UK Prime Minister wants to ban encrypted messaging apps

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp_lead_Lumia_730_bluekeyboard.jpg

In the wake of the recent terrorist attacks in France, UK Prime Minister David Cameron has come out in support of banning encrypted messaging apps. According to a new report, Cameron alluded that he would be for banning encrypted communication apps, which could include WhatsApp, Snapchat, and Apple's iMessage.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I personally agree with the banning of any app, or infact any thing that prevents the security services from detecting any form of terrorism. Sure no one likes the idea that your messages, emails etc, may be read by some one else,but I would rather that, than these evil, dispicable monsters being able to plot acts of terrorism undetected.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree to not facilitating the hiding of terrorisom and crime.

I also agree with the responsible use of my personal data. I happen to trust Microsoft more than other providers.

I work on the basis that if I use a third party to store or encrypt my data, I'm effectively giving them that data and therefore at risk of identity theft or spam.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Like I said in the article comments, it's not like the terrorists will use something else. They are obviously law-abiding, right...?

Indeed, but if all your computer transactions are secure, what have the security services got to work on? unless you happen to have a conversation in a public place, next to a plain clothes police man, how can they build any sort of profile?

The funny thing is, Google probably know far more about you than the security services do, and nobody is worried about them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is slippery slope territory folks. To all my brothers and sisters outside the US, pay close attention. In the wake of the 9/11 attacks, our own government ran amok with our civil liberties under the guise of "protection" and even went as far as to call it the "Patriot Act". I have a natural bias as being Cuban-born, so distrust of the government in attempts to watch the citizenry is in my DNA.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's the answer folks: the terrorists and would-be-terrorists should not be allowed to use encrypted messaging apps, but the rest of us should.:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3