Poll: What do you think of the Microsoft Edge name?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
microsoft-edge.jpg

Project Spartan is no more. Well, in name, at least. During day one of Build 2015 Microsoft finally announced the true and proper name for its all new web browser for Windows 10. And that'd be Microsoft Edge.
Project Spartan had a lot of supporters when it came to its name. The Halo connection coupled with its assistant, Cortana, seemed like a great match. Microsoft decided otherwise and here we are. But what do you think of it?

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Do you think "Edge" would be the best name of the new IE "Project Spartan"

Microsoft please make "Edge" the name of the next version of IE which codenamed now as "Project Spartan".
Edge is easy meaningful name. also it will have a logo similar to IE as they both starts with the letter "E". The logo similarities is good to make people know that this is the thing to browse the internet but oh it is not Internet Explorer, it is Edge instead. a totally new fast browser.
If you think "Edge" is good name, please vote here to let Microsoft know
https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...ke-edge-the-name-of-the-new-ie-project-sparta

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you think "Edge" would be the best name of the new IE "Project Spartan"

I kinda like "Endeavor"
Edge too, even Spartan by itself.

benjobaggins

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

This may sound out there but I really like the thought of it being called Halo...

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I do not think they should keep the e for familiarity or sentimental reasons. If they want to make a next step with the browser, they should let go of the past and embrace the new.
I still think they should keep the name functional: (windows) internet browser (10) or something of similar nature. Windows or microsoft branding is enough. After all the new OS is also basic...."windows 10". Period.

What I see is a strange tradition of naming functional software odd names that don't always stick in the long run. Keep it simple so that people speak the same language. Even I still forget sometimes that opera and chrome are also browsers, not just the theatre and a metalic covering on a surface like a car. With Internet Browser there is no confusing and globally everyone speaks the same and understands directly. Just drop the symbolic naming thing. Too much effort.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

I do not think they should keep the e for familiarity or sentimental reasons. If they want to make a next step with the browser, they should let go of the past and embrace the new.
I still think they should keep the name functional: (windows) internet browser (10) or something of similar nature. Windows or microsoft branding is enough. After all the new OS is also basic...."windows 10". Period.

What I see is a strange tradition of naming functional software odd names that don't always stick in the long run. Keep it simple so that people speak the same language. Even I still forget sometimes that opera and chrome are also browsers, not just the theatre and a metalic covering on a surface like a car. With Internet Browser there is no confusing and globally everyone speaks the same and understands directly. Just drop the symbolic naming thing. Too much effort.

In the 'modern age' however, one could argue that 'say what you see' names are seen as uncool and difficult to market effectively. At least with something like Edge or Endeavour or Spartan they could use word-play and imagery to market it, whereas Internet Browser may sound clunky and outdated. Not necessarily my point of view, but perhaps an insight from the younger generation (and a business student).

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

In the 'modern age' however, one could argue that 'say what you see' names are seen as uncool and difficult to market effectively. At least with something like Edge or Endeavour or Spartan they could use word-play and imagery to market it, whereas Internet Browser may sound clunky and outdated. Not necessarily my point of view, but perhaps an insight from the younger generation (and a business student).

It depends: in emerging markets it will be a younger generation, but I think the cool naming is only a US thing. Globally, it makes sense to just keep ik plain and simple.

In many western countries, the group of adults and elderly are quickly growing and the younger are becoming a smaller market. Being cool is less important. Clarity is. Naming according to function is enough and putting effort into cool namebranding for native OS software is far less iimportant. Performance, stability, costs and security become the focus.

When I say I look up websites that are good, cool and worth mentioning and sharing, I hear myself and others say, I just surfed or found this and that on the internet, or I was browsing this and that. I don't say I was chroming or opera-int or firefoxing or internet exploring.

The modern age is not perse the world of Edge or Endeavor or Spartan. It's a tradition by companys, not because we as consumers determined it was cool to do this in the modern age.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

It depends: in emerging markets it will be a younger generation, but I think the cool naming is only a US thing. Globally, it makes sense to just keep ik plain and simple.

In many western countries, the group of adults and elderly are quickly growing and the younger are becoming a smaller market. Being cool is less important. Clarity is. Naming according to function is enough and putting effort into cool namebranding for native OS software is far less iimportant. Performance, stability, costs and security become the focus.

When I say I look up websites that are good, cool and worth mentioning and sharing, I hear myself and others say, I just surfed or found this and that on the internet, or I was browsing this and that. I don't say I was chroming or opera-int or firefoxing or internet exploring.

The modern age is not perse the world of Edge or Endeavor or Spartan. It's a tradition by companys, not because we as consumers determined it was cool to do this in the modern age.

