Computer expert? If not, don't install Windows 10 Insider Preview

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Anyone can try and install Win 10 with only 2 minimum requirements.

1. You know how to do back-ups (hint: save all your data on external hard drive)
2. You know how to restore back to original OS (hint: will only take 15 to 30mins with all your programs and drivers installed with image restoration)

Tutorials on how to install Win 10 are all over the internet. Along the way, if MS screwed up and destroyed Win 10, image backup can fix that back in 15mins.

So, if you don't know how to do the above 2 minumum requirements, yeah, stay away from Win 10.

In my case I have Win 10 installed on a separate SSD. So, bring it on!

WP_20141004_19_32_25_Pro.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

ZackTheNever

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Im 16 and not a PC Expert but I can say I know about everything from the control panel to the bitmap loader. However, I agree... Im tired of hearing people whining about that crud.

Im pushing Windows 10 to my everyday use, seeing what it Cando and so far so good my friend.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, No NOOB is going to listen to warnings anyway. This stinks that MS allowed it for everyone at this point. For the most part it's stable but, it's got some huge bugs under it, that some will run into and others will not (depends on how you use it).

Why does it stink ? Because no one says anything when it's good but, if people run into a problem, they will complain endlessly, and already Windows 10 has a bad rep...

It's fairly stable for me, Yea, about 5-6 "Windows" applications (not native Windows 8 apps) do not run, or will just open and close. Opened mail (built in for Hotmail) and shrunk it down to be in a window, and a endless clicking noise started, only way to resolve it, was to reboot. A few crashes and random reboots but, it's ok.

When Microsoft releases the official Preview with Media options (most stripped from this build), then most people should grab it as it will be a lot more stable and with solid feature set in place.

I will give a warning too, If you have never installed Windows from scratch before (not a upgrade, from a new harddrive), if you want to install this, DO A VM. If you do a VM and something screws up, you can just delete the VM and start over.

If you upgrade your computer and something MAJOR fails, you have no OS, no way to get into Windows....Do you know what to do ? Do you know ways to troubleshoot it ? If you don't have a clue (be honest), stick with a VM or wait...

psh_vermont

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm a computer enthusiast, not a tech professional/expert. I agree with your advice 100% for any computer you're using on a regular basis.

But in my case I installed it on two spare Win8 tablets, partly out of curiousity and partly so I could participate in the user feedback. These are tablets that I use for testing apps and web sites, web-surfing, stuff like that, they don't have any critical materials on them.

I've found the Tech Pvw to be surprisingly trouble-free and bug-free and easy to install and learn, and nothing has happened that has required any expertise beyond normal OS upgrade and software installs.

But, yes, there's a risk -- so I'd underline your advice, except to add -- if you have a spare computer or tablet lying around that you're not using any more for critical day-to-day stuff, the Tech Pvw is really interesting and fun to mess with.

Laion

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you are quite something. I'm sure you are one of those people who would burn their mouth, if it wasn't written on the coffee cup "hot". But I tell you, they do that to limit their liability. Microsoft also. I'm just a hobbyist and I haven't had any problems with Windows 10 or WP 8.1 DP. I am sure that Microsoft is as happy from my feedback as it is from yours. If they had wanted to limit the Windows 10 just to professionals, they would have done so and not published the download link on their main Windows 10 page. I hope I don't take too much of your precious time with my comment. Lol.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
When Windows 8 preview came out, it was the same day on my laptop. In this case with Windows 10 it is not, not because I don't want to try it but because my main pc is not connected yet. I am working in my house to get a new floor and other changes. There for is my laptop now my main system to go to and that is why I didn't tried Windows 10 yet.
I don't upgrade other people there pc's with Windows 10 because it isn't ready yet and after the release it will stop working and than can I fix everything again.
Windows 10 is now for testing and as you want to now what is new or how it works, use a second system that you don't use or watch YouTube and websites that write over it. There is enough info about and on YouTube people place new video's each time as there is something new.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen this said yet in this thread, but I could be wrong...
If only OS experts provided feedback on the OS, it could become a very expert oriented OS and the public consumer release could be a bit too confusing for the average Joe. Diversity is a wonderful thing, even in OS testing.

Sa Wasim

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
this is technical preview running on my laptop now upgraded from win 8.1 pro then after the official release of win 10 will i get it ?

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
how do I reinstall windows 8.1 on my surface pro after Ii have installed windows 10 technical preview? Does it work with a recovery disk, and if so can I use an external drive, because the surface pro has no built in laserdiskdrive?

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
how do I reinstall windows 8.1 on my surface pro after Ii have installed windows 10 technical preview? Does it work with a recovery disk, and if so can I use an external drive, because the surface pro has no built in laserdiskdrive?

It is best to have a recovery disk to be safe, but Windows 10 preview provides an option to Roll Back when you re-start the PC. I assume it puts it back to how you had it before.

John Walter1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Win 10 Technical Preview is all about giving feedback about how you want the new OS to feel and look, not just reporting some issues. This is the first time MS tries to involve users into the development and people are acting stupidly whining. I think we all should start acting more seriously about win 10, because it's what we all are about to use in the next few years. Peace!

Rahul D1

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
hi i friends
i have upgraded from windows 7 to window 10 technical preview
i have a question that the software i had on windows 7 how do i migrate it to
windows 10 technical preview
such as graphic card software, windows office, and i have may more ....
Thanku..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb