Installing on Surface Pro 2

chrisjfinlay

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a question about installing this on a Pro 2. When I followed the download links, it served me the .iso instead of the executable available on other systems (despite my device being completely up-to-date). I don't have a USB drive large enough to mount the iso to hand, but I noticed when I went to "This PC" (after randomly double-clicking the ISO for no real reason) that a virtual DVD drive had been created, with the ISO mounted and the ability to run setup.exe from inside it. Am I ok to install it from here, or does it need to be a physical drive?

mandong

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Am I ok to install it from here, or does it need to be a physical drive?

You can install using a USB flash drive to minimize risks. It's possible that the installer will need to restart to continue installing. After the SP2 restarts, that virtual disk will be gone and setup won't be able to access files it needs from the ISO file to complete the installation.

larry0987

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Setup will extract the new OS to the drive before rebooting. Once it reboots the new os will move itself and everything else where it needs to be the media is no longer needed. This is how setup has worked since Vista. Even booting from USB or DVD does mostly the same thing, after the first reboot you can remove the media from your computer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb