Windows 10 back to windows 8.1

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Rafael,

Like I said, I actually try the USB key on another computer to be sure it's booting and it does... Unless the boot mechanism of the Surface is different, I guess it book on the USB: Sadly, my USB key does not have a little LED that would flash :(

Also, your instruction mentions to have a Windows ISO handy, which I have. What I am afraid of is the installer will ask my for a CD-Key,and there is NO CDKey provided with my Surface (Nothing in the box, almost...) ...

I think I'll land MS a call later on today.

Thanks!

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Rafael,

Like I said, I actually try the USB key on another computer to be sure it's booting and it does... Unless the boot mechanism of the Surface is different, I guess it book on the USB: Sadly, my USB key does not have a little LED that would flash :(

Also, your instruction mentions to have a Windows ISO handy, which I have. What I am afraid of is the installer will ask my for a CD-Key,and there is NO CDKey provided with my Surface (Nothing in the box, almost...) ...

I think I'll land MS a call later on today.

Thanks!

You don't need a retail image of Windows as Microsoft provides recovery images for the surface devices. Get the right one for yours and follow the tutorial, this is the only way your surface will see the USB because the motherboard is uefi so it won't recognize legacy USB boot position.

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
;)

Trying that right away .. But since the Recovery Image from Microsoft are not .ISO, I'll try to format the USB Key using Rufus and then drag / drop the files into it.

We'll see.

Thanks again.

Magdy Samir

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
;)

Trying that right away .. But since the Recovery Image from Microsoft are not .ISO, I'll try to format the USB Key using Rufus and then drag / drop the files into it.

We'll see.

Thanks again.

Sorry to disappoint you, but sadly it didn't work with me, the same ugly message on reset attempt ( insert your windows installation media ) appears , even when trying to use recovery image it couldn't recognize it.
I'm facing the same problem , I think I've checked a video on YouTube the guy said it should be USB 3 , which has a blue rubber . I don't have one otherwise I would have tried it . Any ideas ?

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Indeed, it fails as well here.

Hum... Regarding that USB 3 (the blue one) ... I'm not sure which one I use on my main PC (I have both) to create the UsB drive... I'll try another time and be sure I plug the USB into the blue one to create the USB Recovery... and try to boot again / reset on the Surface...

Keep you post (probably later today...)

EDIT: Other tests ! did: Try the USB3 to create the USB key: No Luck. Try to use 7Zip instead of the built in unzip: No luck.
Cheers (or not.........)

Last edited:

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I just went through this on my SP1.

Here's the steps :
1. Get the image for your SP model
2. Unzip the file
3. Format the USB stick to FAT32 (just the built in formatting is fine)
4. Copy the files from the zip file to the USB stick.
5. Power off the SP
6. Hold down volume, press and release power, when Surface spash shows up, release Volume

What will happen might take a little time, but not much. On this boot the files will be used to create a virtual CD on the stick and that will be the image you actually use.

Then look at the second part of the instructions on the page for resetting the SP and follow them.

Note : the 'target' is the W10 preview.

I won't be back on until tomorrow AM, so if you have questions I'll try to answer then.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

phil71

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I have just downloaded the recovery image from the Microsoft Surface website
and put the files in a USB key formatted with the built-in formatting tool.

When I try to reset my Surface It gives me one choice for the target OS version, that is "Windows 10 Technical Preview"!!!

Iparsons21: If I understand you well, you got the same choice as me that is only "Windows 10 Technical Preview" as Target but you proceed anyway and you ended up to successfully get back to Win 8.1. Am I correct?

It didn't go as smoothly for me as I got an error message quickly after choosing Reset my Computer.

As a next attempt, I will try to reformat my USB key with the built-in formatting tool but this time without the Quick format option checked.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

phil71

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I successfully get back to Win 8.1 from Win 10 on my Surface Pro 3.

In order to do that, Ive done the following:
Download the recovery image directly from Microsoft website
microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage
You will have to enter the serial number of your Surface (found at the back of the device or on the package)
Just follow the instruction given by Microsoft. I've used the built-in formatting tool (Quick copy unchecked) to format the USB key.

The above procedure works for Microsoft Surface. For OEM devices, you will have to find a recovery image from the OEM website.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the only target was the Windows 10 Preview and I selected it and proceeded.

That threw me off for a bit because I thought it meant it was going to reinstall the W10 preview. But it went on an installed W8. The W8 install went without a hitch.

Then I had to get the 93 updates, and that was long and slow and burped a few times before that was finally done. I think the SP2 came with 8.1, so you shouldn't have that PITA to go through.

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I just went through this on my SP1.

Here's the steps :
1. Get the image for your SP model
2. Unzip the file
3. Format the USB stick to FAT32 (just the built in formatting is fine)
4. Copy the files from the zip file to the USB stick.
5. Power off the SP
6. Hold down volume, press and release power, when Surface spash shows up, release Volume

What will happen might take a little time, but not much. On this boot the files will be used to create a virtual CD on the stick and that will be the image you actually use.

Then look at the second part of the instructions on the page for resetting the SP and follow them.

Note : the 'target' is the W10 preview.

I won't be back on until tomorrow AM, so if you have questions I'll try to answer then.

I'll try this. I've actually done this exact procedure before in my attempt to revert my surface back to 8.1 and I still got the same nasty error image... Im about to start the long process so ill tell yall how it goes.

And on copying the files over to the USB you are coping them from the folder you just unzipped correct? Not the files from the compressed folder

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Make sure the zip file you download is about 7GB in size. The first time I tried it, the zip was only 3GB and that didn't work at all. Still don't know why the darned thing truncated the download.

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the zip file you download is about 7GB in size. The first time I tried it, the zip was only 3GB and that didn't work at all. Still don't know why the darned thing truncated the download.

The file is a good 6.2 GB

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

The steps mentioned above are exactly what I did.. The only thing that differs is the "Quick Format" option... I'l give it a try and keep your informed.

Thanks!

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

The steps mentioned above are exactly what I did.. The only thing that differs is the "Quick Format" option... I'l give it a try and keep your informed.

Thanks!

Yeah try it you are not gonna lose anything, I don't have a surface to try it on except for my sister's and she won't even let get close to it lol 😁

Elezium

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
sigh...

Same result... I'm starting to wonder if the Recovery image is not broken for the SP2 ...

I tried to download the image twice, same size, same md5sum as well...

Not sure If I want to loose my Sunday afternoon with MS Tech Support.. that being said, that would be my punishment for such a bad move on my own...

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Same gosh freaking error message... Grrr! I just want my 8.1 back!!
I followed every step on point, download MY specific recovery image for my surface pro 2
Formatted (not quick format) but formatted my USB correctly to the FAT32 or whatever
copied the recovery imaged unzipping the files, everything good there
shut down the surface
Volume down power, did all that correctly,
Troubleshoot, rest and ERROR! "insert media devise!!"
even tried troubleshoot, advanced, System image recovery and ERROR!

I know I'm not missing anything.... I know I deserve this for my stupidity but geez... Does anyone have an idea? Even if I lose every single file I've ever own?

t.mehoves

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you do everything correct if the USB is not correct. I am 99% sure its the way you are doing the USB, and perhaps because you are not making it bootable.

Are you checking "Create a DOS startup disk" when formatting it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte