What is the future of Windows Phone?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yet many reviews bashed WP for it

some reviews didnt even understand the windows 10 concept at all
they went on to say microsoft got rid of windows and windows phone altogether and brought windows 10 out instead
which isnt true because its an upgrade to the existing systems to merge platforms,not a whole new one written from scratch,making older ones obselete

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
As long as they give is the Facebook app that is on Windows 8.1 I'm happy anything else is extra I would love for the changes menu to come to the phone but I'm hearing rumors they are getting rid of that. Maybe give us multiple desktops on the one as well? Out will be interesting for sure

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
As long as they give is the Facebook app that is on Windows 8.1 I'm happy anything else is extra I would love for the changes menu to come to the phone but I'm hearing rumors they are getting rid of that. Maybe give us multiple desktops on the one as well? Out will be interesting for sure

This is the single most thing I'm hoping for the most with Windows 10. A decent Facebook app on WP! It's a sad state of affairs when your only chance of a decent version of the worlds most popular app is to wait for an entire new version of Windows.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been complaining for ages about how the limited light/dark themes on windows phone gets boring very quickly.
I just REALLY hope they give the option to insert a photo OR a windows 8.1 style theme behind the tiles and also NOT take away the current transparent wallpaper feature, i know that its unlikely MS would take that feature away but you know MS sometimes just takes really good random things off their OS for no good reason.
If MS includes a live theme behind the tiles like how you get in desktop windows, that would look insane, also third party apps should be able to support more themes. Just some of my thoughts.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that transparent tiles over background images was a bad idea? How about live folders? Are you one of those "I don't need a notification center" homers as well? The UI on Windows Phone 8.1 far surpasses 8.0, and imho, is light years better than anything found on any other OS. Have you tried the HTC One M8? I have the Lumia Icon, and can say, I am super jealous of on-screen navigation buttons, and the fact that they can be hidden. Hopefully Windows 10 will allow the background of the on-screen navigation to be transparent as well instead of black.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

One of the first concepts that I actually like... and I like it quite a bit. Not a huge fan of the tiles going edge to edge though. Usability is going to plummet since bezels are currently shrinking. I accidentally tap with my palm occasionally on my 1520 as it is. Plus, looking at Microsoft's UI choices, they always have a margin on the edge of everything so I can bet that much won't change.

I especially like the frosted glass effect similar from the Win7 days while the tiles still can be transparent. Really gives it a glass window effect... which would totally make sense. No app names on any of them? or was that just an oversight?

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
This looks great! It fits in the transparent tiles, and a Start theme like Windows 8.1. I hope this carries over into the real deal. It would be nice to have most of the Start Screen customization features of full Windows 8.

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

I love this concept it is the most plausible and realistic projection of what the OS could look like. Though I would have like to seen a version of it without the frosted transparency but more of a gradient tint (the frost clashes a bit and makes it confusing), or just a darker tint over the background. Obviously as per concept tradition the side margins are left out, but its more practical to have ide margins.

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Currently on Windows 8 and Window 10 the transparency throughout the system is a tint, rather than frosted glass. We don't want to get a lawsuit from Apple for infringing their patents on frosted glass effect. lol

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
While I understand/agree with your message in the post, I do have to point out two things.

Silverlight is only available to protect existing coding investments. Most devs don't foresee any further advancements and new efforts should be WinRT. Running existing Silverlight apps is easy enough to do on Win10 but don't expect too many additions to its APIs.

Also yes, there is a lot of overlap of code between Windows and WP but not as much as you think. The 80% figure is for public APIs like you mentioned but they're implemented differently between the two platforms underneath. The OSes are actually still quite different while exposing similar APIs for devs' convenience. Not hugely different but not as closely converged like the public APIs are.

With Win10, this will no longer be the case.

One of My biggest concerns about Windows 10 was about the continuity from Windows Phone 8.1 for developers, ergo the public APIs, Microsoft really has to tread lightly when it comes to its developers (you don't want to upset them / give them more work). Under the surface, I don't really mind what Microsoft does with the operating system code itself, so long as there are less bottleneck in the operation of the OS, and performance fluctuations. Long story short as you stated, so long as Microsoft protect the investments into the code of Windows Phone 8.1 I'm happy to have Windows 10.
I'm a bit anxious right now because of the hint towards replacing Windows Phone, and being left in limbo to wonder about what is going to happed next for existing Windows Phones.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
One of My biggest concerns about Windows 10 was about the continuity from Windows Phone 8.1 for developers, ergo the public APIs, Microsoft really has to tread lightly when it comes to its developers (you don't want to upset them / give them more work). Under the surface, I don't really mind what Microsoft does with the operating system code itself, so long as there are less bottleneck in the operation of the OS, and performance fluctuations. Long story short as you stated, so long as Microsoft protect the investments into the code of Windows Phone 8.1 I'm happy to have Windows 10.

I'm a bit anxious right now because of the hint towards replacing Windows Phone, and being left in limbo to wonder about what is going to happed next for existing Windows Phones.

Yeah agreed. My prediction is they're going to advance WinRT for devs in terms of capabilities (that's expected), enable Silverlight apps to run on Win10 on small screens (easy) but little to no additions in capabilities, maintain WinRT for phone for WP8.1 app devs and be in the same situation like Silverlight app is now, extend WinRT in Windows 10 to run the same api+implementation on phone and PCs, but still keep universal app structure for separate UI for various screen sizes.

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
If we learn or find interesting stuff about Windows 10 for Phone, we could post it hear. I really like the content people are posting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikazkhan