Windows 10 Tech Preview - Issues and Complaints

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Please describe the problems with Tablet Mode from your point of view. As I don't have a device to try it myself I would really appreciate your opinion.

In general terms the over all feel is this is Win 7 on a touch device.

Taskbars, Scroll bars, Tab bars and other Desktop GUI elements do not need to be present at all times in Tablet mode. Tablets will ALWAYS have smaller screens all these Desktop elements always on and piled onto the screen take up WAY to much real estate and make it much more difficult to use and enjoy content.

Where is a Full screen web browser? Metro IE is gone and Spartan does not have a full screen touch mode. Again Web Browsing in win 10 has at least 20% of the screen being taken up by Taskbars, Address bars, Tab bars, Scroll bars

Swipe to get to the task view is a much less efficient way to scrolls through open apps as opposed to just swiping through all your open apps like in Win 8.

The Notification center needs power/restart, display brightness, time, volume control etc. They removed the charm bars and thought having an always on taskbar would replace it but then they don't realize how horrible that taskbar is for touch screens especially on smaller devices. Truly a domino effect of stupidity here. Move this stuff to the notification center and you don't need the always on Taskbar anymore.

The Expanded start menu is a very POOR replacement for the Metro Start screen. The all apps section to the left is a PITA using touch and is much less efficient than the ALL Apps screen in Win 8. Tiles can't be as well organized and up and down scrolling of tiles is not nearly as fluid as the left and right scrolling in Win 8. Also the Start menu does not work nearly as well with active Live tiles. We should be given a toggle in the Tablet mode settings to use the old Metro Start screen instead.

Win 10 has a "Desktop" AND "Tablet" mode their is simply no reason why each mode cannot be setup to work as efficiently as possible for the type of device you are on.

Desktop mode should closely resemble what we have now in Win 10 and toggling to Tablet mode should auto arranged things to work more like Win 8. It is pretty simple how they need to fix this but they do not have enough time.

Like I said to sum it all up MS threw away everything that worked well on Tablets in Win 8 and just decided to tweak Win 7 for touch devices.

vlacocabios

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
hello all!!!! Installed build 10061, and most things are working fine except.... no Spartan!!! There is a tile for the app named @[Microsoft windows Spartan], and that's it basically... I click on it but nothing happens... IE11 is working perfectly.

knight820

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I installed 10061 on my surface pro 3, but the store beta opened and closed immediately, I cannot update store into the blue one, it still stuck on grey.
So now I cannot install/update apps from store beta, any possible solution?

TASWinFan

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have an different send and receive email linked to their outlook.com email?? I ask because the mail and calendar apps on the desktop show the linked account... instead of my actual outlook.com account. For example my outlook is anon@outlook.com, (which is what it should show) but outlook mail +calendar apps show anonymous@gmail.com, but calls it my outlook account and the server is the same as my outlook.com server?? But when I send an email it goes through the linked anonymous@gmail.com account instead of my primary outlook account.
Sorry if that doesn't make sense but it is frustrating.. looking for help

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey can anyone tell me whether navigation is working in windows mobile 10 tech preview latest update.Am not getting any voice for guidance.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I haven't gotta my 2nd update to WP10:TP. My phone (L830) has been acting up today. I can't download any apps (error code 80080204), my images in my camera keep getting corrupted. I'm tempted to downgrade back to 8.1 but I'm worried my phone might be bricked. HELP!!!

buckyintx

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I am on build 10130. I keep losing the ability to use Internet Explorer 11. At some point in time the icon no longer works. I am forced to uninstall it though turn windows features on and off, restart my desktop, then turn it back on and do a restart.
I have had to do it 5 times, the most recent about 5 minutes ago.

Mo1712

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
There's a problem with the flash shockwave for the Microsoft Edge browser. Any time I try to stream any tv shows online using the fullscreen mode, black lines are constantly appearing. Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing this issue? Also, there's a weird glitch with the Volume control. I plug my headphones in, but when trying to play media, the speakers also play.
It goes haywire from time to time and i don't know how to fix it.

Robert Murcott

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Downloaded 10 when it was made available , download process was fine usual restarts required. Start up login fine , like the new layout easy to use, but Firefox had been disabled and replaced. Lap top is a Toshiba Satellite 755D and the Toshiba apps had been disabled including the web cam wireless LAN and other system apps.
I could only connect to the net by connecting in an ethernet cable direct to my router form the lap top.
Went into network setting to detect problems screen message came up No wireless network detected.
So went back and restored 7 and all is fine again. I wonder has Microsoft made a "one size fits all" system that does not allow for the fact that there are many individually branded machines that use Windows system and they might tailor it to fit their individual apps.
I also have an OS X desktop and the last two system upgrades have downloaded perfectly and worked with no issues.

I won't download to my other lap top to save the hassle, and will wait until I have to replace the lap top to get a pre installed system by the manufacturer.

DarrenEWilson

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a problem with hyperlinks, I think. They're all appearing bright yellow on my computer with pop-ups of all kinds and system text. It may be more than hyperlinks, but I'm not sure. This problem occurred a while back when I updated Windows 8, but it didn't show up again. For some reason, I thought I had to upgrade to evade my suffering at the hands of Windows 8, but now Windows 10 is being difficult, at least just with this issue, for now.

tgp272

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Touchscreen on Dell Inspiron5 does not work at all when you use any browser. Will work on main screens or to enter apps but not after. I have tried to re-calibrate, check to ensure drivers are up to date and the computer continues to say everything is fine. I just got my laptop 3 months ago and so sorry I upgraded to crap. Upgrades that removed a function that was a major consideration when I purchased it. I will be calling Dell tomorrow to see if there is a way to take it back to 8.1, seriously upset that this upgrade DOWNGRADED my system. Note: my computer screen is clean!! What kind of answer is that anyway?

Rex Owens

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Since upgrading to W10, my Toshiba Satellite C675-S7200 has slowed down considerably. I regret making the change from W7. If I used my notebook more, the aggravation would be unbearable. Thank goodness for mobile technology.

Aclark

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
the upgrade did something to my graphics card too. I cant play Minecraft any longer but i can play some others game. When we try to uninstall and reinstall the graphics card it fails every time. It also stops reading the right click on the mouse we we go to watch a movie.

Graham Hood

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded a free copy of Windows 10 as I was using Windows 7 Home Premium.
I got a message toward the end saying *It's taking a bit longer than anticipated, please be patient*
45 minutes later it finally finished the installation.
When the startup screen finally appeared the icons on the task bar wouldn't stop flashing.
When I hit the start button the options appeared but nothing happened when I clicked the control panel button.
Then the menu disappeared and ended up in an endless loop of appearing and disappearing.
After exhausting every option and not being able to find a solution I took the Computer to PC World.
After a technician took a look at he he advised me it couldn't be rolled back and the only option was to reinstall Windows 7 Premium.
I had no choice but to agree.
I lost everything on my PC and had to pay ?50 to get Windows 7 reinstalled.
Now I have to icon for Windows 10 on my Task Bar again and I'm paranoid to install it without a Windows 10 CD
I sure don't feel inclined to pay for it after losing everything on my PC and having to pay $50 for the grief it caused me
How do I obtain a Windows 10 CD for free plus postage so I have something to fall back on if the problem occurs again

Best Regards
Graham Hood

Vinnie Tyson

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Immediately after the upgrade complete, I went about personalizing the desktop and I found the default app screen. I thought to myself this could be ok, what was I worried about. Then it struck me, the default apps are limited, so limited in fact they only support ms products, like bing (puke) search, bing maps, and bing mail... Honestly if I thought BING was the app to solve all my problems I would be using it already.

Instead I would like to use, Google maps, Inbox, and Google Search (open mic) as my default apps, but ms will not support it, instead they would like us to give Bing a try and settle for 3rd best on the market. I am not happy about the limitations imposed on the default app screen. I will dial back to W7 in a month.

The second thing I did was a quick search in the start menu, I pressed the windows key and typed 'device manager' just to see how long it would take to find it. The screen clearly stated that windows was indexing the search and it could take a while. After roughly 3 minutes I stopped waiting and found the device manager via navigation. All in all, so far I am very underwhelmed and what W10 actually offers. All I can see is a pretty new skin on top of a poor OS.

But like I said, I won't rush to judgement I will give w10 time to settle, and see if it can preform basic tasks in a decent time.

The fact that I am limited to Windows Default Apps, doesn't surprise me, but the option for other apps should be present as well, after all if BING doesn't always yield the expected results, where google never misses. Its a personal choice, and on a personal computer I think the choice should be mine and not microsofts.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs