04-29-2015 03:17 PM
104 123 ...
tools

Microsoft may finally be ready to announce that Windows 10 devices like smartphones, tablets and PC will be able to run Android apps. The latest rumor claims that the reveal might be made this week at the company's Build 2015 developer conference in San Francisco.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...
    04-28-2015 08:11 AM
    In an article today on thurrott.com, the usually reliable Paul Thurrott states that MS will "most likely" announce, this week, presumably at BUILD then, that Android apps will run on all versions of Windows 10, i.e. phones, pc's etc.. Paul is normally a very reliable source but he does not seem 100% certain about this but enough to post an article obviously. Could it be true?

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/andr...indows-android
    Last edited by SymoClod; 04-28-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    Kevin Rush and prasath1234 like this.
    04-28-2015 09:49 AM
    04-28-2015 09:56 AM
    Hmmmm. Could this be native, emulator, etc??? I want to know this fo sho,
    04-28-2015 10:14 AM
    That is both wonderful and troubling.
    04-28-2015 10:16 AM
    They wont "run". They will be easily ported to run native on Windows.
    04-28-2015 10:18 AM
    There is no proof this is going to happen. It's also been talked to death on this forum.

Rumours are simply that.
    a5cent and prasath1234 like this.
    04-28-2015 10:22 AM
    While this news/possibility was revealed by Windows Central few weeks back, I would appreciate this move from MS. This is needed so badly to cover the app gap.
    Blu3V3nom07 and prasath1234 like this.
    04-28-2015 10:27 AM
    @ runamuck83 ... I hope you're right - I would much prefer that to be the solution to the 'app gap' but that's not what the article seems to be saying. I guess we'll find out for sure sometime this week.
    04-28-2015 10:28 AM
    This keeps coming up over & over again... Why can't anyone give a simple yes or no answer ??
    04-28-2015 10:29 AM
    There is no proof this is going to happen. It's also been talked to death on this forum.

Rumours are simply that.
    First off sorry for the double post - didn't think the first went through.

Agreed it has been talked to death which is why I was very reluctant to post it. However - I have followed Paul Thurrott for years and have found that he does not deal in rumors other than to shoot them down.

I think this is happening Windows +Android
    04-28-2015 10:34 AM
    This keeps coming up over & over again... Why can't anyone give a simple yes or no answer ??
    Because we'll all find out at BUILD...No spoilers...
    04-28-2015 10:34 AM
    Because it's speculation.
    Companies don't usually comment on rumors and other stuff.

Honestly, I don't see it as a huge plus. While it IS a plus, Blackberry, even with its Android app layer and all, isn't much further ahead IMO. Snapchat is practically a no-go among others there too. It's going to help, but its not the silver bullet because of Google Play Services.
    RumoredNow and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-28-2015 10:36 AM
    They wont "run". They will be easily ported to run native on Windows.
    Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say all along that everyone always takes out of proportion. It's not Android apps on WP running in an emulator like BB10, its an Android app that is then easily ported and repackaged as a native Windows app.
    04-28-2015 10:37 AM
    At this point I'm actually hoping that this does happen. Would be a good short term strategy to potentially pull in new users. And help close the app gap until a more permanent solution is put into action.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-28-2015 10:37 AM
    This should be huge Plus for WP users. Don't care abt BlackBerry but WP will definitely get an edge with advent of W10 + Android apps.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-28-2015 10:39 AM
    Meh.. I think this would signal the end for WP. I hope it isn't true.
    04-28-2015 10:44 AM
    Besides myself, anybody else here using a BlackBerry with 10.3? The reason I ask is because I keep reading the same tired posts over and over about how Android apps don't run well on BlackBerry. If you haven't tried it on 10.3 then you don't know what you're talking about. There is zero difference between a BB and a KitKat Android device.

If WP10 can "run" Android apps as well as BlackBerry, who cares? Android and iOS users are enjoying Microsoft apps on their devices and they're not shunning their own handsets for not using "native" apps. Why should anybody else? I never once heard anybody say to a Mac user "You're using Office for Mac? I wouldn't be caught dead using anything except iWork." Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?
    04-28-2015 10:57 AM
    Thurrott is one of the few decent Windows blogger, and he has good sources. This is most likely true.

I wasn't expecting It so soon, however It's definitely great news for the platform.
    04-28-2015 11:04 AM
    How is it going to work exactly? Can someone explain it to me. [Sorry, I'm a noob at this] For example, we can have two versions of whatsapp installed in our phone? One .apk and another .xap version?...
    prasath1234 and Kevin Rush like this.
    04-28-2015 11:13 AM
    How is it going to work exactly? Can someone explain it to me. [Sorry, I'm a noob at this] For example, we can have two versions of whatsapp installed in our phone? One .apk and another .xap version?...
    From what I'm getting, they will be in our Store.

Also, I'm sensing Build will reveal a dev feature that Android doesn't have.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-28-2015 11:15 AM
    ...It's definitely great news for the platform....
    The opinions seem to be polarized on this. Personally, If true, I happen to think it's bad news for the platform.

Nothing to do but wait and see....
    Jack Janik likes this.
    04-28-2015 11:27 AM
    From what I'm getting, they will be in our Store.

Also, I'm sensing Build will reveal a dev feature that Android doesn't have.
    So if we are allowed to have both versions of an app installed then I think it will be a mess... I mean, imagine having several copies of a software installed in every drives of your computer including C drive.
    04-28-2015 11:39 AM
    Because it's speculation.
    Companies don't usually comment on rumors and other stuff.

Honestly, I don't see it as a huge plus. While it IS a plus, Blackberry, even with its Android app layer and all, isn't much further ahead IMO. Snapchat is practically a no-go among others there too. It's going to help, but its not the silver bullet because of Google Play Services.
    Besides myself, anybody else here using a BlackBerry with 10.3? The reason I ask is because I keep reading the same tired posts over and over about how Android apps don't run well on BlackBerry. If you haven't tried it on 10.3 then you don't know what you're talking about. There is zero difference between a BB and a KitKat Android device.

If WP10 can "run" Android apps as well as BlackBerry, who cares? Android and iOS users are enjoying Microsoft apps on their devices and they're not shunning their own handsets for not using "native" apps. Why should anybody else? I never once heard anybody say to a Mac user "You're using Office for Mac? I wouldn't be caught dead using anything except iWork." Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?
    Besides Snapchat, what other Android apps don't run at all on BB10? Which apps require Google services?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-28-2015 11:43 AM
    So if we are allowed to have both versions of an app installed then I think it will be a mess... I mean, imagine having several copies of a software installed in every drives of your computer including C drive.
    I'm guessing the same, certain apps work better on windows and vice versa, wondering if the apps will be optimized for windows phones, also wouldn't that mean that windows will face the same security issues which Android has?
    prasath1234 likes this.
    04-28-2015 11:43 AM
104 123 ...