Should I get the Windows 10 Technical Preview?

xxpatrioticxx

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I really want to try it out and all, but will I be able to run it one one machine using both Windows 7 and 10 (using two partitions)?

The Tech Preview is also in my Windows Update for "Recommended", sizing up to about 2 GB. Will that automatically set everything up as an update or just download the file?

Thanks!

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The file you get is a disc image file, which means you either need a utility to mount it to a virtual disk drive or burn the image to a physical disc. Once you do that it will be just like installing Windows 7 or 8 (the installer is the same one you're used to if you boot into it)

If you want to dual boot you need to either burn the ISO to a disc or use a tool to make a bootable USB drive. If you try running the installer from within Windows it will only allow you to do an upgrade install or to wipe your old OS completely.

xxpatrioticxx

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I see.

1.) I assume I can't use a DVD. Am I right about this?

2.) If doing a dual-boot, I need to create another partition, correct? If so, do you have a link to any directions?

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I see.

1.) I assume I can't use a DVD. Am I right about this?

2.) If doing a dual-boot, I need to create another partition, correct? If so, do you have a link to any directions?

Thanks!

1) You can use a DVD.

2) the preview is not a finished product and is targeted at people who would know how to partition things among others.
its a common topic, especially in Linux-land, so a quick Google or Bing should turn some useful information up.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I mean, to me personally, I see it like those "how much do these diamonds cost" things where the clerk goes "if you have to ask... you probably can't afford it", but if you're willing to go through the effort, then yes, you should download it. The more the merrier!

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If you want to make a new partition you need to find the utility called 'disk management'.
Find your primary volume (should be way larger than any others), right click on it and choose shrink. Then you'll have to manually specify an amount in Megabytes. Just remember that 1024 MB is 1 GB, so multiply accordingly.

Also, it may be a good idea to defragment your hard drive before doing this, but not absolutely necessary.

After you've shrunk your main partition, you'll need to format the unallocated space. It will be marked in black. Right click on it, choose "New Simple Volume" and click through the wizard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720