What is the future of Windows Phone?

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
What is the future of Windows Phone?

...One OS to Rule Them all...
#1_Windowsphone9.jpg

This is perhaps one of most asked questions since the announcement of Windows 10.

Could the user experience on large screened phones be more like a tablet?

8_Start_8_1.jpg

It seems that Windows Fans have something great/terrible to look forward to in 2015. What sort of features will be retained by the OS?; what experience and apps will the OS adopt?; will all current Windows Phone 8.1 devices receive this OS update?
These are the questions whirring about the Windows world. What are your thought about Windows 10?
  • The OS to replace all others?
  • The 'one' to rule?
  • What will the performance and execution of the experience on all these ranges of devices be like?
  • Will it lag?

Thanks to a little hint from Microsoft we get a glimpse of what the future of Windows Phone/Tablet may be.
***image112.png***

Be sure to leave a comment, with any ideas, thoughts, questions and problems about Windows 10.

Last edited:

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
image112.png

This cropped pic was posted by WMPU - gives a little more insight into where they want to take the mobile UI. Note the Windows Phone style control buttons (back, home, search) on the tablet...

Interesting, certainly, but it's the universal apps that I want to hear more about.

thrash994

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I like the way WP it is now but I'd like to see a bunch of new features. Unfortunately, this will never happen. Honestly I don't like Windows 10 UI (as shown on the picture in 1st post) for phones.

And what about live folders? I find this feature pretty neat and useful. I want that to be included in Windows 10.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I like the way WP it is now but I'd like to see a bunch of new features. Unfortunately, this will never happen. Honestly I don't like Windows 10 UI (as shown on the picture in 1st post) for phones.

And what about live folders? I find this feature pretty neat and useful. I want that to be included in Windows 10.
Considering the response to live folders, and how some users are still asking for it as of the Windows 8.1 Update, and the fact that the Start Screen is going to shrink...

...I'd say that Live Folders are a fantastic idea that has a high chance of implementation. (Otherwise, syncing Start Screens would break the WP Start screen.)

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I, for one much prefer WP's flavor of the Modern UI over Windows 8/8.1's take of it. The differences between them also extends far beyond color palettes as well. The phone team behind the original WP OS (7.0) seemed to be more devoted to the synergy of usability as well as beauty. Panoramas were gorgeous, pivots were delightful, the attention to detail in layout and animations were astounding. Windows 8, hubs (equivalent of hubs) are horizontal scrolling of sections. There's no parallax effect between the title and the content and there's no wrap around at the end. Pivots don't even exist in Windows 8 so I can't compare. Animations are worlds better on the phone. They are quicker and have more personality. Even the animation for when you press on an item is better. Tap on a tile on Windows and only one of four things will happen: tilt left, right, up or down. In WP, doing the same tilts it as if your finger has a weight and reacts to the specific point your finger touches the screen. Tap closer to the edge, the more it tilts; not true with Windows. I also think allowing color tiles on top of custom backgrounds was a mistake. It's just too busy and inelegant.

The phone team seemed to understand usability better too. Hardware back button: check (no looking for back button or have it out of reach like on iPhone's top left corner). Primary touch UI: at the bottom as the AppBar (less reaching to the top). Logical UI: no hidden important UI elements (AppBar always present or a small bit is visible as opposed to always hidden Windows 8 Appbar). I could go on but I hope the minds behind some of the phone's great UX choices will have a say as final release draw closer of Windows 10.

KevinTheLinja

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I, for one much prefer WP's flavor of the Modern UI over Windows 8/8.1's take of it. The differences between them also extends far beyond color palettes as well. The phone team behind the original WP OS (7.0) seemed to be more devoted to the synergy of usability as well as beauty. Panoramas were gorgeous, pivots were delightful, the attention to detail in layout and animations were astounding. Windows 8, hubs (equivalent of hubs) are horizontal scrolling of sections. There's no parallax effect between the title and the content and there's no wrap around at the end. Pivots don't even exist in Windows 8 so I can't compare. Animations are worlds better on the phone. They are quicker and have more personality. Even the animation for when you press on an item is better. Tap on a tile on Windows and only one of four things will happen: tilt left, right, up or down. In WP, doing the same tilts it as if your finger has a weight and reacts to the specific point your finger touches the screen. Tap closer to the edge, the more it tilts; not true with Windows. I also think allowing color tiles on top of custom backgrounds was a mistake. It's just too busy and inelegant.

The phone team seemed to understand usability better too. Hardware back button: check (no looking for back button or have it out of reach like on iPhone's top left corner). Primary touch UI: at the bottom as the AppBar (less reaching to the top). Logical UI: no hidden important UI elements (AppBar always present or a small bit is visible as opposed to always hidden Windows 8 Appbar). I could go on but I hope the minds behind some of the phone's great UX choices will have a say as final release draw closer of Windows 10.

Yes. This comment embodies my exact sentiments. Even with every new release of Windows Phone, I felt the OS moving away from its core design roots of perfectly blending form and function. Hopefully those original "Metro" designers have some good input on Windows 10.

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 82995

This cropped pic was posted by WMPU - gives a little more insight into where they want to take the mobile UI. Note the Windows Phone style control buttons (back, home, search) on the tablet...

Interesting, certainly, but it's the universal apps that I want to hear more about.

Notice how the phone doesn't have a background, only more theme color. (Save for the tiny "header" above the yellow tiles.) I am hopeful that they keep the black/white in between the tiles, however the edge-to-edge UI on the phone seems like an excellent use of space.

The smaller tablet uses the same background as on the larger tablet, albeit it is hard to tell with nothing but a gradiant as the background image. At least the theme color still plays a role...

In any case, Microsoft hasn't hit me once with a design language that I don't ultimately love. I am confident that Windows 10 is going to be incredible.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I love how people can see the future.

Even when each developer preview, even the minors (8.1->8.1.1) are adding features, the people keep so negative.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The phone team behind the original WP OS (7.0) seemed to be more devoted to the synergy of usability as well as beauty. Panoramas were gorgeous, pivots were delightful, the attention to detail in layout and animations were astounding. Windows 8, hubs (equivalent of hubs) are horizontal scrolling of sections. There's no parallax effect between the title and the content and there's no wrap around at the end. Pivots don't even exist in Windows 8 so I can't compare.
Moreover, the panels in WP panos and pivots scroll vertically while Win8 apps don't do this. This is a dumb thing to have dropped just because the Win8 screen is likely larger.

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

I am very sceptical about this whole shift of windows Phone. I can only hope that my fears, and question can be answered, likes others, in the coming months. This whole experience feels eerily like what Microsoft has done in the past: they dumped Windows Mobile 6.5 to make Windows Phone 7, then dumped Windows Phone 7, to push windows Phone 8, I'm sorry, but if they keep fluctuating so much in the future, with designs, and OS operations, then They are going to say good by to the faithful Smartphone/mobile community.

Llordy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 82995

The UI on the phone seems to retain the live folder support, so it can either be a unique offering on the phone or it with be carried over to all versions.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Moreover, the panels in WP panos and pivots scroll vertically while Win8 apps don't do this. This is a dumb thing to have dropped just because the Win8 screen is likely larger.

Actually it's very possible to have it scroll vertically in Windows 8 hubs. It's just the shipped templates for designing apps don't so most dev don't do it

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I also will add that I'm a little bit more optimistic after seeing continuum though. In tablet mode, a virtual back button is adding and Tom Warren claims the win 10 search button invokes Cortana. This is good indication that at least some WP influences will be present. Also hoping belfiore will guide it in the right directions.

NarcisoSNeto

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
That looks amazing and seems the "thing that I was looking for", as I like to have same ecosystem between phone+tablet+desktop.
Now I have a Windows Phone, an Android Tablet and an iMac as desktop, such thing is the ideal thing that makes me want to have an Windows Phone, Tablet and desktop.

Also UI looks better, refined... Space between tiles are really better than actual. Hope to see this UI changes to really happen! :D

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Bad idea, Windows 8 Store apps will have problems with the WP UI, and WP apps aren't designed for big screens.

Microsoft is introducing so many changes without any improvement.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Bad idea, Windows 8 Store apps will have problems with the WP UI, and WP apps aren't designed for big screens.

I believe that is only if the app is a universal app, so it is up to the developer. There are many apps still look great scaled up, maybe you will notice only if you have a 2k monitor.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If in someway they can replicate my desktop modern UI side of the start menu to my phone. WOW

And every time I change the layout on my phone I see it automatically sync with my desktop start menu. i already have tears in my eyes.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

this is why people should read articles fully before posting
universal apps doesnt mean that,it means itll be easier for devs to port apps across windows 10(phone,tablet ,pc etc)
the designs etc will change,you cannot honestly expect an app designed for a pc with a keyboard and mouse to be ported to a phone without changes in design

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)