The Unified Update Platform for Windows 10 is bringing faster, targeted OS updates

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
build-14955-update.jpg

Microsoft is today announcing the latest iteration in of their Windows as a Service program for Windows 10. Due to the frequency of OS updates, the change will bring faster and smaller OS updates that are targeted to a user's PC or mobile device.
The Unified Update Platform (UUP) is a new set of technologies that allows for "differential downloads," which in layman's terms means targeted OS updates. An existing analogy is how games in the Windows Stores that are 60GB on initial download have updates that are only a few gigabytes in size instead of having to redownload the entire game.

Now, that same principle is being applied to OS updates with a significant reduction in OS updates for milestone releases.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

baclark1466

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Just updated to 14971, and was searching for "install.esd" in the Sources folder. Not there! I assume due to the UUP process. How can we make (or can we) an ISO file to update from a CD? I have one machine that will not download the update, so it is stuck at 14959. An ISO would solve that.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Just updated to 14971, and was searching for "install.esd" in the Sources folder. Not there! I assume due to the UUP process. How can we make (or can we) an ISO file to update from a CD? I have one machine that will not download the update, so it is stuck at 14959. An ISO would solve that.
You're talking about the creators update, correct? It has not gone public yet and still an insider release only. In previous builds when it finally goes to Production. That initial leap in build number is downloadable as an iso in which you could extract the image...however maybe with the the UUP things are changing.

sent by mTalk

baclark1466

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
The stuck laptop is on fast ring, but nothing is showing up. I just switched to slow ring, so it is downloading 14965. Maybe switching back to fast ring after will get me back on track. Still, sometimes the ISO update from USB or Cd was faster. Checkout C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources folder. No install.esd, which we could convert to an ISO. Pretty sure this is due to the new implementation of incremental upgrades.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The stuck laptop is on fast ring, but nothing is showing up. I just switched to slow ring, so it is downloading 14965. Maybe switching back to fast ring after will get me back on track. Still, sometimes the ISO update from USB or Cd was faster. Checkout C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources folder. No install.esd, which we could convert to an ISO. Pretty sure this is due to the new implementation of incremental upgrades.
Oh ya, you are correct. It would have been contained in that folder. I am not sure if the further move in version numbering were cumulative updates or if the UUP has anything to do with the esd file not being there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon