Windows 10 Impressions?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes it will result in a closure of the app gap since MS said its one code base now and they are targeting an easier way to develop apps for all form factors with one store for all apps.

It may also result in better apps as a developer only has to write the app once and debug one set of code not two or three.

The modern UI is still there but the bull start screen will be there for touch only and convertible devices unless you opt for the start screen in settings. its formfactor dependent
desktops = start menu
surface = start screen and start menu. Depends on if its in laptop mode (type cover case) = start menu or tablet mode (type cover off touch only mode) = start screen and full screen apps.
tablets = start screen.
phones = start screen no desktop.

Regardless of the accuracy of your statement re the desktop, your comments about apps and app gaps are crystal ball level speculation. It will not close any gaps unless developers buy into it. In fact, since the current apps are not universal, it could make the situation much worse in the short term. Yes, that is speculation on my part but it is at least based in logic. Regardless of fantasy PR today, developers who have never completely embraced W8 or WP8 will have to recompile, re-code, and test to have universal apps. Any bets on that happening soon? While universal code (which I will believe when I see it) would theoretically be of benefit down the line, it offers end users nothing on the front end. Best case scenario is W8 apps will work in W10 and the future will bring something more. Worst case scenario is they make a mess of current generation apps and we effectively have useless apps stores again. BTW, I am pretty sure their language was along the lines of advancing the goal, not achieving it. Users should not assume it means a thing for day of release....

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably staying up all night hoping to see this go live at some point. I'll be extremely disappointed if it doesn't happen till late in the evening tomorrow.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of the accuracy of your statement re the desktop, your comments about apps and app gaps are crystal ball level speculation. It will not close any gaps unless developers buy into it. In fact, since the current apps are not universal, it could make the situation much worse in the short term. Yes, that is speculation on my part but it is at least based in logic. Regardless of fantasy PR today, developers who have never completely embraced W8 or WP8 will have to recompile, re-code, and test to have universal apps. Any bets on that happening soon? While universal code (which I will believe when I see it) would theoretically be of benefit down the line, it offers end users nothing on the front end. Best case scenario is W8 apps will work in W10 and the future will bring something more. Worst case scenario is they make a mess of current generation apps and we effectively have useless apps stores again. BTW, I am pretty sure their language was along the lines of advancing the goal, not achieving it. Users should not assume it means a thing for day of release....

I watched the video and It was more demo of the ux and ui for the end user even though the event was billed for the enterprise.

Just based on the presentation, developers for Win 8/WP 8 will have a leg up because the part about integrating live tiles and Modern apps more seamlessly into the desktop looked great. That was the big reveal in the presentation. I know having certain live tiles on the desktop in Win 8 right now would be nice. Of course, if the apps are too obtrusive it would remind me of the clunky Sidebar in Windows Vista.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: windows 10

I dont know... I kinda like it....
I know the Apple Fanners are going to have a field day comparing this to OSX but... Windows X, WP X, Xbox One.... kinda cool IMO.

Well in the live feed on The Verge this morning during the Q&A portion someone already asked if this was going to start a naming series of big cats with Win 10 but the answer was sadly no. LOL

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

i never said any of what i said are facts its my basic understanding ... this is why windows is the way it is its attitudes like that...

and you have a point developers would have to recompile code ... windows 8.1 ushered in universal apps but ppl did not take to it they might just take it ir for Windows 10 as MS said once they put the right tools and do the right marketing for the developers....

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Its been one code base since Windows Vista (NT 6.0) - Windows NT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you do realize MS changes the code with each version do u? :) its under the NT family but each version number has been alot of changes
so different code.

and i mean same code as in WP and W10 will share more than 70% of its base i would estimate 90% with the rest for UI differences and phone specific features ... but hey what do i know ... its all speculation.
:(

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

Good points all, and the same doubts I have, piercing through a lot of the hyperbole and hype.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
atleast they didnt name it windows one like android one
we are better off with 10 like blakberry and apple(BB10 and OSX)

Yes, I don't know why but I think Android took that "one" name away from Microsoft. Its a good name windows 10. Roman X, & also the one in 10

williamjaco

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was a mistake until you think that they already had two
O/S versions that started Windows 9 just happened to be 95 and 98.

So best for no confusion. Plus since Mac OS is on 10 (X) then why
sound like you are behind?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense but there is a possibility that they did it to get people talking about the weird numbering system and hence the OS. I just hope for windows phone users that it won't be a downgrade like windows phone 7 to windows phone 8 was.

StefEBear

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft are saying it's more than just a simple progression. And it really is.. Windows 10 is not just an upgrade to Windows 8 but a Jump ahead.
With it bringing all of Microsoft's platforms into one central core, although with the many faces, it's more than just a single step

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I dont care what it's called tbh. Overall the changes they have coming are exciting and I can't wait to try it out.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I don't know why but I think Android took that "one" name away from Microsoft. Its a good name windows 10. Roman X, & also the one in 10

PLZ android did not take anything ... as MS said Windows 1.o has been done, there is oneDrive, xbox One, One note so Windows One while i like it as it sounds unified just addes to the big mess one things named One in MS ecosystem .... b

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss