What is the purpose of Windows Hello on phones?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a 950 XL and i was thinking about this today. From a security standpoint Windows Hello on the 950 and 950 XL does nothing. Sure it looks cool and it's a novelty feature but if MS is trying to sell Hello as a more secure feature i don't see the reason. It is there in ADDITION to the pin, so if someone is trying to break into your phone or finds out your pin then they can still unlock the phone with or without Hello. I thought Hello would be enabled in place of a Pin then it would make sense. But when i went to enable Hello on my 950 XL it said i must have a pin on my phone then i could set it up and enable it. What's the point of a super secure Iris scanner if it is just an addition to insecure 4-digit pin. I guess in the future it may function differently and thats why its just in beta but as it is...i really dont understand this security feature. Anyone want to chime in here? Or prove me wrong that would be fine too ;) ...just trying to make sense of this.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a 950 XL and i was thinking about this today. From a security standpoint Windows Hello on the 950 and 950 XL does nothing. Sure it looks cool and it's a novelty feature but if MS is trying to sell Hello as a more secure feature i don't see the reason. It is there in ADDITION to the pin, so if someone is trying to break into your phone or finds out your pin then they can still unlock the phone with or without Hello. I thought Hello would be enabled in place of a Pin then it would make sense. But when i went to enable Hello on my 950 XL it said i must have a pin on my phone then i could set it up and enable it. What's the point of a super secure Iris scanner if it is just an addition to insecure 4-digit pin. I guess in the future it may function differently and thats why its just in beta but as it is...i really dont understand this security feature. Anyone want to chime in here? Or prove me wrong that would be fine too ;) ...just trying to make sense of this.

At some point Hello will authenticate you to major websites and things like servers and VPNs its FIDO compliant. The PIN serves as multi-factor on the Phone

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
At some point Hello will authenticate you to major websites and things like servers and VPNs its FIDO compliant. The PIN serves as multi-factor on the Phone

Ok so in its current state it really doesnt do anything for security, but once it gets better and comes out of beta then it will be used as standalone identification or 2-fac w/pin...that would make sense. But right now it really doesnt do anything but look cool and possibly slightly faster at times than a pin.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok so in its current state it really doesnt do anything for security, but once it gets better and comes out of beta then it will be used as standalone identification or 2-fac w/pin...that would make sense. But right now it really doesnt do anything but look cool and possibly slightly faster at times than a pin.

Yup,,plus its a test bed for the surface phone authentication methodology

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

The pin is not "insecure", there is a limit of times you can write the pin. My pin is a 8 digits password.

Last edited:

flyspy122

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
It serves as an alternative login the same way it does on android or iphones. It's an alternative for if the primary doesn't work for some reason, or you want to let a loved one (that you trust) use your phone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget Hello is beta on the phone. I guess the pin is for back up on beta. I gave up with it. Done the enhanced recognition, I wear glasses, and apparently I now have no eyes!! Keep getting move closer. I'll get screen burn on my retina if I get any closer :) Without specs, it works fine, and is mildly entertaining. From what I have read, it can be a damn sight more secure than fingerprints.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs