Windows 9 tech preview

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking this morning about the tech preview we'll see in a bit more than a month. Of course I'm already planning to install this, first as a VM and if I'm convinced of its - relative - stability after a month, install it in my main machine. However, it just occurred to me: would MS release the tech preview also for the ARM Surface lineup? That could be interesting... specially if they release Surface 3 with both Windows 9 and Gemini MS Office tech previews (in some beta form).

What do people think? Will we be able to try the win9 tech preview on our ARM Surfaces? Would it be smarter to release Surface 3 with win8 or with the win9/Gemini tech previews?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking this morning about the tech preview we'll see in a bit more than a month. Of course I'm already planning to install this, first as a VM and if I'm convinced of its - relative - stability after a month, install it in my main machine. However, it just occurred to me: would MS release the tech preview also for the ARM Surface lineup? That could be interesting... specially if they release Surface 3 with both Windows 9 and Gemini MS Office tech previews (in some beta form).

What do people think? Will we be able to try the win9 tech preview on our ARM Surfaces? Would it be smarter to release Surface 3 with win8 or with the win9/Gemini tech previews?

According to MJF, we won't likely get n ARM preview. That being said, they should probably release a Surface 3 either with 8 or wait until next year.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
According to MJF, we won't likely get n ARM preview.
Windows 'Threshold' and cadence: How fast is too fast? | ZDNet:

Mary Jo Foley said:
There will be a separate preview of Threshold running on ARM processors, too. My sources are saying the current target date for that preview is January or February 2015. As the ARM-based version of Threshold -- which should run on both Windows Phones and tablets -- isn't expected to include the Windows desktop, the focus will be on changes Microsoft is making to the Metro-Style Start screen environment.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I read that Microsoft may release Windows 8.3 which will have some of the features of Windows9. If you run Windows 8.1 you will have a jump start on Windows9.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Got a link?

Yea, I would love to see proof of that too (updated). The word was from a past //build was that the start menu was going to come to a Windows 8 update, yes. There is a link to the video in one of these threads here.

It seems the direction has changed and instead of bringing it to Windows 8, they will be adding it and adding to it in Windows 9...

If there is updated information saying that the start menu, etc will be coming to Windows 8, I would like to see it..

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
The word was from a past //build was that the start menu was going to come to a Windows 8 update, yes.
Yes, that was Myerson in his keynote officially showing off the new Live Tile enabled Start Menu for the first time and saying "The new Start menu will be available in a future update to Windows 8.1". At that time we were lead to believe he was speaking about Win8.2, but after a while it became clear we wouldn't see it before Win9 aka Threshold.

If there is updated information saying that the start menu, etc will be coming to Windows 8, I would like to see it..
Me too. I think they've given up on enhancing Win8 due to the cloud of negativity surrounding it and are focussing on Win9 now. IMO the only reason at this point for the Start Menu to be ported to Win8 would be if Win9 is not going to be free or a very cheap upgrade for all Win8 users, irrespective of when they purchased the latter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea