Dual boot windows 10

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That's what i did for my Acer S3-951. I used the VHD method which has been posted numerous times in this forum. Check it out.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
To dual-boot Windows, you always install the older OS first on the hard drive's first partition. Then you'll create a second partition on the hard drive and install Windows 10 there. During the installation process, Windows will modify the boot records to give you a boot menu when the PC boots up.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Will I lose files or programms if I dual boot it?

This is BETA anything can happen... make sure to backup your data first. You are unlikely to lose data all programs in Windows 10 will need re-installed. After preparing your computer here are the steps....

Backup your BCD file.... (this is your boot configuration file)
bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup

Then create a partition at least 40 GB..name it Windows10

Then burn a dvd and reboot and install Windows 10 in that partition.

You will have a new dual boot menu THATS IT!...

To revert later boot into existing windows and run

bcdedit /import C:\bcdbackup

Delete windows 10 partition

Back to normal as prior to testing the BETA

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm asking for help!
How?

Create a new partition on your hard drive using disk management. Right click the C:/ drive and choose shrink, choose at least 25GB, now you'll see there's a new partition.
Then after downloading the ISO, you'll need to put it on a USB drive. This can be done using "Windows 7 USB download tool" (wudt.codeplex.com), just follow the instructions (this will delete everything in your USB drive).
Now plug in the USB, and restart your computer. Or it will automatically boot from the USB, or if it doesn't you'll have to change the boot sequence, this can be done by pressing one of the function keys when the computer boots (normally F12). Now you're at the BIOS. select boot from USB drive, or something similar.
After a loading screen you'll see a Windows 7 like window. It will let you choose between "normal" and "custom" install. Choose custom. Now you can choose on what drive or partition you want to install Windows. Choose the one with the same space you created (it will also say "unallocated").
Now it will be installed.
Each time you start your PC it will ask which OS you want to use.
(watch out, you don't choose normal install, otherwise it will just replace your current version of Windows)
I did this myself some hours ago, but still, I could be wrong about something.

There also is a VHD thing. Don't know anything about it, but the forum does.

If you're not sure about something I can add some screenshots if you want.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss