Is another Windows phone reboot really a good thing?

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
elite_x3_cshell.jpg

We recently broke the exclusive news that Microsoft is looking to reboot Windows on phones yet again, with CShell and Windows 10.
Microsoft's Windows 10 'CShell' adaptable UI in images and video
CShell would become a modular framework for all of Windows, so Microsoft can allow hardware creators to pick and choose aspects of Windows 10 for different devices, complete with adaptable UI elements for smaller screens and tablets. Much of Windows 10 Mobile is being injected into Windows 10 for PCs as Microsoft moves to further converge the ecosystems.
However, that concept comes with downsides.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I think what we're seeing here is what I've been thinking all along. Microsoft isn't looking at Mobile as a market. They're seeing mobile capabilities as a necessary part of Windows 10 as a whole. CShell is a giant leap in that direction. Allowing one "Windows 10" that will work on anything. Just as the rest of the Surface devices, a mobile device would just be another tool. To be used as your situation requires. And... It can replace your Smartphone if you want it to.

Balooney

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Is it really a reboot?
Silverlight was supposed to die with WP8.1 wasn't it?
Any WP10 apps will work.
This is what they wanted W10 to be.
The leaked 960 may have made it if the OS was ready, but it wasn't, so Lumia is dead.
I do think MS should release a new phone if the FCU includes cshell and not to leave it up to HP.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I've always believed MS can't expect to ignore the biggest part of the growing tech industry, mobile. MS doesn't need to "beat" the iphone or "destroy" Android. They just need to have a presence. How much market share can be debated but totally ignoring the biggest part of the tech industry by a "Tech Giant" like MS is insane.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

metllicamilitia

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I stated in another thread, I believe one of the biggest issues is the UI design. Even if all they do is redesign the UI to be more in line with what people expect, it would go a long way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss