01-31-2014 01:55 PM
64 123
tools
    Guys I'm hearing that a few people are seeing "there was a problem retrieving 5 of the news feeds" every time they use the app. So I need to find out what you all share in common so I can and replicate the error.

Please only provide details if you can never get the news to load, so if it always fails for you.

Can you all post:
    Your region,
    The device you are using,
    How you are accessing the app (wifi, ethernet, mobile data) and you your provider is.

We'll start with that for now and see if it's enough information. Thanks in advance!
    mpt15 and unstoppablekem like this.
    01-30-2014 02:02 AM
    Thanks for looking into this Jay:
    I'm using the app in India, on my HP laptop, and im using WiFi.

Also, the search function works fine and ads are displayed.
    Jay Bennett likes this.
    01-30-2014 02:05 AM
    I got the error thought it was a network issue but I am happy there is more people having the issue. I am on WiFi
    01-30-2014 02:15 AM
    I got the error thought it was a network issue but I am happy there is more people having the issue. I am on WiFi
    Joseph what region are you in?
    01-30-2014 02:18 AM
    I am in India using the app on win 8.1 64 bit in WIfi. At first it displayed problem in retrieving 5 feeds, but then after sometime it displays problem retrieving 4 feeds. Only news feed is updated.When i click on any other feed, i am greeted with a blank page.
    01-30-2014 02:57 AM
    Jay you again made tremendous app for windows 8.1
    I am using it on my custom build home PC.
    Configuration of my pc :-Intel dual core processor , 2gb ram, nvdia gt 210 graphic card, sony 40 inch Bravia LCD TV , connected via hdmi cable at full 1920X1080.
    I use both Ethernet and wifi. But I prefer Ethernet on this machine.
    running windows 8.1 X86(32bit) , with all windows update, firewall is on default settings ,
    Region :- India.
    I also mailed mobile nation about this issue. It included the auto generated error log , when I launched the app.
    01-30-2014 03:18 AM
    OK so far everyone reporting this is in India, which means it might be something to do with having those region settings, I'll see if I can replicate this one tonight when I get chance to work on the app
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    01-30-2014 03:19 AM
    OK so far everyone reporting this is in India, which means it might be something to do with having those region settings, I'll see if I can replicate this one tonight when I get chance to work on the app
    Take your time dude , I know its hard to find the bug/ error in the code.
    01-30-2014 03:20 AM
    Region: India
    Device: Desktop PC with Intel i5 running Win 8.1 64 bit
    Access: Ethernet, BSNL broadband
    Error: "Network Error There was a problem retrieving 5 of the news feeds" since the initial install. A couple of reinstall and reboot could not resolve the issue. The live icon showing the latest feeds and in-app search function is working good.
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    01-30-2014 03:22 AM
    OK if anyone in India is feeling really helpful, could you try changing your language & Region settings of your system to English just to see if it works correctly?
    01-30-2014 03:38 AM
    Language was set to English anyway. Doesn't work for me.
    01-30-2014 03:43 AM
    I live in Saudi Arabia (middle east)
    I use My VAIO (laptop) using WI-FI

I changed my region to USA for my PC and my Hotmail account.
    01-30-2014 03:48 AM
    what I really I can't understand is that the Live Tile is working will ?????
    01-30-2014 03:55 AM
    Language always been English (India). Changed region to US, rebooted, reinstalled... problem persists anyway..
    01-30-2014 04:03 AM
    Thanks for checking everyone, I'll have to dig into this further (although now I'm less sure of where to start!)
    01-30-2014 04:23 AM
    The live tile is a direct call to the server, what I think is happening is some of my code which converts our feed into the model which the app uses is failing under some circumstance. I'm really not sure which part is failing but I will try and get to the bottom of it!
    mpt15 likes this.
    01-30-2014 04:25 AM
    Just curious, the app doesn't work in India and Saudi only? Or other regions affected? Since its a region specific issue, I doubt it works in other countries other than US :-)
    01-30-2014 04:31 AM
    jay I changed my language and region to united states of America , restarted my machine , first login took 2-3 mins because it was updating my store , etc.
    so when I opened the app this came up, I responded and mailed once again
    1.jpg
    then I uninstalled the app and again installed it from the store (the store was updated with united states currency ) and the app loaded with error
    2.jpg

I ignored the error and tried to use the app,i was able to open the "Check out these great shots of a Seattle Seahawks game from the Nokia Lumia 1020" articles , I could also see the 4 comments on the articles , asked to me login with my mobile nation id , but I didn't
    then I tried to go help section by right clicking the mouse, I was again greeting with this error

3.jpg

after all this I thought I should revert back to my default settings (region :-India , keyboard India ), reboot the machine and login again took 1-2 minutes , tried to open the app and :/
    4.jpg

with the first email that was auto generated ( region was India at that time ) :-
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    StackTrace:
    at WPCentral.Win8.HubPage.FeatureTapped(Object sender, TappedRoutedEventArgs e)

and with the second email ( region was set to United states of America ) :-
    StackTrace:
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Add(T item)
    at WPCentral.Win8.DataAccess.DataAccessor.<Populate>d__15.MoveNext()

hope this helps you jay :)
    01-30-2014 04:37 AM
    Mine is on a Surface 2 all fully updated, using my Nokia 920 to tether to my mobile data (not at home currently; will try basic WiFi when I do get home), and out of the Detroit, Mi area. And obviously I'm receiving the same error as the other gentlemen.
    01-30-2014 04:52 AM
    After sometime the feed for apps section has got updated.But sections other than news& apps are not working.
    01-30-2014 05:01 AM
    Thank you all for the reports and detailed information. This issue is my number one priority and I will be sure to get it resolved for our first patch
    01-30-2014 05:21 AM
    Thank you all for the reports and detailed information. This issue is my number one priority and I will be sure to get it resolved for our first patch
    Yay. Love you jay xxx

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    01-30-2014 05:23 AM
    Just curious, the app doesn't work in India and Saudi only? Or other regions affected? Since its a region specific issue, I doubt it works in other countries other than US :-)
    It definitely works in regions other than the US, after all it was developer in the United Kingdom :)
    01-30-2014 05:23 AM
    I've just had a thought that I'd like to check. To everyone getting the error: What kind of internet speeds do you normally get? Please be as realistic as possible, (so if you're advertised 8 megabits but only usually get 2 megabits please tell me!).

The feeds being used for the Windows 8 app are much bigger than those for the Windows Phone app as normally it would be used with a better internet connection, however it could be that it's taking some time to download and I've set the app to time out the requests too early for slower connections.

Edit: and to help see if I'm right, could those who are seeing this error message tell me how long after starting the app it takes until you see that message (in seconds if possible!)
    Last edited by Jay Bennett; 01-30-2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    01-30-2014 05:26 AM
    I have a bandwidth of 2.78 mbps. D/L:1.38 mbps U/L:1.40 mbps .Checked with speedtest.net
    01-30-2014 05:34 AM
64 123