Satya Nadella confirms he wasn't in favor of Microsoft's Nokia acquisition

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I would vote no too.
No one have time for another niche 3rd mobile OS, too late already. Should've just made WinPhone runs whatever win pc runs in the 1st place like the win10.arm.
* win10.arm will also be ignored you say? Well... unless you think devs, freshman and startup will skip win10 (win10pc, win10s and win10.arm) all together. Windows pc still has its market no?

Let win10.arm run XPA titles, I'm happy to drop my Nexus for such a device.

Last edited:

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: Nadella says “I did not get why the world needed the third ecosystem in phones”

> You had something that was really differentiated. There was nothing
> on the market like WP8/WP8.1.
But with very less devs support right?
It's like Egg&Chicken loop. No user no dev, no dev no user.
iOS & Android was / is too powerful already.

Windows PC on the other hand, still has its market, that is why MS wants to place a full win10 on people's palm. Unify the store, unify the ecosystem.

oolong2

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Surprising lack of vision from Nadella. His attitude will keep the company going well over the next few years, but like IBM they will soon turn into a well running dead husk of a company that will be slowly over taken by younger upstarts with more innovative ideas. Keep in mind that the only reason Apple is where it is today is because they took risks. They entered a market that was already well established and took a risks on an entirely new approach. The reason there are still windows phone fans is because the risks that Microsoft took under Balmer were well received. The reason most of those fans left is because Microsoft abandoned them. After Gates, Balmer, and now Nadella we're just seeing a steady dwindling of innovative vision at the company.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Nadella was right. There is no reason for Microsoft to be a distant 3rd in any market. They were absurdly late to the mobile party, and he knows it.

I realize it's popular here to blame the current leadership, but the real problems began with Gates and Ballmer. Ballmer actually laughed at the iPhone, and (in)famously claimed that no one would buy it. He was spectacularly wrong.

By the time he woke up, it was already way too late. Now in 2017, it is completely hopeless.

Microsoft missed the mobile train. Period. They were too busy packing mice, keyboards, CD drives and CRT monitors. By the time they were done packing up their junk, the train left the station. So now Android is where Windows could have been.

Microsoft is in serious danger of being a victim of their own past success. See Polaroid for the classic example. Failing to see the changes in a market you once dominated.

Niklas Larsson

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Sure the pc has a market. As a laptop and stationary computer where you will run office, visual studio, Cubase etc you know, actually work. But why would you buy a tablet with no apps on it?

Monte Constable1

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Two things for me:. 1) WP was not profitable and neither was Nokia before MS bought it. Satya was correct from a business standpoint. Where were the OEMs? Why did Nokia have all the market share? Huge issues! 2) I love WP, but the UI was and is too different for many. It struggled to be mainstream. In fact I fully expect MS to move their iconography away from tiles back to icons. People want what they are familiar with. I don't mean us enthusiast, rather the average consumer.

So I basically agree with Satya on this, while still hoping for a new mobile device from MS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Two things for me:. 1) WP was not profitable and neither was Nokia before MS bought it. Satya was correct from a business standpoint. Where were the OEMs? Why did Nokia have all the market share? Huge issues! 2) I love WP, but the UI was and is too different for many. It struggled to be mainstream. In fact I fully expect MS to move their iconography away from tiles back to icons. People want what they are familiar with. I don't mean us enthusiast, rather the average consumer.

So I basically agree with Satya on this, while still hoping for a new mobile device from MS.
Where were the OEMs? Windows Phone 7 hit the market without a single Nokia. Samsung, LG, Dell, Fujitsu and HTC all had WP7 phones and the Samsung Flash was the top seller. It was the Nokia fanboys who ruined it by flooding every tech site and deifying the Finnish king.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
With it came the 920, 1020 ... two amazing phones that outshone other phones on any platform. Then the cheap 620, 520 drew in the numbers, globally.
I think MSFT has always been too US-centric in its strategy and decision making.

... !

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
With it came the 920, 1020 ... two amazing phones that outshone other phones on any platform. Then the cheap 620, 520 drew in the numbers, globally.
I think MSFT has always been too US-centric in its strategy and decision making.

... !
Camera-wise yes.

Greg Bruce2

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Nokia fell from first to third because of MS !!
They signed a deal and came out in public saying that they would move from Symbian to Windows. 18 months later windows was still not available.
Many people heard the announcement and decided not to purchase the latest Symbian phone, because windows was coming - even though the flagship Symbian Nokia was still a better proposition than the fledgling apple.

This meant that apple got a stronghold, with android the only real market competitor competitor

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nokia fell from first to third because of MS !!
They signed a deal and came out in public saying that they would move from Symbian to Windows. 18 months later windows was still not available.
Many people heard the announcement and decided not to purchase the latest Symbian phone, because windows was coming - even though the flagship Symbian Nokia was still a better proposition than the fledgling apple.

This meant that apple got a stronghold, with android the only real market competitor competitor
Nokia was a dumpster fire well before MS. Elop ran that company into the ground.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Nokia was a dumpster fire well before MS. Elop ran that company into the ground.

True but, even without Elop, Nokia was slow to develop competitive smartphones. They were king of the hill and didn't see that they were being advanced on from all sides. MS purchased a corpse. And for all of those that said that Nokia should have gone with Android, there's no evidence that would have saved them any more than Windows. By the time Nokia came to Windows, they had waited too long trying to turn Symbian into a touch OS.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
True but, even without Elop, Nokia was slow to develop competitive smartphones. They were king of the hill and didn't see that they were being advanced on from all sides. MS purchased a corpse. And for all of those that said that Nokia should have gone with Android, there's no evidence that would have saved them any more than Windows. By the time Nokia came to Windows, they had waited too long trying to turn Symbian into a touch OS.
Years from now they'll be saying the same about Nadella and Windows Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos