible to upgrade WP7 devices to WP8, but due to the potential issues and relatively small numbers Microsoft decided not to. I suppose if they face something like that again, the situation is different this time and it may be feasible. Either way, Microsoft already promised W(P)10 to WP8 devices.
I am curious how this will affect Windows Phones too. A promise from a big corporation is worth nothing in reality. It has as much meaning as a promise from a politician, lol. But let's hope they stay true to their word on this one.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How is that going to affect phone upgrades? Sounds like WP7 >> WP8 again.

Not at all. This is ONLY about software falling on its face due to an inability to gracefully deal with version NUMBER changes. It's the same issue that was exaggerated to the point of absurdity when some started speculating about why the name was changed to W10 instead of W9 (poorly implemented Java programs that couldn't differ between Windows 95, 98 and 9).

This is NOT at all about incompatibilities with the kernel itself. The article doesn't make it clear what the real issue is nor what the consequences are, which are fairly mundane. If you have the development environment setup and ready to go, then it's a 10 minute fix. Something that wouldn't be necessary if the original developer had been competent.

To be clear, I'm not saying there won't be any kernel level incompatibilities. There may be, but that is not what this is about.

I love WC, and think they generally do a really good job, but technical issues, particularly software related issues, are their weak spot. This is not the type of thing WC is good at writing about.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos