Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Windows_Store_lede.jpg

Microsoft may finally be ready to announce that Windows 10 devices like smartphones, tablets and PC will be able to run Android apps. The latest rumor claims that the reveal might be made this week at the company's Build 2015 developer conference in San Francisco.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Android apps coming to Windows 10..according to Paul Thurrott

In an article today on thurrott.com, the usually reliable Paul Thurrott states that MS will "most likely" announce, this week, presumably at BUILD then, that Android apps will run on all versions of Windows 10, i.e. phones, pc's etc.. Paul is normally a very reliable source but he does not seem 100% certain about this but enough to post an article obviously. Could it be true?

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/3174/windows-android

Last edited:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android apps coming to Windows 10..according to Paul Thurrott

Hmmmm. Could this be native, emulator, etc??? I want to know this fo sho,

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

They wont "run". They will be easily ported to run native on Windows.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Very mixed feelings Windows plus Android

There is no proof this is going to happen. It's also been talked to death on this forum.

Rumours are simply that.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

While this news/possibility was revealed by Windows Central few weeks back, I would appreciate this move from MS. This is needed so badly to cover the app gap.

SymoClod

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site

@ runamuck83 ... I hope you're right - I would much prefer that to be the solution to the 'app gap' but that's not what the article seems to be saying. I guess we'll find out for sure sometime this week.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

This keeps coming up over & over again... Why can't anyone give a simple yes or no answer ??

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site

There is no proof this is going to happen. It's also been talked to death on this forum.

Rumours are simply that.

First off sorry for the double post - didn't think the first went through.

Agreed it has been talked to death which is why I was very reluctant to post it. However - I have followed Paul Thurrott for years and have found that he does not deal in rumors other than to shoot them down.

I think this is happening Windows +Android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This keeps coming up over & over again... Why can't anyone give a simple yes or no answer ??

Because it's speculation.
Companies don't usually comment on rumors and other stuff.

Honestly, I don't see it as a huge plus. While it IS a plus, Blackberry, even with its Android app layer and all, isn't much further ahead IMO. Snapchat is practically a no-go among others there too. It's going to help, but its not the silver bullet because of Google Play Services.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

They wont "run". They will be easily ported to run native on Windows.

Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say all along that everyone always takes out of proportion. It's not Android apps on WP running in an emulator like BB10, its an Android app that is then easily ported and repackaged as a native Windows app.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site

At this point I'm actually hoping that this does happen. Would be a good short term strategy to potentially pull in new users. And help close the app gap until a more permanent solution is put into action.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site

This should be huge Plus for WP users. Don't care abt BlackBerry but WP will definitely get an edge with advent of W10 + Android apps.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Meh.. I think this would signal the end for WP. I hope it isn't true.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Besides myself, anybody else here using a BlackBerry with 10.3? The reason I ask is because I keep reading the same tired posts over and over about how Android apps don't run well on BlackBerry. If you haven't tried it on 10.3 then you don't know what you're talking about. There is zero difference between a BB and a KitKat Android device.

If WP10 can "run" Android apps as well as BlackBerry, who cares? Android and iOS users are enjoying Microsoft apps on their devices and they're not shunning their own handsets for not using "native" apps. Why should anybody else? I never once heard anybody say to a Mac user "You're using Office for Mac? I wouldn't be caught dead using anything except iWork." Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Thurrott is one of the few decent Windows blogger, and he has good sources. This is most likely true.

I wasn't expecting It so soon, however It's definitely great news for the platform.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
How is it going to work exactly? Can someone explain it to me. [Sorry, I'm a noob at this] For example, we can have two versions of whatsapp installed in our phone? One .apk and another .xap version?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750