What do you think Threshold should be called?

N Stanfield Roberts

May 28, 2014
Visit site
When the upcoming refresh of Windows 8 comes along, you know, Threshold/Windows 9, what do you think it SHOULD be called?

Personally, I think they'd be missing an opportunity if they didn't name it Windows One:

One for Phone - all tiles, focus on connectivity and comunication
One for Tablet - all tiles, focus on media consumtion
One for Hybrid - half tiles/half desktop - for on the go productivity with the freedom to access modia related things
One for Desktop - all desktop - productivity is key, but you can still access whatever you want (bar phone)

I can just see the situation...
*at the shop looking at a windows phone/tablet/hybrid/dektop*
"What OS does this run?" asks the shopper,
"Oh that? That runs the windows phone/tablet/hybrid/dektop One" with no need for emphasis on the 'one'

For one thing I think this would just be funny, but I do think that Windows One would be a good name!

What are other people thoughts?

*Edit - I managed to make two of these threads, I think the other one is better written...*

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I love "Windows One" but unlike you, I believe the focus should be on the "One". Would be commonly called "One OS" for all devices.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, "One OS" sounds pretty good. Goes with the already successful Xbox One. One OS would be the future of Xbox, PCs, Tablets, Phones, Watches, and I can even see it taking over the "Smart TV" to give a better unified experience there as well.

Personally, I'd rather have a TV with Windows One OS than a smart watch, because I have no use for the watch.

On a lighter, more jovial twist, if we play out the name...

1. Windows has been called Windows for a long time.
2. Microsoft has code named the next iteration "Threshold", which is the base you step over passing through a doorway.
3. Perhaps we need to stop travelling through "Windows" and start using "Doors."
4. After all, it was Microsoft that came up with, "Where do you want to go today."
5. A Door means actually going some place instead of looking out the window and thinking about the places you see.
6. Don't take me seriously, Doors would be a lousy name, and you know it. Although, The Doors used to get some good listening time on my radio...

I agree with poiman, focus on "One". It has so many good connotations, like "We're #1", First, etc. It also has the connotation of being "simple", which is what people want, and why people went to the iPhone. Making it simple across all your devices would put every other competitor playing catch up for a change. I think over time, that unified simplicity will win out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750