Microsoft rumored to announce Android apps support for Windows 10 at Build 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Very mixed feelings - Windows + Android

Another issue I could see involves paid Android apps. If I have Android apps that I bought from Google Play, would I need to buy them again for Windows?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

I have the Snap app on my Passport. I log in to my Google account and every purchase I've ever made is listed. Unless the app requires Play services, they work. Yes, paid apps too. I use my paid Docs To Go in lieu of the freebie that came with my Passport because of the OneDrive integration. Although I can't download directly from the Play Store, my Passport shows up as one of my "Android" devices.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I wish people would get their hands dirty and understand that the new Android Runtime introduced with the Passport and Classic via 10.3 works very well. As much as I enjoy the increased functionality of my Passport, I will hang onto my Lumia until Windows 10 comes. For me, there's not one credible reason that would make me switch away from my 1520 if an Android emulator came along. That would just make my experience all the better. It's not just about apps. WP and BlackBerry are superior to iOS and Android in data resource management, power management and just plain run better. IN MY OPINION.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

the reason you have a Windows Phone is because you like Windows Phone.

Thank you for not putting the cart before the horse. Myself and I bet most of you use Windows Phone because we prefer the OS and/or the hardware. Very few of you use a WP because of a third party app. I might be so bold as to say none of you.

We will continue to use WP for the very reasons we are using it now. Great hardware, great first party apps, solid OS that just plain works better than the rest.

So what does this change actually do? It lowers third party costs to put their app on the Microsoft App Store. . It gives Microsoft equal ground to Android in terms of development time/cost but also provides the install base of not just phone users but PC and Xbox as well. Thanks to Cyanogen this move also gives developers another valid reason to not tie their app into google services. This is significant in terms of marginalizing google's advantages as the Microsoft App Store would have a larger user pool than google.

This is not a capitulation it's the first salvo of a coup d'?tat.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

It really depends on what comes out of Build, tomorrow:
- will there be an emulator to run Android apps unadulterated?

- or, will porting / recompiling / rebuilding (& optimizing) Android apps codebase to Windows phone, suddenly become much easier, minimal developer resources expended, with another revenue stream.

IF done correctly (this option), optimized for Win10, put it thru our migrator might be a boon for Windows phone. These Android apps might actually run better on Windows 10.

BTW - I'm a software Dev, but know next to nothing about mobile Android apps.
We'll see in the next few days, how & what & if TRUE.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Working great for blackberry. /s

It's pretty solid on the Passport. Maybe a bit less on a Z10 since it's a slower CPU and memory.

But no one is forced to run Android apps. Just don't install them, problem solved.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty solid on the Passport. Maybe a bit less on a Z10 since it's a slower CPU and memory.

But no one is forced to run Android apps. Just don't install them, problem solved.

Can I get a witness up in here!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a strong belief that Microsoft will announce a unified IDE that will allow devs to write a single app that will work on both Windows / Android. Much like the way a dev can choose to compile their app to run on ARM, x86, x64 - Android will be another option.

By doing it this way, Microsoft creates a trojan horse effect becoming to dev tool of choice for Android apps.

Additionally, this new product/tool will also easily port existing Android code to Windows with minimal developer effort required.

This is going to be a crowning day for Microsoft. Microsoft is going to attack Google by pulling the rug out from underneath them.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Can I get a witness up in here!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

I was saying in regards to, having android apps certainly hasn't made any sort of significant improvement for their adoption rates whatsoever. Blackberry is still irrelevant even WITH android apps.

So I fail to see how this will help windows.

Saying that we don't have to use Android Apps is silly considering I KNOW that. But the fact that developer's likely will do what they do with Blackberry and not make as many native apps anymore, I guess if I plan to use my smartphone AS a smartphone I eventually will have to use android apps in the first place.

If Instagram pulls its Instagram app and I use Instagram I can use 6tag or if I want certain features, I'd have to download the android apps.

To me this whole concept is similar to taking out a loan. I lack the cash to pay for what I need so I take out a loan....in the short term it does help out but then in the long term, I now have to deal with debt. Or I just took a steroid boost and it gave me performance boost in the short term but in the long term it tires me out faster OR has adverse effects.

In this case, Microsoft is taking on android apps potentially with the idea that it'll raise adoption rates. It may give them a higher app count but what happens then when it also kills the 'universal app' mentality they've been preaching out, it doesn't actually GET anymore adoptions than we already have AND they risk alienating part of their userbase entirely.

Because last I checked, Android apps have been on Blackberry apps for awhile and as nice as the OS is, it really has done nothing to help them except signal defeat in the fact they no longer are relevant enough to get apps on their own.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android apps coming to Windows 10..according to Paul Thurrott

This, and all the people threatening to move to Android, is the part that makes no sense.

"If my Windows phone suddenly gains the capability to run Android apps, I will move to something that doesn't."

"If my Windows phone suddenly gains the capability to run Android apps, I will move to an Android that can't run Windows apps."

Both statements make equal sense, if the reason you have a Windows Phone is because you like Windows Phone.

I will huff and I will puff and I'll BLOOOOOW my house down. Then I will bite my nose off to spite my face. Does any of that make sense to you?

That's cute. Condescending but cute lol.

It has nothing to do with Spiting anything or anyone. I am not threatening to move to Android or IPhone from Windows phone because of android apps. It may very well turn out to be a good thing.

Why I would leave windows phone and I am probably the BIGGEST lumia fan here....and I love my camera to death....is because of Microsoft. Been using their OS and Lumia phones for nearly 3 years. I work selling their products for goodness sake. But this half-baked ideology they have and some of the decisions they made over the years I don't agree with.

I am not one of those people who harp on the fact that they have better version of their apps for competing OS...but they do. At the expense of making their own users and fans wait and wait and wait. How long did it take us to get a half-decent Skype app?

Or in the case of Lumia apps...you're handicapping and taking away defining features/apps for Lumia phones to try and make your OEMs happy because they make products that are not as good and almost nobody buys them. Instead of strengthening your product that is selling, you're weakening it.

Xbox gaming for WIndows Phone...Nuff said.

In this case, Android apps....Instead of you fully making it easier for the developers, you made it hard and have been speaking about universal apps but android apps plus universal apps...it doesn't seem like the two can co-exist. If I can run Android apps, then why do I need to bother with windows apps anymore and why do developer's need to bother with making them native.

The OS itself has lost its way from being a unique OS with compelling features to adding in features from other OSes but doing so poorly and removing features that were fan favorites instead of finding a way to strengthen them OR make them co-exist. Hubs anyone?

Xbox Music and how you butchered it and expected users to be okay with a work in progress...again, nuff said.

The fact that I haven't seen a major Windows Phone flagship(No I do not kind the M8 as it is irrelevant) since my 1520 in 2013.
I can go on and on.

If I leave Windows Phone, it would be for Apple because Apple is a company who was at the bottom and came back strong with a compelling product. iPhone lacked many things from the start(and to this day, still does compared to others) and yet it also had a lot of strengths and refined its competitors weaknesses.

It doesn't simply CHASE what others are doing. It takes it time...to refine and come out with the same thing BUT better. It doesn't provide an exceptional product on COMPETITORS and barely passable/suitable on its own platform.

I like that and unfortunately Microsoft appears half the time to be afraid to take risk by going all out and they appear to lack confidence in their own products.

The only thing that I can remotely say I do have a hard time moving from is Surface.

But this back and forth with windows phone and the continuing dumbing it down instead of refining it is why I would leave Windows Phone. it having android apps is really not the place.

Because at the end of the day, If I am going to have to settle(and let's face it, in one way or another whether we love windows Phone or not, we are settling for this or that), I may as well settle with the OS with the best and cohesive experience that doesn't know what it wants to do or be.

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I've heard many people say they're going to leave WP if MS announces android apps. I'm in the COMPLETE opposite boat. I'm a 1,000 times more likely to leave if they DON'T give us android apps.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^ The question still stands. What do any of your long posts about app counts, market share or relevance have to do with the topic? In case you missed it, the point of having Android, or any other apps, is to enhance the experience. It's made to help those who would otherwise leave the platform because of a specific app or function their preferred OS lacks. If you're happy with all that you get from WP, you're set. I'm not completely fulfilled so I purchased a Passport while I wait on WP to catch up. It's not settling, it's being prudent. Spreading bias and misinformation does not help the cause.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
^^ The question still stands. What do any of your long posts about app counts, market share or relevance have to do with the topic? In case you missed it, the point of having Android, or any other apps, is to enhance the experience. It's made to help those who would otherwise leave the platform because of a specific app or function their preferred OS lacks. If you're happy with all that you get from WP, you're set. I'm not completely fulfilled so I purchased a Passport while I wait on WP to catch up. It's not settling, it's being prudent. Spreading bias and misinformation does not help the cause.
At what point did I spread bias or misinformation. If I wanted android apps then people will buy android phones.

Considering I work with the average Joe, why would a person want phone a that has android over phone b that has windows but can get android. Most average joes are going to get the android phone.

This also potentially ruins the experience for those of us who do want native apps. I am not sure what you don't understand about that. I get your point though. But this is a short term thing that likely will not even have any positive effect.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and a 1520. I have watchespn on both. If I use the Note, it will crash at least 5 times in a 2 hour period... not one crash on the 1520... I'm not sure how this will work but I guess we'll see.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Considering I work with the average Joe, why would a person want phone a that has android over phone b that has windows but can get android. Most average joes are going to get the android phone.

Your assumptions come off as gospel and you have a habit (and history) of wanting to force your opinions. Like.....now.

Most people I know want the most bang for their buck and would choose your phone B. Nobody batted an eye when Intel Macs were able to run Windows in Boot Camp. Did it make a dent in Windows PC sales? Hardly. Did it improve Mac sales? Marginally, but it did. As one poster mentioned earlier, if you have a Windows Phone it's because you like Windows Phone. Adding non-native apps is not compelling enough to make anybody jump ship on principle alone.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Here's a theory - what if windows have found a way to port android apps to windows 10 universal apps?

One of the major objections is that it interferes with windows current strategy, I agree that would not make sense, what if it doesn't through, what if these are universal apps, changed by some Microsoft creativity from android to windows with minimal work from developers?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If you look at the "what to expect from Build 2015" article and read the comments, Daniel says that adding Android app support to the UAP is what he's leaning on. Tom Warren has teased it multiple times on Twitter, sometimes flat out saying it.
Tom Warren is not what I'd call a reliable source. He loves sensationalism and click-bait, and has been known to be wrong quite often.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that we should really wait until after the announcements to see what will actually happen, then we'll know what to discuss.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Exactly.

90% of this thread seems premature to me. For this particular topic, the details matter more than they did for any other issue discussed here in years.

If true, I'm hoping for Android emulation. Android apps will then run rather poorly, and we'll need a 3GB device to offer the same experience as a 2GB Android or 1GB WP8.1 device, but at least the OS we know and love will remain intact.

The alternative involves MS making fundamental changes to WP, aligning it more closely with Android, in particular WP's security (e.g. sandboxing) and runtime models (e.g. background tasks). It's not worth getting into the details at this point, but if that's MS' approach, then WP will no longer be the WP that we know and love, but something else, which will require us to reevaluate whether we still like it.

Those are huge differences. Assuming the rumor is even true, without more information, it's impossible to say where this is all headed.

Last edited:

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
BB10 already tried this and failed miserably. They had an Android runtime from the beginning, that allowed devs to port their Android apps (apk)to the native BB10 format (.bar files). Some ported popular apps include Skype and Viber. The side-effect was that some apps that were fully native started to be replaced with ported android apps. Right now, BB10 can run pure apk's as well, but are laggy and sometimes buggy. Of course apps that require Google Play services need to be patched in order to work properly.

If you visit our neighbours at Crackberry, there is a "workaround" mentality towards apps. If a user needs an app that is not available in their app stores (yes they have 2 app-stores) the responses will be: "you must use version A of app X, patch it with tool Y, sideload it, ignore Z number of warnings and sometimes slow performance and you can use the app". This is not something general consumers should have to go through. Android apps in BB10 may have filled the needs of loyal customers, but has done very very little to increase sales.

So far nobody had success in the western world with an Android phone without Google Play services. I also think that a side-effect of WP10 running Android apks (if the rumor proves true) is that Google might force apps in its own store to use Google play services and that prevent apps from properly running on non-Google Android phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb