Your feedback (and bug reports) on Windows Central's new homepage

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't looked at the mobile version yet, but the new homepage looks nice. I really like what you did with it. However, considering how often I visit WC (like, I do a lot!), I'd rather not see old stories again. So Most Recent hub it is for me!

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I came to the sight and was like, "WTF?" Ads, ads and more ads. I get that you need advertising revenue, but holy effin' crap it's all over the place. I greatly dislike the resource hogs on either side of the main content window. Do you really need huge ads in those? The page shifts around while they're loading. Unless something drastic changes (in a good way), I'll be seeking my Microsoft news elsewhere.

Araragi

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
1) You made it worse
Article pictures used to be more prominent and I liked it that way. After all, it's so much easier to tell if you could be interested in an article or not, all with a simple glance.
With this you turned your homepage more into a wall of text which I don't really enjoy reading through...
I mean, when I browse through the most recent articles basically half of the page is white space!
Almost the entire right side to be precise. Even worse if you plan on slapping ads there in the future. Hello?

2) Whoever came up with it, replacing the default "most recent" layout of your page with something else is plain stupid. Stupid being a severe understatement here.

3) Your site doesn't render properly on Opera. Ads load, half the comments don't.

4) Next time you're itching to make some changes, how about asking the actual readers what they might want to see first? All your effort seems like a waste of breath to me.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
From a person who's been hanging around here quite a bit over the years I have to say I'm not a fan of the new look on the home page or the forums. I'm not sure what it is 100% but I just don't like the athletics of it. I wish I had better feedback to give but it's just not working for me. It's missing something... maybe because it's so plain? Bland? Don't know.

You also have two Most Recent sections on the home page now which is a tad confusing.

AshrafT

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I still can't click on the top left hamburger button to get a list of the other sites like android central... it just doesn't display.

This usually happens when you have an Ad Blocker enabled. The hamburger menu and some other show more buttons at the bottom become unresponsive to any click.

ChavasRegal

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The new look will take a bit of getting used to, on the good side loading the homepage now doesn't eat up all available memory if using Edge, shame to forums are still buggy and suffer from "webpage not responding" errors when opening a page.

dreamglimmer

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
it took me 5 long minutes, trying to find unread posts from each group... until i finally got to the feed.
during them i was tempting to close site for weeks, instead having fun to read it daily...
i don't usually log in when i read news, so logged in checkbox wont change anything for me - make it a hardcoded url for feed only view, and it'll do.
as i wasn't logged, it took me another minute to find where to log in, as it's hidden in menus now, instead of auto suggesting once you start typing response to forum...

this is not good change as it is!

MikeB0514

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
The header is way too big. That, coupled with the oversized "best of" section, takes up the entire screen, where I then have to scroll to get to the first set of headlines. I suggest reducing the size of both, or making them collapsible (with persistence!)

Withheld

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
At 1920x1080 it looks like it's parked advertising domain. However, after several refreshes, then reducing the browser window to about 600px wide, it looks wonderful. It looks great on my phone as well.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at the new site on a Surface 2 and you will notice that the graphics are not displaying properly across the entire front page.

Paul Josephson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is responsive.

However, it requires way too much work to get anywhere. The whole categorized icon banner takes up way too much space. The first section "Most Recent" should be labeled "What's New" and have quite a bit more items. You have two "Most Recent" areas (very top and bottom of page). Right now because the way you designed these categorized boxes you are only showing 1 column leaves a large 2/3 to the right all barren (at least on my desktop there is a large amount of white space) See: Most Recent (top), Laptops, Apps We Love for all the wasted white space. As it stands I agree with everybody we really I have to scroll down, down, down, down, trying to find anything. The other layout was easy to see what was new in broad section of categories, not so much here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa