On this week's episode of #AskDanWindows I'll talk about Cortana expansion, potential coil whine issues with the Surface Book 2, and when can we expect more on Windows 10 on ARM.
    Watch now!

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...
    11-24-2017 03:30 PM
    I'm very curious about "coil whine." I have a fairly new Surface Book 2 15" and started hearing a sound that seemed to meet that definition. It actually sounded a little like a hard drive noise, although with a ssd that can't be it.

I've heard it rarely, maybe 3 times in 3 months, usually when the computer was busy (but usually downloading busy, not graphic card busy).

Last time I heard it, on a whim I unplugged the power supply and it went away. I also noticed I was using a lower power power supply (from a Surface Pro 3) and the noise went away also when I switched to the higher powered SB2 power supply.

The sound I heard would have been very annoying if it was present all the time, but doesn't really bother me as rarely and briefly as it occurs.

I was curious if perhaps what people are calling "coil whine" could be something else? I was wondering if in my case it's something more related to the power system in the computer since it was correlated with using a power supply that had a lower capacity than the one that comes with the SB2?
    05-02-2018 10:58 AM