10-03-2017 02:50 PM
73 123
tools
    Upon another refresh....it certainly does. I'm happy now. I know you all were very focused on whether or not I was happy. ;-)
    David Lundblad and iSingBass like this.
    09-19-2017 12:36 PM
    I absolutely dislike this new design.

This new homepage is overwhelming and cluttered. I'm not a person that get's overloaded with information easily, but... I'm finding it a task to navigate around.

Also for the past week or so, the page has taken a lot longer to load. It's now taking >4 seconds to load the homepage. And i'm running on a 6-core Xenon processor with >50GB of ram, so....
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-19-2017 12:53 PM
    I didn't like the new iMore site. I thought I would get used to it, but I still haven't. It's way too hard to find what is new so I eventually stopped visiting the page. Now that Windows Central has adopted the same format I will likely stop visiting this page as well. I much prefer the chronological format of the old site. You can pop in. Start scrolling from the top and read all the new stuff. Now you have to pick through pages of stale information to try to find anything new.
    09-19-2017 12:55 PM
    50% less content and 70% more adds, JUST WANT I ALWAYS WANTED!!!

Yeah your new homepage is now more add than actual content.

PATHETIC

See my attached image which is an actual snippet of the webpage.
    Less than 40% of what I see is content the rest is comprised of adds and whitespace.

I know first hand, as a web developer, this is a terrible design.

capture.jpg
    n7slc, steve_w_7 and Tiny Funk like this.
    09-19-2017 01:02 PM
    Is it just me or are all of the images stretched improperly?
    Tiny Funk likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:15 PM
    Pull your Windows app. It is a total POS. It's obvious no one give a crap about it.
    09-19-2017 01:20 PM
    What a mess. Can I just have a straight list of news please?

Edit: found it! And changed my bookmark to windowscentral.com/blog :)
    Thank you, I have multiple interests Xbox, Phone, Windows, Surface etc. I was losing the will to live with the new page so now using the /blog.
    09-19-2017 01:22 PM
    Same experience for me in IE 11. The display shows the menu, but it behaves as though it's not there. It responds as though you're hovering/clicking on the content behind it (the main page).
    I've been having the same issues with Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 for several months (long before this layout change). The attached picture shows this webpage with the "hamburger menu" opened. I can't click on any of the links, but where I placed my mouse will allow me to click on iSingBass's avatar behind this menu.

By the way, this menu works fine in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge on Windows 10, but I don't have the rights to install third-party browsers on this Windows 7 machine.wincentral.png
    iSingBass likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:25 PM
    Seriously? Only 3 articles on the first sight of the page? I know that too much information is not good, but nearly no information is ... worse.
    09-19-2017 01:32 PM
    Not impressed with it so far. Scrolling/reading is clunky. Big ads are annoying. There's lots of wasted white space as well. It would appear, based on the "welcome" pic, the new look is 'designed' by a bunch of dudes. She's cute, tho'.

If this layout stays I'll be visiting WC less frequently.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:38 PM
    Its a complete mess on IE11, check it;
    iSingBass and steve_w_7 like this.
    09-19-2017 01:48 PM
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of the new look. I much prefer to view all your content sequentially, newest at the top. Navigating your new page is not user friendly, IMHO.
    The more familiar form at windowscentral.com/blog does seem to relieve the edge a bit.
    09-19-2017 02:11 PM
    As a notebook user I'm finding the new layout much more pleasing.
    Less scrolling and searching for information is a win for me.
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:22 PM
    I personally find the new design horrible. It's not easy to quickly scan what articles are new. Takes too much scrolling. Luckily there's windowscentral.com/blog to set my new bookmark to
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:31 PM
    Looks and feels very chaotic. Like others have said, it takes longer to peruse articles titles. I guess it will raise the amount of time on the site for those who have the time to troll through the articles.

It's easier to browse using the Windows Mobile app but the app's community functions have been broken for months so any interactions have to be made using other platforms.

So tired...
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:36 PM
    come on people...
    You just have to go to "Most Recent" and/or set it to your default to get the old all-in-one version of the feed.
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-19-2017 03:36 PM
    There seems to be more work on windowscentral than W10M
    09-19-2017 05:23 PM
    I haven't looked at the mobile version yet, but the new homepage looks nice. I really like what you did with it. However, considering how often I visit WC (like, I do a lot!), I'd rather not see old stories again. So Most Recent hub it is for me!
    09-19-2017 05:31 PM
    Its a complete mess on IE11, check it;
    To be fair, no one should be using IE11 for anything.
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-19-2017 05:35 PM
    I came to the sight and was like, "WTF?" Ads, ads and more ads. I get that you need advertising revenue, but holy effin' crap it's all over the place. I greatly dislike the resource hogs on either side of the main content window. Do you really need huge ads in those? The page shifts around while they're loading. Unless something drastic changes (in a good way), I'll be seeking my Microsoft news elsewhere.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    09-19-2017 05:54 PM
    Change is good!
    I like it!
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-19-2017 07:01 PM
    far too cluttered for me, shame as I liked this site and will no look elsewhere.
    09-19-2017 08:18 PM
    1) You made it worse
    Article pictures used to be more prominent and I liked it that way. After all, it's so much easier to tell if you could be interested in an article or not, all with a simple glance.
    With this you turned your homepage more into a wall of text which I don't really enjoy reading through...
    I mean, when I browse through the most recent articles basically half of the page is white space!
    Almost the entire right side to be precise. Even worse if you plan on slapping ads there in the future. Hello?

2) Whoever came up with it, replacing the default "most recent" layout of your page with something else is plain stupid. Stupid being a severe understatement here.

3) Your site doesn't render properly on Opera. Ads load, half the comments don't.

4) Next time you're itching to make some changes, how about asking the actual readers what they might want to see first? All your effort seems like a waste of breath to me.
    09-19-2017 11:54 PM
    Same old **** on here:
    Amplify whats wrong instead of whats right...
    09-20-2017 01:21 AM
    From a person who's been hanging around here quite a bit over the years I have to say I'm not a fan of the new look on the home page or the forums. I'm not sure what it is 100% but I just don't like the athletics of it. I wish I had better feedback to give but it's just not working for me. It's missing something... maybe because it's so plain? Bland? Don't know.

You also have two Most Recent sections on the home page now which is a tad confusing.
    09-20-2017 01:56 AM
73 123