Best password manager for Windows

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
[h=2]The Best: Enpass Visit Site[/h]
enpass-lead2.jpg

Enpass has everything a Windows user wants from a password manager. It has a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app, it works well with Windows Hello, an Edge extension will be available for everyone in the Anniversary Update, its service is free to use (no subscription; the Windows 10 app costs about $10), it is available cross-platform for people with multiple devices, and it stores your data locally.
Bottom-line: If you want a password manager that offers a UWP app, works with Windows Hello, and has an Edge extension, you have to go with Enpass.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have some questions about Enpass, being new to it as of about an hour ago. I downloaded the UWP app version onto my L950 and also on to my Win10 PC, figured out how to add some logins and generate passwords etc. Also got it to sync with my OneDrive account, so far so good. But to get browser extensions to work (in my case Firefox), it would seem that it is necessary to also install the Win32 desktop version of the app, is this right? If so, is the UWP version incomplete or something? If you have to have the desktop version installed for some of the important features, whats the point of the UWP app on Windows 10 DESKTOP?

I may be misunderstanding something, in which case, please enlighten me, because on the face of it, it seems the newer UWP version is lacking somewhat. I assume that UWP apps do not work in the same way as Win32 apps and therefore the UWP version cannot support addons/extensions like the Win32 version does. If so, why would anyone use the UWP app on desktop Windows?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the person can use it on a tablet or they just want to have a more touch-friendly version available?

I'll admit its tough for me to use, or remember to use UWP apps when I can just load up the website or desktop Win32 app.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's a very useful app and the UWP version works very well on phone and desktop, but I think it should be made a little clearer somewhere what the limitations are. The UWP version on desktop Windows isn't (it would seem) a replacement for the Win32 app.

Aside from my criticisms, I actually like the product very much. Being able to use the browser extension with Firefox is very useful.

The only concern I have is what impact it will have on my Microsoft account if I change the password there, I have 2fa enabled and my MS account is tied into my Xbox account and phone as well. I'm a little reluctant to generate and use a new pw from enpass with my MS account until I know what the ramifications are.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I use Keypass as it's available for Android and a Windows desktop app but you can save the DB to Onedrive.

Enpass does this too, and is available for Android and IOS as well. I also have my encrypted Enpass database sync'ed to my OneDrive account too, easy to configure, and if you prefer, it can be used with other online services such as DropBox, GoogleDrive etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos