Still using BIOS? It's time to switch to UEFI — here's how on Windows 10.

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
UEFI makes your device more secure and faster than the legacy BIOS, and in this guide, we show you the steps to switch.
mbr2gpt-bios-uefi-windows10_.jpg

On Windows 10, you can use the MBR2GPT command line tool to convert a drive using a Master Boot Record (MBR) to a GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition style, which allows you to properly switch from Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) to Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) without modifying the current installation or deleting the data stored on the drive.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

7 Natives

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
HELP!

I used these instructions to successfully convert a 2015 Dell 9020M on Win 10 Pro (1909) 64b to GPT from MBR that I had upgraded to 10 from 7 last week.:smile:

Then I tried it on a nearly-identical system I converted about 4-wks ago and ran into problems I can't figure out.:shocked:

Under Converting MBR to GPT partition style (recommended)
Step 6: click Advanced Options
Step 7: there is no "command Line" option… instead I get a text list of Safe Boot options and a next button.​

The list is dead; next gives me a Safe Mode list that is selectable by matching the number by each option with the corresponding function key, e.g., 1)=F1, 3)=F3, etc. F6 is the Safe Mode command line option and that's what it boots into: SAFE MODE COMMAND LINE. I can't get this thing to boot into the regular command line.

The two machines are identical except the successful machine is all hardwired while this one uses a Logitech wireless (Bluetooth) mouse and keyboard with a Logitech unifying receiver. The only user login is an Admin. The machine is completely updated to-date.

I want to run MBR2GPT.EXE from the command line because so many things can go sideways doing /allowFullOS and this machine runs our accounting software.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

— 7

P.S. I tried posting this as a comment under the full article on the blog but it claimed the post had links and said to contact the Site Admin. There are no links, nor is there any way it seems to contact the Site person — just fyi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss