Satya Nadella confirms he wasn't in favor of Microsoft's Nokia acquisition

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
nadealla-ignite-2017-2.jpg

While it might not come as a surprise to some Windows phone fans, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has confirmed that he was originally against Microsoft's decision to acquire Nokia's handset business in 2013.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nadella says “I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones”

There’s a reason President Obama made sure none of the Big 3 automakers failed. A duopoly benefits none except the fat cats at the helm.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nadella says “I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones”

If he already harbor this thought at the beginning, it's no surprise 🎊 where Windows Mobile is now. On the other hand ✋, it would be totally different if he thought the other way. It's all in the mind.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the link, but Windows Central posted it a bit after you made this thread: https://www.windowscentral.com/satya-nadella-confirms-he-wasnt-favor-microsofts-nokia-acquisition

As for my thoughts, I don't know. As a fan, I find this to be saddening but at the same time, it is telling that Bill Gates wasn't comfy with it either. It's crazy to me that the last phones that marked the end of the deal are now the only supported phones.

My feelings are mixed about this confirmation. There's still no OS like Windows Phone/Mobile.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Dear Satya, Apple and Google are eating your desktop business from the inside out. Enjoy the show.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm wondering if Mr. Nadella might be stepping down sometime in 2018.

I will never understand the logic of a "tech giant" like MS ignoring the largest customer base, mobile users. Nadella helping Microsoft in making money but i fear it's short term. I hope the share holders see that.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There’s a reason President Obama made sure none of the Big 3 automakers failed. A duopoly benefits none except the fat cats at the helm.

What about desktop? That's barely even a duopoly; it's much closer to a monopoly.

I will never understand the logic of a "tech giant" like MS ignoring the largest customer base, mobile users.

Microsoft tried. The customers didn't like what they had to offer. The only devices they could move were the cheap ones.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What about desktop? That's barely even a duopoly; it's much closer to a monopoly.

Microsoft tried. The customers didn't like what they had to offer. The only devices they could move were the cheap ones.

You answered your own question. Customers didn't like the other desktop offerings for whatever reason. I used to be a Mac-only guy until Windows 7 showed me that MS was getting with the program. As reviled as it was, I actually enjoyed the heck out of Windows 8.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Customers didn't like the other desktop offerings for whatever reason.

Customers didn't like the other mobile offerings. Does that justify the monopoly on desktop, but yet it's inexcusable in mobile? I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Customers didn't like the other mobile offerings. Does that justify the monopoly on desktop, but yet it's inexcusable in mobile? I'm sorry, but I don't understand your reasoning.
I never called it inexcusable. It's to no one's benefit that there be limited choice, desktop included. Linux is far from usable to other than enthusiasts, let's keep that straight. The majority of average users want plug-and-play, not plug-and-sudo. Macs have gotten more expensive than the average consumer will stomach and most of the time I see people using their Macbooks and they're booted on Windows!!

There's a laundry list of mobile OSes that have come and gone. For whatever reasons, people didn't support them (BlackBerry OS10) or their OS was superior but the hardware blew chunks (webOS).

I'd love to see Mac OS on more affordable hardware but I'm not overspending for the privilege of having a glowing apple on my lid. That's crazy. Androids are breeching the once-absurd iPhone price points so there's a void for high-end phones that needs to be filled. Who's going to do it?

If anything's inexcusable it's the public's apathy, not anything I've said.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
@fatclue_98 OK your explanation makes sense. The reasons Microsoft has a monopoly in desktop are the same reasons there is a duopoly in mobile. Anyone who wants to run with the big dogs must provide something desired by the consumers. You like Windows mobile, I like(d) Windows mobile, but for whatever reason, the average consumer didn't. Therefore, the market shakes out with iOS and Android.

That said, my anecdotal observations caused me to conclude that the only people worried about the OS monopolies are the fans of whichever OS is not a participant. The WM fans are the ones complaining about the mobile situation. Likewise, Linux and Mac OS fans are not happy with the desktop situation. We all wish our preferences were on top, and we'll embrace any view that fits our agenda. Yet we're all affected exactly the same.

Androids are breeching the once-absurd iPhone price points so there's a void for high-end phones that needs to be filled. Who's going to do it?

How about mid range Androids such as the OnePlus line? There is a plethora of those.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
@fatclue_98

That said, my anecdotal observations caused me to conclude that the only people worried about the OS monopolies are the fans of whichever OS is not a participant. The WM fans are the ones complaining about the mobile situation. Likewise, Linux and Mac OS fans are not happy with the desktop situation. We all wish our preferences were on top, and we'll embrace any view that fits our agenda. Yet we're all affected exactly the same.

I can only speak for myself but I couldn't careless if my favorite mobile OS is #1 or #2 . I just want it to be available for me to purchase when the time comes to get a new phone. I know I don't drink the #1 selling beer and I don't lose any sleep over it, just as long as the corner store has some when I stop by.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
@fatclue_98 OK your explanation makes sense. The reasons Microsoft has a monopoly in desktop are the same reasons there is a duopoly in mobile. Anyone who wants to run with the big dogs must provide something desired by the consumers. You like Windows mobile, I like(d) Windows mobile, but for whatever reason, the average consumer didn't. Therefore, the market shakes out with iOS and Android.

How about mid range Androids such as the OnePlus line? There is a plethora of those.

OnePlus probably wasn’t the best example considering that they’ve dropped support for all but the 5, but I get your point. The problem with mid range phones is that they usually lack the sought-after features consumers want. With carriers offering monthly installments folks aren’t going for these as much as they should. Even the better mid rangers like the Keyone are going for $550 which is a princely sum but are relatively “cheap” when compared to iPhones and Galaxys.

Yes, I like Windows but I’m not in favor of choice because my preferred OS is doing poorly. I naturally root for the underdog because they’re hungry. I’m using the iPhone 8 right now because Android has lost its mojo. They’re complacent and it’s starting to show. I’ll give up some functionality for a more cohesive experience and if (when?) MS ties its shoelaces I’ll be right back. There’s no question in my mind that W10M is the superior OS for my needs but I have to stay practical and go with what’s going to butter my bread.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
OnePlus probably wasn’t the best example considering that they’ve dropped support for all but the 5, but I get your point. The problem with mid range phones is that they usually lack the sought-after features consumers want. With carriers offering monthly installments folks aren’t going for these as much as they should. Even the better mid rangers like the Keyone are going for $550 which is a princely sum but are relatively “cheap” when compared to iPhones and Galaxys.

Yes, I like Windows but I’m not in favor of choice because my preferred OS is doing poorly. I naturally root for the underdog because they’re hungry. I’m using the iPhone 8 right now because Android has lost its mojo. They’re complacent and it’s starting to show. I’ll give up some functionality for a more cohesive experience and if (when?) MS ties its shoelaces I’ll be right back. There’s no question in my mind that W10M is the superior OS for my needs but I have to stay practical and go with what’s going to butter my bread.

Gotcha! Excellent explanation.

My opinion is that until services on mobile become platform agnostic, we won't see a strong 3rd competitor. We'll need something like PWA.

Here's my reasoning: right now, a company can develop two apps and get virtually the entire market. If a 3rd platform such as WM became large enough that it could not be ignored, the company would then need to write three apps for the same coverage.

We actually saw it spin out this way with Windows phone/mobile. Developers tended to ignore it until they couldn't anymore, and even then it was treated like the proverbial red-headed stepchild. It was the last to get support, and the first to be dropped.

Yes, I like Windows but I’m not in favor of choice because my preferred OS is doing poorly. I naturally root for the underdog because they’re hungry.

Just a note about this: I did say that my data was anecdotal. I don't see anyone on this forum complaining about the monopoly on desktop, and I don't see members of iMore or AndroidCentral complaining about the duopoly in mobile. Why not?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just a note about this: I did say that my data was anecdotal. I don't see anyone on this forum complaining about the monopoly on desktop, and I don't see members of iMore or AndroidCentral complaining about the duopoly in mobile. Why not?
I'm a webOS lover, what do I know about popular platforms? :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers