Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
[h=2]Best overall[/h][h=3]Lumia 950 XL[/h]
lumia-950-xl-png-03.png

See at Amazon

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have somehow managed to buy Lumia 950 from Ebay. It's stock is limited and it is not available even on Amazon. Bottom line is that if you do not want to suffer with Android, and if you love Windows, this is the LAST CHANCE for you. In a couple of months, WP will be history.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
No surprise that the Lumia 950 XL is still viewed as the best overall in 2018. Removable battery, excellent camera, resolution, large screen and has spare parts available for it! Something which is non-existent for the Alcatel idol 4s and HP Elite X3!

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm still rocking my Lumia 950 it does everything I need it to do. But if MS ever does release this folding surface phone, I'm seriously going to consider getting it.

sniperboywc

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Probably not my favorite but I'm using a Windows 8.1 BLU (Bold Like Us) phone. I got it last year when my Lumia 640 died. It is not as good as my 640 was but it is an OK phone. I've had to switch my wife over to Android but I'm not quite ready yet. If the WP Facebook or Instagram apps stop working then I'll probably switch to Android too.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
No surprise that the Lumia 950 XL is still viewed as the best overall in 2018. Removable battery, excellent camera, resolution, large screen and has spare parts available for it! Something which is non-existent for the Alcatel idol 4s and HP Elite X3!

Agreed, and I would add that with my 200 Gb SSD I have no deleted a single photo or chat from more than 2 years! It's amazing how even the so called iX only has the same 3 Gb of Ram
in 2018 as a L950XL from over 2 years! And they call it Premium, what a Joke from the fruit! I also think that most people only use and need like 20 apps, so having millions means at least 99% are just bloat ware! So with my L950XL and it's still great camera why invest in anything that has not really innovated.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
The best windows phone of 2018 is the one you already have. With apps and services slowly shutting down, its best not to throw good money away on this. I found Windows 10 Mobile to a let down from 8.1. Android is just another small let down. I like to pretend that Android is just Windows 11.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The most used windows phone out of my collection is still the 950 XL...
Love the 930/929 and 1520, but the 950 XL does it all and has kept up to par all this time with my daily needs, tasks, and fun.

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
950 XL here, even though the front camera doesn't work (can I get the thing fixed?)

It still does everything I ask it to, without any major issues.

I will hold onto it until Andromeda is bug-free and relatively inexpensive.

spaceOpia1

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Long time Microsoft ecosystem dedicated fan here.
At least I was, until I had no real reason to blindly do so.
Weird to say maybe, but my favorite windows phone is now the Pixel 2 XL. It is way better than my old Lumia 950 XL, and does exactly the same things. I have the same Microsoft services, but better than they are on Windows 10 Mobile. There is absolutely nothing missing there in terms of functionality.
The only downside, really, is the start screen.
The live tiles have no match in iOs or Android.
But really, everything else feels better (not abandoned, anyways).

I kept hope for a Surface Phone until I could no loger effectively use the Lumia 950XL (reboots and freezes very often) then I said to myself that even if a Surface Phone gets out soon, it will be a V1. If we follow the Surface "trend", we will have to wait a few versions until MS gets the product right, that is if they don't throw it to garbage after one or two iterations.

I am not an Android core fan, mostly because of the vulnerability issues across the ecosystem. But the Pixel 2 is so much better that any Windows Phones I have had (L920,L925,HTC 8X, L1020, L950 and L950XL), it is even beyond comparison.
Sure the app gap is one major reason.
Another reason is the fact that the Pixel 2 is a brand new device.

There will always be new phones/devices every year.
Maybe one day Microsoft will nail it down in terms of wearable devices.
I will be the first to buy a prime quality MS device.
Until then, I will lean towards a better experience as a user.

Gone are the days where you had to stick to only one ecosystem.
The universality of service experience is greatly due to Microsoft, and I thank them for that.

Voilà!

Vivio vrvly

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
In 2018 surface phone would be best. There is also no need to limit price as its new kind of device and premium features are better than slightly smaller price compared to todays flagships.

I use 950XL, I bought it even from different country. Big shame I couldn't see it before as no store wanted to showcase it. Same as 808 got value even today, 950XL too, despite lack of apps. Having leather back is also wow.

I also like 520 that I bought sooner, as it also offered some functions no other phone at that price, and its mostly software what made it unique and valuable. I hope microsoft will offer such not just though 3rd parties. Even low end can be special if its not the same - example using 9 cheaper cameras in stead of 1 to produce better shots.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
My go to is the HP Elite X3, for a few good reasons: Mainly, the battery life. I'm a heavy user and it out performs everything, even my wife's iPhone X. Also, the screen size and crispness is unbelievably good. Those are the main reasons, but otherwise I LOVE my 950xl, 950 and Idol. The Idol is boring with it's glass back and the massive camera bump, and the camera isn't as good as the X3. The HP camera is actually excellent in good light, having a wider view than the 950xl, but low light or macro, nothing beats the 950's. I also use my 640xl, as long as I keep the internal. Memory at about 5.79GB it's good. The 640xl still has fantastic speakers, good screen, VERY good battery life and the processor is still fast. I love it. I recently just got the shiny white back (original) and love how it feels...so out of all these phones including a non WM (Moto 5S Plus - hardly used, although a solid phone) I use always 2 phones. I always carry another phone in my backpack. I can't be without a second phone unless I'm just walking the dog or going down the street to the shops. I still really love that the 950xl, 950, 640xl can be changed up with different colour backs and new batteries. Don't even get me started on how many covers and backs I have - original and OEM's. One thing that annoys me is that I can't find a simple clear cover for the X3 as they were discontinued by one of the only companies that made them. Also, lately I've really got into pop sockets (thought they were meh...before, but now...) as they are just useful, especially when you combine the car holder piece that the sockets slides into - sooooooo much better than other cat phone holders I've had!!!! Especially the X3 being so large. Basically, love all my WM phones, and have asked my mother in law to return the 650 I gave her when she's done with it so I can keep it. She's also got a 950 since Xmas, so....but most used has to be the HP Elite X3 - that screen and battery life!!! Oh, and also, as I have the Fitbit ionic now I use the pay system a lot, so it helps to not ALWAYS carry a phone (or two) but wish the ionic could have been a WM device such as a Band 3 that employed Windows mobile instead of the limiting software on the band 1 and 2. Anyway....

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon