Another big name is about to drop support for its Windows app: The Wall Street Journal.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...
    06-21-2017 03:00 PM
    Did anybody use or care for it? Not to sound like a trollollo, but you know?
    06-24-2017 02:23 PM
    Did anybody use or care for it? Not to sound like a trollollo, but you know?
    I'm sure someone did, especially enterprise people. You have to admit, its not a good thing.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-24-2017 03:14 PM
    I have the app on my windows 10 ultrabook but never use it. When the notification or whatever I saw appeared I installed the app to see what it looked like and then never used it after that.

My mobile device is a BlackBerry Passport. The WSJ abandoned it's BB10 app a long time ago. But even when it was supported I still didn't use it much.

The Journal's website has always been good on multiple platforms so far as I know. It always has been fine on the BlackBerry devices I used. In my case, I use the heck out of email alerts and newsletters. From the email messages I use links to articles in a Web browser.

I think apps have their place. However, I'm not the type who wants an app for every little thing, and the WSJ app seemed like it was a case of "we must have an app" when one wasn't really necessary. That's my opinion anyway. I couldn't care less about it.
    06-25-2017 03:12 PM
    I'm sure someone did, especially enterprise people. You have to admit, its not a good thing.

Definitely sucks. The amount of applications that have been dropped in 2017 is concerning, while Microsoft is just there smiling.
    06-26-2017 06:01 PM
    Definitely sucks. The amount of applications that have been dropped in 2017 is concerning, while Microsoft is just there smiling.
    Absolutely. Individuals saying they don't use the app really just ignores the greater issue. Evernote dropped support today. While I don't use it, I know it's not good. It's a shame.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    06-26-2017 06:05 PM
    If its a Silverlight app, rather than a full UWP, those are all going anyway.
    06-26-2017 07:51 PM
    If its a Silverlight app, rather than a full UWP, those are all going anyway.
    It had recently upgraded to UWP, from what I have read.

06-26-2017 08:04 PM
    It had recently upgraded to UWP, from what I have read.

Then it seems a little weird pulling their app from the store, if the story is true.

On the other hand, its easier to just have a web page, than support dozens of platforms with dedicated apps. There was a trend of creating an app for everything, and I think probably a lot of businesses have just realized that isn't worth the expense.
    06-26-2017 08:34 PM
    I mean the support for WSJ, for example, is terrible on every mobile platform. They may as well not bother.
    06-26-2017 08:36 PM
    The native News app is really very good: you can configure it to fetch articles from numerous sources. An added bonus is that it's much more efficient, in terms of data usage, than most dedicated apps. It's the only news reader I have installed and it consistently performs like a champ
    06-26-2017 09:51 PM