What is the future of Windows Phone?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I thought that it would be amazing if MS keep on updating the current WP. That's all.

And that is exactly what MS is doing!

This issue has been completely misunderstood by the tech press, including many here at WPC. Expectedly, many of the responses in this thread are based on the false assumption, that what was shown at the W10 announcement, is what will end up on our windows phones. This is utterly wrong.

Llordy has already said it, but it deserves repeating because it's so vital to understanding what is actually going on:

W10 will NOT be coming down to phones. MS is porting parts of Windows RT over to Windows Phone, as to allow the next version of Windows Phone to take over RT's role as a tablet OS. This phone/tablet OS will be leaner and faster than RT ever was, but it will not be the same OS we get on desktops/laptops/convertibles.

Calling an OS used on tablets "Windows Phone" obviously won't work too well, so a new name was required. Why give it the same name as it's desktop/laptop counterpart when it's not the same thing? I don't know, but I'm starting to see how it could make sense (still not sure I like it but that's a different topic). After all, there are a lot of components that all versions of Windows will share:

• all will use same WinRT API. WinPRT will be no more.
  • all will use the exact same WinRT runtime environment.
  • all Windows devices will have access to the same Windows Store. W10 apps will run on phones, tablets and the desktop, if the developer so desires. Just as on iOS, developers can enable apps to reconfigure their UI based on available screen real-estate.
  • maybe most importantly, most of Microsoft's standard apps (food & drink, data sense, battery sense, cortana, etc, etc, etc) will be available on all versions of Windows. Many of them will likely be universal apps themselves. I believe that to many (if not most), this is what will make these two distinct OSes feel like they are one and the same thing, despite that being technically incorrect.
What the tablet/phone version of W10 won't have is the desktop, and everything we associate with it. That's a big difference, as that comprises well over 90% of what we currently call Windows.

So, what do I make of this thread asking how good/terrible W10 on phones will be? Not much, because WP devices aren't getting the version of W10 that we're experimenting with today. We'll actually "just" be getting the next version WP. It just won't be called WP.

elwin lobo

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
well it does look like google is determined to isolate windows users...
read this article that they found code for Google Copresence that is something similar to Apple Airdrop but this will permit iOS and Android devices to communicate...

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
If they could just implement Miracast receive into W10 or Xbox, that would be all I need.
Like the Project My Screen feature, only without the need to be tethered to usb. If I could control my phone from my pc/Surface or easily project to XB1 from my Surface, that would be pretty awesome.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I would love if they made it so Xbox 360 or Xbox one controllers could sync to the phone for playing games. As long as it was built into the system so compatibility with the games could be universal. That would be awesome.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
What is the future of Windows Phone?

...One OS to Rule Them all...
View attachment 83609

This is perhaps one of most asked questions since the announcement of Windows 10.

Could the user experience on large screened phones be more like a tablet?

View attachment 82993

It seems that Windows Fans have something great/terrible to look forward to in 2015. What sort of features will be retained by the OS?; what experience and apps will the OS adopt?; will all current Windows Phone 8.1 devices receive this OS update?
These are the questions whirring about the Windows world. What are your thought about Windows 10?
  • The OS to replace all others?
  • The 'one' to rule?
  • What will the performance and execution of the experience on all these ranges of devices be like?
  • Will it lag?

Thanks to a little hint from Microsoft we get a glimpse of what the future of Windows Phone/Tablet may be.
***View attachment 83010***

Be sure to leave a comment, with any ideas, thoughts, questions and problems about Windows 10.

What are your thought about Windows 10?

Hmmm. Windows 10 is a breakthrough. Something the world has never seen before. That alone I think is the only break that MSFT needed to move forward all by itself in the mobile market.

Windows 10 will be very interesting.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Upcoming Snapdragon 810 will be 64 bit SoC! First of it kind for Windows and Android. I hope Windows skips the 810 and goes directly to the 811!

The A7 was the first 64 bit for Apple. So, both will eventually be 64 bit processing. Windows has 64 bit on the desktop already and Android 5.0 - Lollipop is now 64 bit too! So it will be very interesting to see how things pan out in a year or two. Who will be the first to have true 64 bit processing on a smartphone. My bet is Apple! Apple will do it with their A10 SoC and 4GB of RAM and their new iOS 11! Microsoft has to test everything since it cross platform and is usually a good 12 month to 18 month behind in the use of the latest SoC out in the marketplace. Windows phone just have some sort of problem incorporating SoC technology into their Windows Phone platform. Android will be second but could come out and be first!

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
If they could just implement Miracast receive into W10 or Xbox, that would be all I need.
Like the Project My Screen feature, only without the need to be tethered to usb. If I could control my phone from my pc/Surface or easily project to XB1 from my Surface, that would be pretty awesome.

You might want to check out the capabilities which Windows 8 already has in that case with the devices.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1b0yBJHLM#t=351

CrescentBunny

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I hope in all things great and holy that Windows 10 Update is something I won't regret and something others won't regret.I have known Windows for a long time, longer than anything for the past years now.I've known Android and IOS as well.But i picked Windows because it was something not much people that i knew had, and for me to think that Windows can't improve it can, I for one hope they do somethings with Windows Phone cause honestly Its needed.

guna17

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Though Microsoft promised unified interface across devices, I really afraid whether it will live up to the promise. Its early to say but it seems from the internet searches that few aspects will remain "mobile" and "not PC", for example, the file explorer in Desktop and Mobile version look different now (even the functionality like file hide options). Why should there be such a difference? Just making PC apps run in Phone how I will be assured the same OS running on both? As a user, I expect more options and less restrictions (for example,I can share an audio file which i received from another whatsapp user but I am restricted to share an audio file which i downloaded from internet myself). This is just one example and there are some more areas where Windows Phone restricts its users whereas Andriod does not.
Previously on Windows Phone 8.1 notification was introduced but again it did not live up to the hype created. For example, I am restricted to add only few toggles on the notification screen like mobile data toggle cannot be added
Dear Microsoft, please take out these kind of restrictions in Windows 10 for phones and make it really PC-like or at least near to it
When you call the OS as unified, we as users will expect it to be really unified. (I accept few options are only relevant to PCs and few only for phones like call options). So a file explorer on a Desktop and on a Phone needs to be the same for instance.

After so many evolution of Windows on Phones, it still lags behind Android and iOS and take only 3% of market share. Windows 10 have created lot of expectations with the users due the hype created by Microsoft.
Please make a REALLY UNIFIED OS on Phones too, as this will be my (and most other windows users too) last wait to see Windows as a better OS than Android. If it fails this time, we users will no more trust promises from the OS developer
We would love to see the OS outperform Android and iOS. Keeping fingers crossed for the last time for Windows

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Though Microsoft promised unified interface across devices, I really afraid whether it will live up to the promise. Its early to say but it seems from the internet searches that few aspects will remain "mobile" and "not PC", for example, the file explorer in Desktop and Mobile version look different now (even the functionality like file hide options). Why should there be such a difference? Just making PC apps run in Phone how I will be assured the same OS running on both? As a user, I expect more options and less restrictions (for example,I can share an audio file which i received from another whatsapp user but I am restricted to share an audio file which i downloaded from internet myself). This is just one example and there are some more areas where Windows Phone restricts its users whereas Andriod does not.
Previously on Windows Phone 8.1 notification was introduced but again it did not live up to the hype created. For example, I am restricted to add only few toggles on the notification screen like mobile data toggle cannot be added
Dear Microsoft, please take out these kind of restrictions in Windows 10 for phones and make it really PC-like or at least near to it
When you call the OS as unified, we as users will expect it to be really unified. (I accept few options are only relevant to PCs and few only for phones like call options). So a file explorer on a Desktop and on a Phone needs to be the same for instance.

After so many evolution of Windows on Phones, it still lags behind Android and iOS and take only 3% of market share. Windows 10 have created lot of expectations with the users due the hype created by Microsoft.
Please make a REALLY UNIFIED OS on Phones too, as this will be my (and most other windows users too) last wait to see Windows as a better OS than Android. If it fails this time, we users will no more trust promises from the OS developer
We would love to see the OS outperform Android and iOS. Keeping fingers crossed for the last time for Windows

Unified is what they're trying hard todo
But why do people keep thinking it's going to be like a Pocket PC???
WAKE UP PEOPLE, IT WONT BE LIKE THAT
It's not going to have Desktop or in any way be extremely like the PC in every way imaginable
It's just not efficient for a mobile device
Having File Explorer exactly like it is on the PC would just be terrible for phones IMO
There are some recent screenshots of a win10 file manager app, not a huge fan of it but way more efficient overall.

Ronnet

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see a concept I made a year ago being used for this article. But yeah unfortunately Windows 10 for phones didnt turn out that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon