Best Laptops for Seniors in 2018

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
asus-zenbook-pro-2.jpg

Choosing the right laptop for an older PC user can be a challenge, but here's how to get it right.
You might've grown up with computers and smartphones, so all this newfangled technology is easy to take for granted. But if you didn't — like, say, your parents or your grandparents. It's a lot to take in, so if you're doing computer shopping for a relative it's important to put in the extra thought to get it right. Here's what you should keep in mind, and some recommendations to get you started.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

lary77

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Laptops are a problem due to weight and mass, but going the other way, to tablets or 2-in-1 light weight laptops, might be the best option for seniors!

ray199

Aug 9, 2017
Visit site
At ages 70 and 72 my wife and I think to get senior cell phones ( simplified smartphones with big screen) but finally have started using iPads and find them easy to learn and generally easy to use. The internet home page print is a little small and I think the email presentation is a little cluttered but usable. Great as a reader as a kindle type presentation. Perhaps the spacing of items to touch and initiate are a little tight with larger fingers. We have gone to touch stylus use and find them helpful All in all I say go for it but perhaps consider a iPad 1or 2 to save a little on the investment. Hope that helps as a little arthritis seems to set in about this time of life and the ipad is much easier to hold and use rather than a laptop in a persons lap. I now not using my old Consumer Cellular phone and uses the iPad to make and receive calls too. I beleive another brand with the same screen size would work equally well.

Last edited:

goodjob11

Jul 17, 2018
Visit site
I think it depends on the skills and abilities of the person, not the exact age. Look carefully at every person. I have been working with a number of customers and relatives on computers for many years... this is just my thoughts... YMMV. I don't have an "answer", but some things to think about below:

Somewhere as you age it gets harder to "get" significant changes, including new technology. If a laptop or desktop is more familiar, then this may be better. If you have to change anyway (like XP to windows 7), then the tablet may be no more difficult than learning windows 7 quirks. Be careful, iPad is easier than most others I have looked at. Note that I have had great difficulty getting people (many much younger than 92!) to give up Outlook Express, which is not available with windows 7. And no, windows live is not a good match, it is significantly different. Users who could e-mail photos fine in OE can't get pictures to attach in Windows Live.
Some elderly have more motor control with their hands than others. A tablet or any senior friendly phone requires good (not perfect) control for gestures, etc. Generally more control than a keyboard. If motor control is good, then a tablet or a big screen phone for seniors are fine, if not it *may* be an issue. I have relatives that have issues with motor control, and the iPhone is somewhat harder to use because of that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium