Windows 10 Impressions?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The worst thing - - I cannot disable the Automatic Updates!!! So, unexpectedly while shutting down, it asks me not to unplug the machine as it is UPDATING!!!!

You can also got into GP and change it to not auto restart when a user is logged in..... This is one of the things I set as group policy on my domain.... You can set this, it will install updates but, just yell at you needing to reboot, but, will not do it automatically. Personally, I set it to download, then notify me before installing.

You should be able to google/bing it, it's the same for Windows 7 and up...(I think it's in XP too)

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Anyone updated to build 9860?? Any malfunctions in notification aka "Action" centre encountered? Just asking.
Because, if it shows a notification related to any app and you open that app, it will still continue to show the notification until you clear it or tap it! A small bug.

Last edited:

xfiarc

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
So far its running OK.. BTW I'm using the technical preview from day 1 and I can say its getting better after every update.. Hope it continues to get better and become the new windows 7 ;)

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been running Windows10 for a week.
PC is homebuilt.
Core I5-655k (overclock to 3.6Ghz), built in 1st gen IntelHD graphics (overclock to 800Mhz)
Dual Core, Hyperthread.
8GB DDR3-1333 memory
Harddrive 256GB SSD (sata6), DVD-BluRay (sata3)
GIgabyte H55n-usb3 motherboard..
2.1 speaker system, 25" 1920X1080 Monitor via DVI
USB Wifi Adapter (Asus)
Okay, I list all of that to give you an idea of what's powering it.

We like it. Zero reboots in a week (other than a few updates.)
For fun we installed the HuluPlus, Netflix and YouTube 'Apps' in lieu of going to the websites. Netflix behaves funny if you leave a movie paused for a long time... but a restart of the app and reload of the movie and it leaves off where you paused it....

All of the other stuff works as expected.... Downloaded a few themes (Paths is my favorite) and messed with some transparencies, colors and it's almost as 'pretty' as my Win7 interface. You get used to the 'squareness' of everything rather quickly. StartMenu with the Win8 style Tiles is a good compromise... I'm a Windows Phone user so allot of the language feels familiar.

We have it setup for Multiple Users.... And then some of the multiple users have the multiple desktop... fun stuff.

Key for me was that all devices just worked... It accepted the Asus Win8 driver for the newly purchased wifi adapter. It found my HP Color LaserJet wireless printer right away too. Joined the workgroup with our tablets, laptops and other desktops just fine and sharing between it all is good.

Liked the idea of just logging on each user with their Microsoft accounts and inheriting stuff from those online profiles.
I don't game... so I can't speak to any of that. But everything else seems to work.
I seems fluid... as fast as Windows 7 on my I7-3770K rig @ 4Ghz with 16GB DDR31600 through normal app use....

Ash_01

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Aaand... it's now kernel 10.0. It'll be kernel 10 from Build 9888 which is leaked [and you can use it!]. Google/Bing 'Windows 10' for more info :wink:

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Look at these new File Explorer concept images..... Windows 10 "may" also look like these.......

Softpedia Link

Update:- The concept is outdated. And W10 won't look like that :/

Last edited:

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I just downloaded Windows 10 and yes its nice my only problem is that iTunes does not open so im forced to use xbox music. On xbox music I cant edit the genre, album art, artist etc. like I could and have done in iTunes. Do you guys think Microsoft will fix this in an upcoming update or do you think this is an elaborate plan to force people to stray away from apples ITunes in place with their xbox music?

Lol no it is still in development and many things will not work as they normally do because the drivers and software update for the programs and hardware is not there yet.
Whit iTunes I would understand as they work against it but knowing how Microsoft works it will not happen. when Apple came with iTunes they build in bugs and other things to make the experience bad in Windows so they could flame them and blame Windows for the problems. They hoped that people would go away from Microsoft and come to there more limited and more expensive systems but it never worked. Later they admitted that they did that but it made that I never use iTunes.

Just wait till the final version and most things will be fixed. Better is to wait a few months because than also drivers will be fixed in most cases and even more bugs will be removed.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
The three control buttons at the right-hand top of the open windows look so bad in build 9926! The old Win 8.1 style used to look better at least :(

Also the new Start menu is also not appeasing enough... I have made some registry changes to get back to the old Start Screen.
Also, where are the OneDrive sync settings in the Settings app?

​So, unfinished!!!!!

4ny0n3

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
One thing they haven't solved in the latest builds, including 9926 is being unable to play videos or music in the modern apps if the files are in a drive where Windows is not installed. Has anyone experienced this?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
One thing they haven't solved in the latest builds, including 9926 is being unable to play videos or music in the modern apps if the files are in a drive where Windows is not installed. Has anyone experienced this?

No. I did not experience this problem, at least.

Rahul D1

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
hi i friends
i have upgraded from windows 7 to window 10 technical preview
i have a question that the software i had on windows 7 how do i migrate it to
windows 10 technical preview
such as graphic card software, windows office, and i have may more ....
Thanku..

wardo5757

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
9926 is a mess if you ask me. MS is trying to hard to incorporate the Metro UI somewhere, ditch it and allow us to place live tiles on our desktop and go back to the Start menu of W7. Then either clean up and stream line the Settings, or get rid of Settings an go back to using only the Control Panel. It is truly a discombobulated mess right now and due to its Beta nature, W10 is very unstable on my SP3. If the OS goes out anywhere near it's current UI it will be received with the same hatred that W8 was. This is coming from some one who doesn't think that 8.1.1 is all that bad..

Akash Rajgure

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I have two laptop one runing xp and other win xp 8.but i still found xp better than win xp 8.Windows should try to make windows 10 easier as xp.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to share my impressions and I plan to do so soon, however I just successfully installed the Windows 10 technical preview on a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series 2-in-1 with a Pentium Quad Core processor and 4 GB of RAM. May I say.....THERE HAVE BEEN ELEPHANTS THAT HAVE GESTATED FASTER than it took to load that puppy onto the device. WOW it took literally 8-10 hours. I'm not kidding. Needless to say I am sticking with this preview until the wheels fall off my little 2-in-1 CHEERS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers