Windows Phone 9 concept - linking1990

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Way too busy to be Modern. It's less simple and more Android like. Modern design language puts content first not controls. It brings to you all the content without distracting you. This home screen will freak me out not just distract me. Far too many circles in boxes that are a mix of squares and rectangles.

If I had to have an interactive tile, I would rather have gesture based tiles. A tap zooms the tile and opens up these extra circles (controls). However, a double tap will just open the apps like they do right now. It's simple, but effect way to leave Modern, well modern and still make it powerful.

Gestures are way forward. Customized gesture. Maybe double tap to launch for me but maybe making a circle motion on tile for you.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Way too busy to be Modern. It's less simple and more Android like. Modern design language puts content first not controls. It brings to you all the content without distracting you. This home screen will freak me out not just distract me. Far too many circles in boxes that are a mix of squares and rectangles.

If I had to have an interactive tile, I would rather have gesture based tiles. A tap zooms the tile and opens up these extra circles (controls). However, a double tap will just open the apps like they do right now. It's simple, but effect way to leave Modern, well modern and still make it powerful.

Gestures are way forward. Customized gesture. Maybe double tap to launch for me but maybe making a circle motion on tile for you.

Apparently MS vision of uber-simplicity has not gone over well with the consumer market. People want more features, not less.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Apparently MS vision of uber-simplicity has not gone over well with the consumer market. People want more features, not less.

More features is not the same as what I meant. I never said MS don't want you to have features - you may agree with me when you read about all the leaks. They are busy making your mobile phone into a PC.

However, UI is a whole lot of different story. Go find me articles that say Windows Phone is ugly. Everyone has appreciated this design. Internet sites have changed their looks to be like Windows Phone. iOS7 wants to look like Windows Phone. So making clutter will change simplicity and will change how it looks - totally opposite to what the mass has loved so far.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Only saw the first three pictures and I already love this! This made me realize what I like about WP custom background images. They make the live tiles pop out! It creates depth, and I love it! It makes the start screen interesting, instead of the boring (albeit, very useful and loved) crap we have now.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Complimentary accent colours yes, simplistic background designs like the concentric circles one from Windows 8 yes. Hell, even throw in some subtle parallax scrolling if they want, but Photos behind the Tiles....

....is like slapping Bumper Stickers on a Ferrari. No, just no.

That's a case where Microsoft needs to protect the look of the OS, and (some) Users from themselves.

Last edited:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ah, this is the first time I see someone really tries to merge the UI instead of containing themselves with WPX. Good job.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated.

I wonder why some people think of it as an Android copy, while most of my ideas came straight ahead from Microsoft's own OS: Windows 8.

As I said earlier, I realize that it can make some things more busy, but it's a sacrifice that you'll have to take in the sake of functionality. If you want something so simple, you might as well stick with your applist, have one home page that scrolls (similar to iOS). But can you do that really?

Thank you for your post.

I think I've always been the gesture-type guy, I like them pretty much, but when you're talking about simplicity, gestures are your nightmare. They can confuse consumers way too much, people have suffered a lot with Windows 8 and Blackberry's OS. I like what you're suggesting, but this can be a little bit complicated.

Anyways, If you try to download these images, and open them on a Lumia 1520, you would get my concept better. It looks really beautiful on the screen of a big phone.

Also, if you look at the Facebook tile, buttons are not always circles, they can open up an API where certain places of the tile can be buttons. For instance: notifications, messages and friend requests of Facebook, so instead of having four tiles for Facebook (main, notifications, messages, friend requests), you could have just ONE! Doesn't that make things more simple?

also, you are the black_hawk of the verge right?

yup :)

Last edited by a moderator:

yehuda92

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
nope, sorry way way way to crowded to be considered modern... the design looks like it might work on larger phones like the 1520, but anything smaller than that would look like windows 8 and android had a baby... and not in the good way :p

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I won't be nice but as much as I appreciate the effort, there's too much text, unnecessary tile shortcuts, translucencies, and it's too cramped. It looks like BB10 with a 3rd party wp launcher and Asha OS lockscreen notifications. Just, try sticking with the design language a bit more. You could lose those translucencies and maybe apply a bit more space in notifications, also lose the buttons on tiles - tiles display information, so a more ideal function for it to be more interactive would be if the app can be programmed to go straight to the content as soon as the user taps on the tile with whatever information is displayed, so it's like saying for example, when you play a song and exit back to the start screen and you tap on music+videos tile it goes to the hub instead of the now playing screen, when really it should take you to the now playing screen, thus eliminating the press volume button and tap on song to take you to now playing screen (get me?).

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
This is a really awesome concept. The best part of this concept is how you've brought life to the UI as I'm really bored with the solid colours of the live tiles which is the only thing I hate about WP.