Windows 10 Impressions?

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It isn't a superior experience for desktop PC users, not at all. However being able to run those MSN apps in a windows is a big deal along with bringing back the start menu and Task View.

It's uncommon to use a complex layout of windows. A simpler, more constrained environment like the Modern UI is better.
It needs some improvements, for example, the snap feature and the mechanism to generate a second instance of an app.
Of course the desktop would have to be removed and productivity apps would have to be ported to Modern UI, optimized for keyboard and mouse.

What killed Windows 8 was the coexistence of two incompatible environments, the lack of Modern versions of key apps like office, and the resistance to change.

Although, I'm convinced that it's a better solution for most of the cases, and probably MS hasn't abandoned the idea. A refined Windows RT without desktop should be the OS for most of the people, in PCs, convertibles and tablets.

Windows 10 is big step backwards, hopefully just a transition.

Skinnyman9000

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
It looks good to me. I'm a touchscreen laptop user, but having metro apps open in windows is a good thing, as is the additional desktops, which is one of the best features of OSX.

Also, if they can truely unify the OS and have one app store it might be enough to finally push me over to WP. I've dabbled in the past, but it's never quite felt finished. Hopefully this will tie everything together. And if my WP works with Windows 10 desktop as well as the iPhone and macs then I think I'll be going all in.

lordbebech

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well i would be maybe impressed but actually i am pissed off instead. I was hoping that upgrade installation will recover at least my metro app from W8.1 but not kind a thing: No apps, no programs only shortcuts on desktop have remained from old windows installation and files in folders.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy OFFICE REMOTE fianally works with my Nokia 520...been trying to get it to work for months in 7 with tech support.

In general...

This is the best of both 7 and 8.1...with an updated 7 UI..... if you switch back to Start Screen its basically an upgraded 8.1. The added features will be nice too.

So in all its what I was waiting for.... when I want 7 I get 7ish, when I want 8 I get 8ish and I don't have to compromise features at all.

Its a very smooth polished OS and will be amazing in RTM in 8-9 months. Way ahead of Windows 8 or 7 beta programs already.

After all they did not have to re-invent the wheel just take the best of everything and make Windows 10.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
It's uncommon to use a complex layout of windows. A simpler, more constrained environment like the Modern UI is better.
It needs some improvements, for example, the snap feature and the mechanism to generate a second instance of an app.
Of course the desktop would have to be removed and productivity apps would have to be ported to Modern UI, optimized for keyboard and mouse.

What killed Windows 8 was the coexistence of two incompatible environments, the lack of Modern versions of key apps like office, and the resistance to change.

Although, I'm convinced that it's a better solution for most of the cases, and probably MS hasn't abandoned the idea. A refined Windows RT without desktop should be the OS for most of the people, in PCs, convertibles and tablets.

Desktop apps cannot be ported over to Modern stop trying to change windows .... you way just ignores millions of business and people who use windows to get things done productively that the point im trying to make.

you cant just throw people under a bus just because u want something your way.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I accidentally went all in and replaced my primary Windows 7 with Windows 10. Oops.

Been using it for a few hours, and everything seems to be working fine, games are playing, files are there, and no crashes or BSODs!

Windows has come a long way the Core of W8 was very stable and they built on that core further improving it for W10 my system flies boot times and responsiveness are worlds better than W8 for me but i do hate the drop shadow they have on active windows its big and rough looking they need a smaller more pronounced shadow.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
actually psoham777 is right because when skydrive was forcibly renamed a year ago to onedrive,android one never even existed
so they did take the one name away from microsoft
anyways this is going off topic

even if thats true MS said one is done already ... so i doubt they would have used it even if android did not take it ...

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I erased my windows 8.1 and installed Windows 10 on my main computer, 'cause I trust MSFT. And boy... I LOVE IT! Really fast! Install from USB to my SSD HD was flawless, took only 10 minutes to put the whole thing up and running. Had two small issues:

1) Screen resolution stuck on 1024
2) Lenovo's trackpad went crazy

Just downloaded drivers from Lenovo and it is running fine now.

Love how now you can choose the size of every window... Multiple desktops... Just awesome!

MSFT, you never fail to amuse me!

I give 10 a solid 10!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Desktop users will never see the Modern Start Screen unless they deliberately choose it. Same with with Charms Bar. Windows 10 will be friendly again and cause Windows 7 users to upgrade which is part of the plan.

Julek

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have just installed it so I need to spend a little bit more time playing with it, however I have a question.

Do you have only 2 levels of brightness? Because I do. It is either completely dark or moderately bright.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Have had it installed for about an hour, so far so good. Really like the UI changes so far and am interested to see what other changes we see from now until release. I thought I would kind of miss the start screen, but the combination of live tiles with the new start menu actually looks much nicer in practice than it did in the screenshots IMO.

One thing I haven't quite figured out yet, is if I can run IE in modern/metro mode, because one feature I really like in IE for Win8.1 is the reader mode in the browser. I'm sure it's probably in here somewhere I just haven't found how to do it yet.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I have just installed it so I need to spend a little bit more time playing with it, however I have a question.

Do you have only 2 levels of brightness? Because I do. It is either completely dark or moderately bright.

update drivers especially graphic drivers

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For me, Windows 8 on a laptop was a huge pain. I dreaded going into Windows and only did so to play games(dual boot from Mac). I do not want apps taking up the entire screen. That is ridiculous. I really do hope Windows 10 goes back to the Windows 7 paradigm and only allows the "modern", less functional look, if enabled.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I can't get it. The setup keeps getting hung on the "Getting updates" screen, and it never finds anything. Then when I exit, it gets hung on the "Setup is cleaning up" screen.

Edit: A simple restart was able to fix this problem.

Last edited:

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I would like a new version of WMP. Is anyone considering that?
I would like the new WMP to play MKVs and deal with external subs. Also, I did not appreciate the fact that they killed the Dolby enhancement. Now that SRS belongs to DTS, they can also give some serious DTS enhancements, because SRS WOW sometimes sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb