Microsoft is serious about hardware, but not for the reasons you think

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
surface-studio-abb1.jpg

Microsoft is a hardware company but not in the way you think.
Allow me to clarify. Microsoft isn't strictly, nor even primarily a hardware company. Redmond is a software and services company, but they are dead serious about hardware. And this sincerity is not simply a means to demonstrate to potential partners how their software and services are supposed to work on Window 10 hardware.
dell-surface6.jpg

Microsoft's first-party hardware isn't strictly aspirational.
I know that contradicts the prevailing wisdom regarding the purpose of Redmond's first-party hardware. We live and learn. Mary Jo Foley recently posed a question to Microsoft's Windows Chief Terry Myerson regarding Microsoft's continued involvement in hardware:
One of the reasons Microsoft introduced Surface, I think, was because OEMs were doing a terrible job at the time of building compelling devices?But now that Microsoft has shown OEMs how to do it, and they've done it, why is Microsoft staying in hardware now?
Myerson's responses ultimately culminated with:
?we have partners building incredible things, too. And we partner with them on that. But this is different. This is us pursuing our mission to help people achieve their potential.
His statement takes us back to Microsoft's core mission, Satya Nadella's vision, a commitment to a family of devices that began under Steve Ballmer and a cultural shift toward customer obsession. Hardware is integral to Microsoft's mission, not a complementary peripheral strategy.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb