10-09-2017 06:45 AM
75 123
tools
    If I could get that man fired today, I'd do it.
    You'd have to own the majority of the stock. Like it or not, when Nadella took over the stock price was around $26 a share. Today it's nearly triple that. That's what shareholders care about. They couldn't care less about what we want. And, sadly, those of us that love Windows phones were always a minority.
    vEEP pEEP and ZantReve like this.
    10-05-2017 04:12 PM
    Ok time for my own two cents. I have been saying for years now that MS has been doing too little. Wp took off when Nokia entered the game and they (Nokia) really pushed the Os to it's limit due to MS's inability to put enough work into the OS. WP was fun to use because Nokia made it a fun to us, without them many would have left WP a long time ago. The WP market started growing and then suddenly Nokia was fed up and wanted to sell. MS offered to buy and during this period which was over a year there was no dam Flagship! Did they think this wouldn't have any consequences? Even worse they discontinued the lumia 1520 in that period of time. Even when they finally released a flagship, it was an excuse of a flagship riddled with many many bugs and then one started notices how little MS was even putting into developing the OS. In-short they just seemed to stop altogether. Did they think they'll get returns by not being serious? MS killed WP not the developers, not google, not anyone is to blame for MS themselves. They had a market that was growing steadily but decided to just destroy it cos why not?
    VetDuarte likes this.
    10-05-2017 04:45 PM
    We already knew that?

He was wrong. Windows Phone 8.0 was different. Unique. All this differentiation went away with 8.1. What a horrible strategy, by an uninspired, narrow minded executive. Joe Belfiore. The guy should have been fired. Banished from Microsoft and with restriction order not to even go near the premises. Yet there he is, leading one more crucial customer facing service, Cortana.

It is not a coincidence even Cortana, an aspiring and widely respected DPA now trails behind, and even had to partner with Alexa so it doesn't disappear forever. I think maybe Microsoft assigns to him all the projects they need killed. He is perfect for that.
    theefman likes this.
    10-05-2017 06:18 PM
    Nokia was purchased before Nadella was CEO. Yes his job is to make money for his shareholders. But did they really put an effort in to WP? Nokia had HUGE brand recognition in Asia - that should have been their primary focus. Sure create a flagship phone, but concentrate on the low end stuff. Like the Nokia 520, and get a base in the world that was not saturated. And let's face it MS is TERRIBLE at marketing to consumers.

But I understand - buying a manufacturing unit - tough.

Maybe they should have bought Blackberry.

Nadella's vision is cloud and B2B - and in that aspect - he is doing well.

If MS never bought Nokia....I'd be on Android right now...

Fun ride.

Part of me thinks they still have a chance with ARM and W10....in some new incarnation....#hope
    10-05-2017 08:59 PM

Part of me thinks they still have a chance with ARM and W10....in some new incarnation....#hope
    Texto del enlace

A chance. The idea and concept of Windows Core is pretty interesting but so was universal Windows apps and we say were that went. Why would app makers show up when MS is targeting business? They wouldn't.

Twitter: @PhotographyET
    10-05-2017 09:06 PM
    I see Nadella killing Windows Mobile, in whatever for it takes, slowly over time, but he will kill it like any other CEO does, by slowly strangling it financially.

He is nothing but a quarterly stock price chaser for the stock holders. He has no long range vision like Gates, Ballmer, or even dare I mention his name, Steve Jobs had for Apple. Apple has Tim Cook slowly killing Apple with lack of real innovation, Microsoft has Nutella.

Now there are SOME people at MS with real vision for the long run, but they either leave in frustration, or are sidelined on projects that never leave the build shop i.e. the "Surface Mini" from around 2015.

Imagine if that had actually been ready then, running on ARM hardware, with C-Shell. It would have smoked both Apple and Android devices, but sadly, in typical MS fashion, too long developing means behind the curve in real world marketing.

Maybe things will change, but I am not hopeful at this point. All three of the major mobile OS's have plateaued. Nothing new or revolutionary has hit in what, nearly 6 or 7 years?

That is ages in tech time, yet people still keep buying outdated software that gets a new "skin" (big deal :-( )every year or so, but doesn't really improve all that much. Rather disappointing.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 10-05-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    Arko109 likes this.
    10-05-2017 09:34 PM
    If he already harbor this thought at the beginning, it's no surprise 🎊 where Windows Mobile is now. On the other hand ✋, it would be totally different if he thought the other way. It's all in the mind.
    10-06-2017 03:01 AM
    Totally agree. Nokia already proved it couldn't make good phones. Every one was underpowered. Eg. Flagship 925 with a 400 series processor. What a joke. They were on the way down. It wasn't so much of a purchase but an example of charity going bad. Then MS had to sack them all because they performed as poorly as they did in Nokia. As expected. Taking the loss was the best option by far.
    10-06-2017 03:52 AM
    I'd love to see Mac OS on more affordable hardware but I'm not overspending for the privilege of having a glowing apple on my lid.
    Lol, the apple is not even glowing on latest MacBooks anymore
    Last edited by Arko109; 10-06-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    10-06-2017 05:29 AM
    Yep, this i pretty grim. I have been hoping for a turn but this is it. If Ms continue as they do they will be totally out of the consumer side. And that will spill over to enterprise. I dont really see anything they do will turn this around. The killing of groove wasnt to horrible but not a good move. And to completly remove digital music from the store is a disaster.

The xbox is dumbed down to a simple gaming console with some apps on it. It's not enough. The mixed reality wont get any traction. The home speaker thing is already dead.

They are behind in every thin they do and when they do anything is not enough. They dont do any commercial for their stuff, they dont even tell you whats new in their own products. You have to be reading forums and sites like this one to know whats new in windows for example.

I dont really see anything good coming the MS way. I was hoping for the new Windows on ARM but since the apps are going away the OS is DOA already.
    10-06-2017 01:26 PM
    I would vote no too.
    No one have time for another niche 3rd mobile OS, too late already. Should've just made WinPhone runs whatever win pc runs in the 1st place like the win10.arm.
    * win10.arm will also be ignored you say? Well... unless you think devs, freshman and startup will skip win10 (win10pc, win10s and win10.arm) all together. Windows pc still has its market no?

Let win10.arm run XPA titles, I'm happy to drop my Nexus for such a device.
    Last edited by Hirox K; 10-06-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    10-06-2017 05:05 PM
    > You had something that was really differentiated. There was nothing
    > on the market like WP8/WP8.1.
    But with very less devs support right?
    It's like Egg&Chicken loop. No user no dev, no dev no user.
    iOS & Android was / is too powerful already.

Windows PC on the other hand, still has its market, that is why MS wants to place a full win10 on people's palm. Unify the store, unify the ecosystem.
    10-06-2017 05:26 PM
    Surprising lack of vision from Nadella. His attitude will keep the company going well over the next few years, but like IBM they will soon turn into a well running dead husk of a company that will be slowly over taken by younger upstarts with more innovative ideas. Keep in mind that the only reason Apple is where it is today is because they took risks. They entered a market that was already well established and took a risks on an entirely new approach. The reason there are still windows phone fans is because the risks that Microsoft took under Balmer were well received. The reason most of those fans left is because Microsoft abandoned them. After Gates, Balmer, and now Nadella we're just seeing a steady dwindling of innovative vision at the company.
    10-06-2017 09:16 PM
    Nadella was right. There is no reason for Microsoft to be a distant 3rd in any market. They were absurdly late to the mobile party, and he knows it.

I realize it's popular here to blame the current leadership, but the real problems began with Gates and Ballmer. Ballmer actually laughed at the iPhone, and (in)famously claimed that no one would buy it. He was spectacularly wrong.

By the time he woke up, it was already way too late. Now in 2017, it is completely hopeless.

Microsoft missed the mobile train. Period. They were too busy packing mice, keyboards, CD drives and CRT monitors. By the time they were done packing up their junk, the train left the station. So now Android is where Windows could have been.

Microsoft is in serious danger of being a victim of their own past success. See Polaroid for the classic example. Failing to see the changes in a market you once dominated.
    ZantReve likes this.
    10-06-2017 10:28 PM
    Sure the pc has a market. As a laptop and stationary computer where you will run office, visual studio, Cubase etc you know, actually work. But why would you buy a tablet with no apps on it?
    10-06-2017 11:32 PM
    Two things for me:. 1) WP was not profitable and neither was Nokia before MS bought it. Satya was correct from a business standpoint. Where were the OEMs? Why did Nokia have all the market share? Huge issues! 2) I love WP, but the UI was and is too different for many. It struggled to be mainstream. In fact I fully expect MS to move their iconography away from tiles back to icons. People want what they are familiar with. I don't mean us enthusiast, rather the average consumer.

So I basically agree with Satya on this, while still hoping for a new mobile device from MS.
    ZantReve likes this.
    10-07-2017 12:31 PM
    Two things for me:. 1) WP was not profitable and neither was Nokia before MS bought it. Satya was correct from a business standpoint. Where were the OEMs? Why did Nokia have all the market share? Huge issues! 2) I love WP, but the UI was and is too different for many. It struggled to be mainstream. In fact I fully expect MS to move their iconography away from tiles back to icons. People want what they are familiar with. I don't mean us enthusiast, rather the average consumer.

So I basically agree with Satya on this, while still hoping for a new mobile device from MS.
    Where were the OEMs? Windows Phone 7 hit the market without a single Nokia. Samsung, LG, Dell, Fujitsu and HTC all had WP7 phones and the Samsung Flash was the top seller. It was the Nokia fanboys who ruined it by flooding every tech site and deifying the Finnish king.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    editguy likes this.
    10-07-2017 01:16 PM
    With it came the 920, 1020 ... two amazing phones that outshone other phones on any platform. Then the cheap 620, 520 drew in the numbers, globally.
    I think MSFT has always been too US-centric in its strategy and decision making.

... !
    theefman likes this.
    10-08-2017 03:39 AM
    With it came the 920, 1020 ... two amazing phones that outshone other phones on any platform. Then the cheap 620, 520 drew in the numbers, globally.
    I think MSFT has always been too US-centric in its strategy and decision making.

... !
    Camera-wise yes.

10-08-2017 11:26 AM
    Nokia fell from first to third because of MS !!
    They signed a deal and came out in public saying that they would move from Symbian to Windows. 18 months later windows was still not available.
    Many people heard the announcement and decided not to purchase the latest Symbian phone, because windows was coming - even though the flagship Symbian Nokia was still a better proposition than the fledgling apple.

This meant that apple got a stronghold, with android the only real market competitor competitor
    10-08-2017 05:59 PM
    Nokia fell from first to third because of MS !!
    They signed a deal and came out in public saying that they would move from Symbian to Windows. 18 months later windows was still not available.
    Many people heard the announcement and decided not to purchase the latest Symbian phone, because windows was coming - even though the flagship Symbian Nokia was still a better proposition than the fledgling apple.

This meant that apple got a stronghold, with android the only real market competitor competitor
    Nokia was a dumpster fire well before MS. Elop ran that company into the ground.
    Guytronic and editguy like this.
    10-08-2017 07:43 PM
    We waited 108 years....thanks to Florida
    10-08-2017 08:58 PM
    You hit the nail on the head...**** pour advertisement
    10-08-2017 09:03 PM
    Nokia was a dumpster fire well before MS. Elop ran that company into the ground.
    True but, even without Elop, Nokia was slow to develop competitive smartphones. They were king of the hill and didn't see that they were being advanced on from all sides. MS purchased a corpse. And for all of those that said that Nokia should have gone with Android, there's no evidence that would have saved them any more than Windows. By the time Nokia came to Windows, they had waited too long trying to turn Symbian into a touch OS.
    10-09-2017 12:58 AM
    True but, even without Elop, Nokia was slow to develop competitive smartphones. They were king of the hill and didn't see that they were being advanced on from all sides. MS purchased a corpse. And for all of those that said that Nokia should have gone with Android, there's no evidence that would have saved them any more than Windows. By the time Nokia came to Windows, they had waited too long trying to turn Symbian into a touch OS.
    Years from now they'll be saying the same about Nadella and Windows Mobile.

10-09-2017 06:45 AM
75 123