China set to receive a more powerful variant of Microsoft's Lumia 640 XL

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
lumia-640-xl-hero-cyan.jpg

China is set to receive a more powerful version of Microsoft's Lumia 640 XL, according to regulation body Teena. The handset has a large 5.7-inch display and will be updated to Windows 10 (for phones) when available. Simply put, it's quite the mid-range smartphone, but we're looking at some considerable improvements for the Chinese version.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Call it the 640 XL2.2 and release it in the US and I will be the first in line to FINIALLY replace my excellent 820.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
3 variations of the same model with vastly different specs... Odd. Wonder why they didn't just come with a 740 XL or 840 (XL). That processor speed bump is the biggest "wtf".

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
It's because some markets are obsessed with specs that do not truly alter the usefulness of the product. That soc and ram are wasted in most use cases on our os. But the device won't sell in China if the science words aren't cool enough.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
It's because some markets are obsessed with specs that do not truly alter the usefulness of the product. That soc and ram are wasted in most use cases on our os. But the device won't sell in China if the science words aren't cool enough.

As an owner of a 1520, 1020, 635 and 520, I have to disagree with that. The specs matter in performance. I merely don't understand why they are still calling this Chinese version a 6XX series when it sounds like its more in line with the 8XX, as a budget flagship device.

It's just confusing after Microsoft even acknowledged how confusing Nokia's naming was and were supposedly attempting to fix it.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree that specs matter, but I feel that most users would be hard pressed to truly see the difference. Point being, this is about making the number higher for marketing.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That's frustrating. We should get these specs in the USA. Aren't some of us spec chasers too?

I think it would bring the device more into the high end section and leave the regular 640 midrange.

I agree that it is frustrating but which country got Cortana first?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Remember the upgrade to the 520, the 525. US never got to see that. I doubt we will see this either. It would kill sales of the 830, if the 640 XL hasn't done that already. This is the processor and ram the 830 should have had

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss