04-19-2014 11:33 AM
37 12
tools
    Hi Jay, Awesome job on the W8.1 version of the app. It is really well thought out and implemented. I have a few suggestions that I wanted to run by you:

1. Live Tile (large size) - Right now, it has only one face (side), that displays the three most recent headlines and tiny thumbnail-sized images. I'd like to see the live tile have two sides - one side (the front) displaying the latest headline and a large image, and the back side pretty much similar to the current view (except that it would display the next three article headlines). The front side that I've suggested is very similar to how other apps (Bing News, Flipboard) have implemented their large live tiles.

2. The scrolling behavior in an article and how the back button, <-, comes in the way of reading - Right now, when I'm reading an article that spans multiple pages (screens) and scroll to the right to read more content, the back button (<-) is overlaid on the article text. Not a big deal, but renders it unpleasant. I wondered how apps like Bing News implemented this, because I know they have the back button too, but I never felt like it came in the way of reading. So I switched to Bing News and noticed that they've implemented a cool trick. When you scroll to the right to read more of the article's content, you don't scroll some arbitrary amount. You scroll an entire screen's worth. And the left-most region is left empty (no text), and it is in this region that the back arrow is located, hence not overlaid with any text. You might want to check it out, it's pretty cool. I was wondering if you could implement something similar in this app. This would be beneficial two-fold. Apart from not having the back button overlaid with the text, it would also reduce the amount of scrolling required to read an entire article.

Thanks, and looking forward to your reply.
    01-30-2014 07:40 PM
    Its a nice app but it doesn't yet feel finished.

1. Spell check. There is none that I was able to find.
    2. Reading articles then when you're done, it drops you back to the front page. It should return you where you were in your last page view. IMHO. Maybe there is a reason for why it doesn't. idk.
    3. Comments section simply look less "uniform" that it should. Maybe I'm used to a more uniform appearance so it may be something I have to get used to. Nahh don't think I can.
    4. It seriously needs a paid ad-free version.
    01-30-2014 08:16 PM
    Its a nice app but it doesn't yet feel finished.

1. Spell check. There is none that I was able to find.
    2. Reading articles then when you're done, it drops you back to the front page. It should return you where you were in your last page view. IMHO. Maybe there is a reason for why it doesn't. idk.
    3. Comments section simply look less "uniform" that it should. Maybe I'm used to a more uniform appearance so it may be something I have to get used to. Nahh don't think I can.
    4. It seriously needs a paid ad-free version.
    I agree. Going back to the front page it's just weird. Also the option to sign in should be easier to find, I never would've found it down there at the end of the comments.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    01-30-2014 08:42 PM
    I agree. Going back to the front page it's just weird. Also the option to sign in should be easier to find, I never would've found it down there at the end of the comments.

Exactly. Blkacesvf41. I had to hunt for that login and began to wonder crazy things like, maybe I need to open the article in the browser first or something.. I found it finally but where it should have been is on the charms bar. That's where apps like News Bento, NextGen Reader, Readily, Flipboard, Discourse to name a few, put that kind of thing. Again, maybe we are in on the app early because it doesn't feel like its finished yet but its off to a decent start. Its on my lap and my RT but I'll wait on it to put it on my main computer. The browser works best there.
    01-31-2014 01:54 AM
    Exactly. Blkacesvf41. I had to hunt for that login and began to wonder crazy things like, maybe I need to open the article in the browser first or something.. I found it finally but where it should have been is on the charms bar. That's where apps like News Bento, NextGen Reader, Readily, Flipboard, Discourse to name a few, put that kind of thing. Again, maybe we are in on the app early because it doesn't feel like its finished yet but its off to a decent start. Its on my lap and my RT but I'll wait on it to put it on my main computer. The browser works best there.
    I know. Someone posted on one of the threads where that login was, otherwise I never would've found it! It should really be on that top menu. Don't wanna sound overcritical, because these guys at WPCentral really do a nice job!

GizmoEV likes this.
    01-31-2014 06:10 AM
    1. Live Tile (large size) - Right now, it has only one face (side), that displays the three most recent headlines and tiny thumbnail-sized images. I'd like to see the live tile have two sides - one side (the front) displaying the latest headline and a large image, and the back side pretty much similar to the current view (except that it would display the next three article headlines). The front side that I've suggested is very similar to how other apps (Bing News, Flipboard) have implemented their large live tiles.
    Just to respond to this one, as far as I know Windows 8 apps can't have flipping, multi-sided tiles. We can rotate the display in the same way as things like Bing news do (which should already be happening, I'll look into why it is not), but no two sided tiles
    01-31-2014 09:49 AM
    If I may make another suggestion Jay: When refreshing the comments in an article, why does it take you back to the top? Wouldn't be better if it kept you in place?
    01-31-2014 02:24 PM
    If I may make another suggestion Jay: When refreshing the comments in an article, why does it take you back to the top? Wouldn't be better if it kept you in place?
    I'll see what can be done
    01-31-2014 02:40 PM
    Is there a way to go to the forums using the app?
    01-31-2014 04:18 PM
    Thank you Jay! I have been waiting for this to come out :) As I play with it more I'll get back with some feed back. At first glance, it looks awesome.
    01-31-2014 05:00 PM
    Is there a way to go to the forums using the app?
    No, forums haven't been added to the app. They're coming soon.
    xboxonthego3 likes this.
    01-31-2014 05:37 PM
    I like what I see so far.... But, any chance of color options? Other than pink? ;)
    02-05-2014 09:10 PM
    I like what I see so far.... But, any chance of color options? Other than pink? ;)
    yes that will probably happen in the next update
    02-06-2014 02:50 AM
    Please use sans-serif fonts everywhere, or give us the option to choose sans-serif fonts.

The serif font is difficult to read on a monitor. Serif fonts only look good on print media.
    02-06-2014 03:24 AM
    Laura, please see this post: Official WPCentral apps updated today with fixes and new features | Windows Phone Central to see the option has been added for article reading. Then I'd suggest also reading this guidance from MS: Guidelines for fonts (Windows Store apps) (Windows)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-06-2014 03:32 AM
    Laura, please see this post: Official WPCentral apps updated today with fixes and new features | Windows Phone Central to see the option has been added for article reading. Then I'd suggest also reading this guidance from MS: Guidelines for fonts (Windows Store apps) (Windows)
    I did read it. That's how I knew to update. I'm running the latest version, but I cannot find where to change the font.

02-06-2014 03:38 AM
    We're duplicating threads here, but for anyone following this one, I answered Laura's queries here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wpc...font-size.html
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-06-2014 03:53 AM
    How about making pictures clickable to view them full-screen? You already implemented that in the WP version and I kind of miss it here. Scrolling to the end of the article to get to the gallery is a bit cumbersome.
    Also, I'd like to be able to change the font for the main page instead of just the articles. Right now, it just looks weird to me that the WPcentral logo and every other UI element is sans-serif while the rest is not. Even if it follows microsoft's guidelines. I like what the Bing News app is doing regarding this matter.
    02-08-2014 12:14 PM
    How about making pictures clickable to view them full-screen? You already implemented that in the WP version and I kind of miss it here. Scrolling to the end of the article to get to the gallery is a bit cumbersome.
    Also, I'd like to be able to change the font for the main page instead of just the articles. Right now, it just looks weird to me that the WPcentral logo and every other UI element is sans-serif while the rest is not. Even if it follows microsoft's guidelines. I like what the Bing News app is doing regarding this matter.
    Bing news uses Serif fonts for all headlines but not for the content previews so we could potentially implement something like that on the front page yes. I'll probably have the front page content previews follow your preference for article content
    srslykev and sd173 like this.
    02-09-2014 04:58 AM
    I haven't been able to get the latest update to the app from the marketplace yet.
    02-12-2014 11:32 AM
    I haven't been able to get the latest update to the app from the marketplace yet.
    Open the app then go to the charms bar >settings >app updates >check for updates.
    02-13-2014 06:33 AM
    Open the app then go to the charms bar >settings >app updates >check for updates.
    I've tried, but there's still no update.
    02-13-2014 06:08 PM
    I've tried, but there's still no update.
    Check the version you're running, it may have automatically updated. Go to our app and open the settings charm, then tap the about option which will show the version number up top
    02-14-2014 03:35 AM
    Check the version you're running, it may have automatically updated. Go to our app and open the settings charm, then tap the about option which will show the version number up top
    Now, why didn't I think of that? Old age can be a cruel thing!
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    02-14-2014 05:25 AM
    The app says "1.1.0.4" as the version.
    I don't know if this is the updated version but I haven't seen any new features in the settings, like accent colors or serif-sans-serif options.
    02-14-2014 09:36 AM
37 12