Windows 10 Impressions?

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft bring everything promised to Windows 10, if it is truly innovative then I hope they succeed where they haven't before.

MSFT need to learn from their mistakes and rectify them.

I'm actually excited about an OS for the first time since Arch Linux was released.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
The coolest explanation for the name Windows 10 was this:
The 2 most popular choices were Windows One and Windows X

10 --> 1.0 --> One
10 --> X

So in a sense Windows 10 contains both Windows One and Windows X names in it.

Yeah Yeah, I know this is like conspiracy theorists rational but I like thinking about it this way.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
PLZ android did not take anything ... as MS said Windows 1.o has been done, there is oneDrive, xbox One, One note so Windows One while i like it as it sounds unified just addes to the big mess one things named One in MS ecosystem .... b

actually psoham777 is right because when skydrive was forcibly renamed a year ago to onedrive,android one never even existed
so they did take the one name away from microsoft
anyways this is going off topic

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Been running it for over a couple of hours without any hiccups. Everything working as in 8.1. I am running it on my main desktop and really I have no complaints.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I accidentally went all in and replaced my primary Windows 7 with Windows 10. Oops.

Been using it for a few hours, and everything seems to be working fine, games are playing, files are there, and no crashes or BSODs!

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Has there been any word on if updates to the preview over coming months will consist of new features? I'm hoping we see a gradual increase in features, in particular Cortona. And I'm really hoping they plan on adding functionality where the OS can interact with our Windows Phones. Would love to be able to receive and send text messages from my PC.

koolnaija

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The new start menu is different will take a little adjustment also moving the settings options to the top of the window is good for people on desktops. I still liked the full screen start menu especially on SP3 which will remain untouched for now. The listing of all the apps is still up in the air but i know it's going to be a different experience for everyone.

Additional review:
I actually miss the option to restart apps by dragging them to the bottom of the screen. I t seems like closing the windows now actually ends the application that may have replaced that function.

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think people should give MS a break here. Windows 10 is their chance to finally *fix* the GUI on Windows 8 and have a new base to build innovative UX on. Just like Apple with OS X. They nailed the UX early on and have been able to iterate it adding nice user experiences over the years without ever breaking basic functionality people took for granted. It's only too bad that they needed the utter debacle of Windows 8 to create what will end up Windows 10. No doubt Sinofsky will claim that Windows 10 was his vision all along.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think a pure Modern UI experience is superior than the windowed environment. Windows 10 is a step backwards.

Apps looks better without chrome, specially content consumption apps.
Windows don't add much value, but they add friction, the user have to manage them. The most common layouts are an app taking all the space, or two apps, each using 50%.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it's good, especially with keyboard shortcut support for command prompt.

I don't know why but people seem to forget that there's the Continuum feature for hybrid and I think this will also be featured for touch devices (except for smartphones, I presume).

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think a pure Modern UI experience is superior than the windowed environment. Windows 10 is a step backwards.

Apps looks better without chrome, specially content consumption apps.
Windows don't add much value, but they add friction, the user have to manage them. The most common layouts are an app taking all the space, or two apps, each using 50%.

It isn't a superior experience for desktop PC users, not at all. However being able to run those MSN apps in a windows is a big deal along with bringing back the start menu and Task View.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously hating the left swipe glance being gone. It gives us the option to pick one on the screen. I would rather have the option to swipe through apps. It just feels fast and amazingly mesmerizing. I am very disappointed by that.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I finally installed it last night (I was at work when it went live) and I like it. Read complaints about the install process, but I found it just as easy as always. I had a few problems... Like the feedback app crashing and the live tiles on the start menu not responding until I rebooted while the rest of the menu was fine, but issues are to be expected.

Can't wait to get home from work today to play some more lol.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
From a business perspective I can imagine that windows 10 could be a good update to windows 7. The OS seems more refined to adding windows 7 and windows 8 elements to an optimized mouse and keyboard experience. I still think the windows store and option for installing legacy apps respectively programs will be a confusing experience. I think many will still question the added value. It indeed feels like a threshold experience, either a love or hate experience. First impressions for me is a luke-warm impression.

From a personal pc user perspectieve, I currently see no added value of windows 10 over windows 7 on my desktop. I think I'll stick to windows 7 for a while longer. Windows 7 is a fine OS.

From a personal surface pro owner perspective, what I'm seeing in windows 10 now is a further degredation of the end user experience and definitely not an OS I'm going to install. I think I'll wait for the next windows version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss