Windows 10 a disapointment, hybrids and tablets are dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdholland79

May 14, 2013
Visit site
No its not its brilliant you see windows 8.1 while it was a disappointment it still has a bigger market share then does windows phone and with the changes they made they stand a good chance of getting alot of people that used windows 7 back with windows 10 now they merge all into one os that mean and instant boost in market share as a whole and since there is only one store and one OS windows ten there market share will grow alot literally overnight and even if you use the argument that on table and phone you cant use legacy apps and on windows ten for the desktop you can so more people on desktop will be using legacy apps then metro apps dont matter cuz all the developers are going to see is the numbers or market share and that's good cuz we will get alot more developers to support windows 10 as it will have bigger market share hell even google is going to have a hard time saying we dont have enogh market share for them to put there apps on MS products so in the end its a win win MS just made the WP market share go up alot oh and by the way chrome sucks a browser anit no os no matter what google says

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Also.... remember this wasn't a general audience unveiling, it was targeted specifically at Enterprise IT Shops that have XP and Windows 7, this was targeted at those who are not using new form factors...

The Consumer Preview will give us a better picture of Windows 10 on Consumer Devices, Phones and Tablets....

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I believe the statement that this TP is late in the development cycle and won't be changed much is incorrect. There were specific things stated in the presentation today about continuum and Belfiore stated it was the way it is now but they are trying a few different directions. This is not your father's Release Candidate. This TP is being released to testers much earlier in the dev cycle than previous versions of Windows. Because corporate IT needs it this way.

Lots can change, and will. Download it, install it and send MS your opinions.

jdholland79

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Not really of you been reading the new MS has came up with a way to fix problems and add or remove features on the fly in a week not a month this is probably the last windows from now on it will just keep getting tweaks and features and if there are bugs or a feature that needs it can be fixed in like a week and with there new back end they can see any problems in almost real time so say IE is messing up MS will see it and within days as soon as the code is ready for the fix it will be delivered to the effective product so this ain't like previous windows they still got alot to show us at build and it will constantly evolve from there and now MS can better give there user what they want and fix what they dont like not just untill it is released but for the entire lifetime of the product witch is now forever

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Um, we've known for months that WP is going to replace RT for tablets. I don't see how you didn't see it coming.

And yes, we've got literally almost a year before the official release. They can make some medium-sized changes in that time, so if there's some things that you don't like in Continuum, you can leave your feedback.

Actually its opposite, RT is gonna replace WP

The preview showed today is the OS for: PCs, hybrids like the Surface Pro and the Asus T100, and big tablets that offer compatibility with x86 apps like the Toshiba encore 2 (10-inch) and the Hp Omni 10.

Sadly, this version is mostly a desktop OS optimized for mouse and keyboard. The touch UI is an horrible mess, an afterthought.
I understand they want to secure the PC market, but to make happy the Windows 7 users they dismantled the touch aspect of the OS. Maybe a bit of geniality could had prevented the fatidic outcome, but no, they couldn't solved it, this is just Windows 7 with live tiles, and a ridiculous "continuum" UI unfit for touch devices.
Of course tech bloggers are praising Windows 10 because they only see it as a desktop OS, but with the focus in the touch interface I only see mediocrity and failure.

They'll show the ARM version in early 2015, here a glimpse:

First tablet running Windows Phone pictured

Just a scaled up WP.

The major design decisions can be changed in so little time, It took a couple of years to develop what they showed today.

For starters, major design decisions CAN change in little time, in fact, visuals are literally the LAST thing they do before going into feature freeze, also, there are many different branches of development for windows, and one of those branches are UX, which is what handles the design of things, and guess what doesn't merge with the winmain branch until feature freeze? the ux branch.

Also, WTF you talking about feature freeze? There is sooooo much time before feature freeze happens, this is a TECHNICAL preview, this is probably about alpha state, if that, I dont know where you pulling this "knowledge" from but its incredibly inaccurate, i gurantee you, by the time this is released it will look incredibly different!

Oh, and quit whining about **** you don't understand, makes you look like an *****.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

No it's not. For one, the presentation they showed today clearly showed a scaled up WP OS and two it makes no sense to scale down because scaling up takes a lot less effort for the same results. I'd suggest you fact check.

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Not really of you been reading the new MS has came up with a way to fix problems and add or remove features on the fly in a week not a month this is probably the last windows from now on it will just keep getting tweaks and features and if there are bugs or a feature that needs it can be fixed in like a week and with there new back end they can see any problems in almost real time so say IE is messing up MS will see it and within days as soon as the code is ready for the fix it will be delivered to the effective product so this ain't like previous windows they still got alot to show us at build and it will constantly evolve from there and now MS can better give there user what they want and fix what they dont like not just untill it is released but for the entire lifetime of the product witch is now forever

Not sure if you were responding to me, but I actually agree with what you are saying. This could be considered the "last" Windows ;) Updates will come on a regular basis including features, defect fixes and security updates. Just like Office 365 today. They haven't exactly stated this as far as I can see but I think it's between the lines.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
how does that look anything like WP to you? that looks way more like RT, and tell me then, why would they abandon RT (runs on arm) and keep WP8 (runs on arm) when RT is much more feature complete?

If they are abandoning winrt, then tell me how a winrt technical preview is set for 2015? oh and jsut because it has a vertical option, doesnt mean it cant go horizontal too.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
how does that look anything like WP to you? that looks way more like RT, and tell me then, why would they abandon RT (runs on arm) and keep WP8 (runs on arm) when RT is much more feature complete?

If they are abandoning winrt, then tell me how a winrt technical preview is set for 2015? oh and jsut because it has a vertical option, doesnt mean it cant go horizontal too.

1) how does that not look like a scaled up WP? It looks nothing like RT.
2) because, as I said before, it is much easier and much more obvious to scale up an OS with more features than it is to scale down Windows RT for phones. Any knowledge of programming would tell you that.
3) No, the technical preview is NOT for RT, it is for Windows on ARM, which includes phones and tablets.

I don't even understand your last point.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Seriously guy this is a effin preview and you do not know what all of the settings will be. I don't like it either but ill make my final judgment when thru release the final product.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

For starters, major design decisions CAN change in little time, in fact, visuals are literally the LAST thing they do before going into feature freeze, also, there are many different branches of development for windows, and one of those branches are UX, which is what handles the design of things, and guess what doesn't merge with the winmain branch until feature freeze? the ux branch.

Also, WTF you talking about feature freeze? There is sooooo much time before feature freeze happens, this is a TECHNICAL preview, this is probably about alpha state, if that, I dont know where you pulling this "knowledge" from but its incredibly inaccurate, i gurantee you, by the time this is released it will look incredibly different!

Oh, and quit whining about **** you don't understand, makes you look like an *****.

I guess you're a developer. With design I refer to the whole interaction model of the product, not only the colors and the icons. The already took design decision that can't be changed. Many of the touch interactions that were introduced in Windows 8 are gone and the OS is mouse and keyboard centric even for hybrids and x86 tablets.

They have to release a public beta at build, and after that they have 4-5 months to RTM and release the first OEMs products. To release the public beta at build they have to be feature complete 1 or 2 months before that to run an internal beta, that's February-March.
So, they only have between October and February to gather feedback and introduce minor changes.

It took them a couple of year to add tiles to Windows 7 and decide the name "Windows 10", you shouldn't expect big changes in the next 5-6 months, they can't take big risks so late.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With Windows 8 they ... privileged the touch interactions.

I absolutely hate reading ill-informed comments like this. Windows 8/8.1 works equally well with keyboard and mouse as it does with touch. Microsoft just failed to tell people of that, and too many people didn't take the time to find out.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
1) how does that not look like a scaled up WP? It looks nothing like RT.
2) because, as I said before, it is much easier and much more obvious to scale up an OS with more features than it is to scale down Windows RT for phones. Any knowledge of programming would tell you that.
3) No, the technical preview is NOT for RT, it is for Windows on ARM, which includes phones and tablets.

I don't even understand your last point.

its as if no one reads wpc articles anymore, even wpc thinks rt could replace wp

Here is everything we know about Windows 9 'Threshold' so far | Windows Phone Central

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one laughing when people here act as though a preview based on the enterprise should have had Metro 2.0 and touch?

Those are just two things enterprise never used much of, but apparently they should have shown it off anyway.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Um, we've known for months that WP is going to replace RT for tablets. I don't see how you didn't see it coming.

And yes, we've got literally almost a year before the official release. They can make some medium-sized changes in that time, so if there's some things that you don't like in Continuum, you can leave your feedback.

I heard about that, but I thought Microsoft would adapt the OS for bigger screens and add some of the Windows 8 features to provide a consistent UI for ARM and x86 touch devices.

I'll wait until the preview of the ARM OS to get a more complete picture, but from what they showed today, I don't believe Windows 10 will be enough to revert the 2% of market share in tablets and phones. Windows Phone for 8-inch devices and lower, and 'Windows 7 with live tiles' for x86 tablets and convertibles. I was expecting more from MS.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
its as if no one reads wpc articles anymore, even wpc thinks rt could replace wp

Here is everything we know about Windows 9 'Threshold' so far | Windows Phone Central

1) that is baseless speculation that John made up on his own, citing no source.
2) I got my info from Mary Jo Foley who, no offense to John, I trust to be more accurate than John.

http://www.zdnet.com/what-comes-next-after-windows-8-1-7000022034/

Here's the important quote

"Because it tends to be easier to take a "smaller" OS and add to it than to take a larger one and remove features from it, it's likely that the Windows Phone OS is the one on top of which the new operating systems group will build. The recent rumor (courtesy of Windows SuperSite's Paul Thurrott) about the Windows Phone OS being modified to support 7 to 10-inch screen sizes makes sense in this context."

There, are you done now?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I heard about that, but I thought Microsoft would adapt the OS for bigger screens and add some of the Windows 8 features to provide a consistent UI for ARM and x86 touch devices.

I'll wait until the preview of the ARM OS to get a more complete picture, but from what they showed today, I don't believe Windows 10 will be enough to revert the 2% of market share in tablets and phones. Windows Phone for 8-inch devices and lower, and 'Windows 7 with live tiles' for x86 tablets and convertibles. I was expecting more from MS.

Again, I think you're overreacting to this. You haven't even used Windows 10, let alone even seen it in use outside of a 30 minute brief walkthrough. This is a very early release. Based on your reactions on this, I really think you shouldn't download it. It sounds like you're not understanding what this release is and are expecting the wrong thing and you're going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb