I'm kind of disappointed so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
A disclaimer: I never liked Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. I used them, but never enjoyed the experience. Windows Phone and Windows 8, and then 8.1 are the first OS Microsoft ever made that I liked. I fact I loved 8/8.1.

I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface Pro.

I'm not loving it so far.

I feel like its a huge retrograde step so far. A lot of what made Windows 8/8.1 great on a touchscreen has been either compromised, or completely removed. Where's the touch IE? I can no longer swipe up to access app functions. Instead I have to try to hit a tiny button in the app title bar. Or resort to either my pen, or a mouse. I can't dismiss apps with a swipe either.

Now I'm aware they're going to add lots of stuff to this early preview. But as it stands right now, its a disaster for Windows tablet users.

I'm buying a new computer in February. I sure hope they've improved this by then. I was strongly considering getting a Surface Pro 3. Now I'm totally second guessing that. If I was going to the store today, right now, to get that new system I'd probably get a cheap laptop and a 128GB IPad instead. And I despise iOS. But, its TOUCH FRIENDLY.

Sure hope it gets better.

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The technical preview has been stated as being mainly for enterprise customers, and ms have said that a lot of the touch features are missing. What you have is basically an alpha windows aimed at winning business over before release. I wouldn't worry too much, that's what the whole continuum thing is all about. The right experience for the right hardware.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
MS was pretty upfront about the state the W10 preview would start from, and that was for the desktop/mouse-keyboard types and that the touch and tablet stuff would be along later.

I've got it on my SP (1st gen) and it hasn't disappointed, but it does make me want my 'metro ui' back sometimes.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The continuum feature they showed is horrible, the Windows 7 taskbar is always visible, and they used a Surface in the mock-up of the demo.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Whats weird is that I wasn't a big Win 8 fan when it first came out. Now that I have a WP 8.1 phone and a Surface Pro 2 I realized how quickly my brain adapted and enjoyed the touch based system. How can I tell I'm getting too used to Windows 8.1?

-I try to swipe down on my Android tablet to close things
-I try to swipe up to access my apps on my Android tablet
-When Im killing time at an Apple store, I'm constantly touching the laptop and desktop screens to open programs and I feel like a "special" person when people catch me doing it. Its just habit now.
-Instead of turning pages of a book, I try to swipe left.
-I try to pinch zoom my daily newspaper.
Ok the last two were jokes...

With that said, If this came out before Windows 8/8.1, it would have been a perfect progression to the touchbased future. Now that we were traumatically thrown into the touchbased future by Ballmer, Windows 10 kinda feels like a child molester apologizing. The damage is done. Im screwed up for life. I need large Live tiles and swipe gestures to feel safe.#MicrosoftStockholmSyndrome.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
They said from the beginning that the TP would focus in keyboard and mouse, and tablet features would come later, so I'm not sure why you're suddenly in shock that it doesn't have many tablet-specific features.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I was expecting the build to be like Windows 8.1 with the adjustments tacked on. Instead it ended up being a ground up build made to look like Windows 8.1 but only about 50% hashed out. That's what surprised me. I didn't think the preview would be this stripped down. Plus the use of the word "focus" made me think it was emphasized but not the only things they would address. Probably for timing sake (not sure what) they had to announce it even though they weren't quite ready even for a preview. It would have made more sense to show the non-touch and touch based systems side by side.

Maonsie

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I was expecting the build to be like Windows 8.1 with the adjustments tacked on. Instead it ended up being a ground up build made to look like Windows 8.1 but only about 50% hashed out. That's what surprised me. I didn't think the preview would be this stripped down. Plus the use of the word "focus" made me think it was emphasized but not the only things they would address. Probably for timing sake (not sure what) they had to announce it even though they weren't quite ready even for a preview. It would have made more sense to show the non-touch and touch based systems side by side.

But they were ready for a preview. A mouse-and-keyboard, desktop focused preview, pushed out to begin wooing over that side of the consumer base, and for enterprise users to work with hands-on and submit their own findings and errors and anything else directly back to Microsoft.

Continuum was shown to illustrate what the team has in the pipeline, and with that would come the new modern experience for touch; most likely that will come when the ARM/phone preview is released and those details are shared towards the beginning of next year.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Calm down, man. As someone else stated, this preview is geared towards winning enterprise back. You know all the touch stuff you love? They hate it. With a passion. All the touch stuff will be there in the final release.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I understand its basically just out of "concept" stage. Plus it's easy to forget that not only are they trying to make a desktop beta but also a touch beta at the same time. Windows 7 beta only had to address the desktop side so even the beta felt like a complete idea.
On a positive note, lacking the touch side of things really made me realize how much I have grown to like it. I even...*gasp*...prefer it in most situations that don't require a legacy program now. It makes me really yearn for touch friendly legacy programs now.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
So much disappointment in this thread. Windows 10 hasn't even launched & here people are disappointed! Wow. Let the official windows 10 come out, then cursing it would make sense.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A disclaimer: I never liked Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. I used them, but never enjoyed the experience. Windows Phone and Windows 8, and then 8.1 are the first OS Microsoft ever made that I liked. I fact I loved 8/8.1.

I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface Pro.

I'm not loving it so far.

I feel like its a huge retrograde step so far. A lot of what made Windows 8/8.1 great on a touchscreen has been either compromised, or completely removed. Where's the touch IE? I can no longer swipe up to access app functions. Instead I have to try to hit a tiny button in the app title bar. Or resort to either my pen, or a mouse. I can't dismiss apps with a swipe either.

Now I'm aware they're going to add lots of stuff to this early preview. But as it stands right now, its a disaster for Windows tablet users.

I'm buying a new computer in February. I sure hope they've improved this by then. I was strongly considering getting a Surface Pro 3. Now I'm totally second guessing that. If I was going to the store today, right now, to get that new system I'd probably get a cheap laptop and a 128GB IPad instead. And I despise iOS. But, its TOUCH FRIENDLY.

Sure hope it gets better.

The continuum feature they showed is horrible, the Windows 7 taskbar is always visible, and they used a Surface in the mock-up of the demo.

You know it's not the release version, you know it's a technical preview, you even clicked on the "Accept" button for the EULA which told you it was a preview version when you installed the software AND YOU STILL COMPLAIN?

Don't moan to us, use the Microsoft official feedback channels to tell THEM. You will see better results that way.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading the 'disappointed' posts in many forums and find it hard to believe that some didn't pay attention when MS clearly said this was a very early tech preview and emphasized that it wasn't ready for the consumers yet.

I put it on my SurfacePro 1st gen and found it very solid and faster than W8.1. Overall I think MS is on the right path with this one. I'm really looking forward to what is coming as it develops.

All that said, I took it off my SP1 and went back to W8.1. For those that don't have the 1st gen SP, you cannot imagine the PITA it is to go back! The OS load is W8 which then needs 93 updates before you can get W8.1. It is a long and not painless process.

But on the 10" screen with my old eyes, the desktop isn't a joy to use at all, so back to mostly 'modern UI' and its apps for me. I'll jump back in when they get further along.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, people evidently don't read, watch videos, or use common sense anymore. They just wipe their hard drives and install alpha software and ***** about out how incomplete it is and make outrageous predictions on the failure of it before they've used the real deal.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Ok, my issues with 10 are quickly fading. I figured out how to get the Start Screen back in lieu of the Start Menu on a non-touch pc. I also realized how nice it was to have right-click start options. Not even three days and I'm warming up to it faster than 8/8.1. The touch layout is in there but you have to change properties and sign out to get them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99