The part about mentioning the internet is interesting - one thing that stood out for me is the prevalence of "iPhone" instead of simply phone. Whereas most non-iPhone users would just say their phone. I honestly think that to market to the youngsters it's important to have a "cool" name - they'll be the ones explaining to their (grand)parents how to use Windows 10 anyway.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Spartan is the best IMO. It sounds strong just by its name so if somehow they can make it a really fast stable browser, the name would really fit. But hey, anything would be better than keeping "Internet explorer" in it, they need to get rid of it.

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I think if they're going to stick IE before any name it should be Spartan. A lot of people in the Windows community clearly love it according to the Windows Uservoice. If they decided to drop IE entirely then it should just be Spartan Browser. Though they don't necessarily have to tack on the Browser part, they could call it Spartan Browser for a while to allow new users to familiarize themselves with it and after a couple of releases just drop the end part. By that time people will or at least should know what Spartan is used for.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

UptownWebhead

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Plus I'm not sure how people will feel about:

"Microsoft introduces new browser with Windows 10.

IE Edge or Edge is an all new modern browser for Windows. Edge is powered by the Edge engine to offer users blazing fast speeds and cutting edge features..."

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I do not disagree that Spartan is a great name. but Edge feels easier and lighter and has a good meaning. also and more important it starts with "E" which in my opinion is very important. the majority of people will never know or here about the new browser called Spartan and they will not realize its logo but if they see enhanced "E" logo pinned to there taskbar they will naturally know and discover the new browser. we are talking here about facts and the fact say that most of the desktop internet usage is done using IE (around 60% of the internet usage) and those 60% need to see the "E" logo to easily discover the new browser.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

I also like Edge better than Spartan. Spartan sounds too cheesy to me.

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Spartan is the best IMO. It sounds strong just by its name so if somehow they can make it a really fast stable browser, the name would really fit. But hey, anything would be better than keeping "Internet explorer" in it, they need to get rid of it.

I agree, the Spartan people were bred from birth to be warriors. From birth with a specific purpose.

Spartan browser built from the ground up for power and efficiency.

Its a well thought out name

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

In general, I don't think the public has a positive view of Internet Explorer. The name evokes the Microsoft of the 1990s that the public does not remember all that fondly. Many have opted for Firefox or Chrome and, to this day, refuse to give IE another shot (though I think they should, it's pretty darn good).

MS needs to distance itself from anything that even sniffs of IE. That means no Edge and no similar logo/icon. When the time comes for the wide public release, it should be Spartan. This is the new Microsoft, the name should be fresh.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

In general, I don't think the public has a positive view of Internet Explorer. The name evokes the Microsoft of the 1990s that the public does not remember all that fondly. Many have opted for Firefox or Chrome and, to this day, refuse to give IE another shot (though I think they should, it's pretty darn good).

MS needs to distance itself from anything that even sniffs of IE. That means no Edge and no similar logo/icon. When the time comes for the wide public release, it should be Spartan. This is the new Microsoft, the name should be fresh.

Pretty much this.

You guys are talking about familiarity, keeping the same logo would be the worst thing Microsoft could do with this, people associate logos with names more than anything, if they keep the logo, then the name will mean absolutely nothing, that logo is IE, no matter how much Microsoft changes the browser and name, if it has that logo, it will be IE to them.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I can understand that a "new" browser could use a new name. But for the average user I think, for familiarities sake and practical sake I think its best to stick with the name and logo and just upgrade the number. I think the people who post on this thread, including me, are extraordinarily enthusiastic and on the forefront of a significant change, but for the average user they wouldn't think this enthusiastically about a browser name. I think they just want to use the browser and be able to use it in a meaningful conversation that everyone gets once you talk about using the internet in casual conversation. I think many wouldn't make an associaltion in a first conversation about "you wouldn't believe what I browsed on/with Edge/Spartan today." "That's nice dear, I'm glad you're picking up your interest in history" "I always did like the Romans" "Did you know the were ahead of their time back then, "on the cutting edge" so to speak!".

I thinik Internet explorer 13 or internet browser 10 would be better. Dull, yes, but everyone would know immediately know what you're talking about, even outside the English speaking countries.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Not sure if Microsoft could even use the name Edge since it is a trade marked name for the Edge Network. They may use it internally, but I don't see this as ever being a consumer product name.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Market share is a key. And the majority of this share just know the e logo if they don't they will naturally look for another famous browser. People like us who are technology enthusiasm and watchers will be happy using it whatever the name is. And people who never used IE will hear about the new browser and they will try it. All of this solved by having new browser name that begins with e and have a logo similar but newer than the d logo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss