How to upgrade from Preview to release edition?

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
So, I've never been part of any Windows Preview, just Windows Phone.

The preview will allow me to use the system up until May 2015. I wonder what will happen after that timeframe is over?

I have a Lenovo x220, which came with Windows 7 Professional. I also have the serial key for the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. Do you guys have any idea if it will work when I install Windows 10 final? Or I will have to downgrade to Windows 7, update to 8 and then to Windows 10 (assuming it will be a free upgrade, as rumored)?

How did that work when the Windows 8 preview was available?

Im asking that because I went full commando and installed W10 after a clean format on main computer's C: drive hahaha

Downgrading won't be a problem, but I'm REALLY lazy to do that.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Historically, upgrading from a beta to a final release isn't an option.

I heard of it being POSSIBLE, but I wouldn't bank on that.

After the thing expires, I know Windows 7 Release Candidate would reboot randomly after a certain time period of on-time IIRC, i could be wrong though.

I'm not sure about the upgrade path though, I'd upgrade starting at 7, but eh, I don't know for sure.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I suspect there will be either an upgrade trick to create an ISO or ISO available and all you will need it to verify your windows 8 eligible for free upgrade key.

That would be my guess...it was possible to install a clean 8.1 using these tricks.

Since this is 10...pretty sure they won't want to try to tie it to obscure upgrade path that's tied to having 8 installed and upgrading that..i would be surprised if there was not a much easier clean path since this is a Major version release.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That date is just picked from the ether. Expect to see a Technical Preview update that will push the date up to or beyond the official release date.

No, you will not be able to upgrade from a technical preview to final release. Reason: licensing in the release version will conflict with technical preview by design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos