Guys with Win 10 - can you index Linux NAS files to Libraries without copying them to local machine

VicByrd

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
After researching this issue for months and trying all sorts of workarounds I just installed this tool
Google Zorn Software Win Library Tool (Newbies can't post links).
Works unbelievably well. Simple.Try it you'll like it.
Victor

yourguitarhero

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Those NAS cost about ?1000 though.

These are all workarounds.
The question I'm asking is: has anyone investigated adding Linux based NAS shares to libraries in Windows 10?

nicopizza

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
as I answered in another forum (http ://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/add-a-nas-photos-folder-to-win8-photo-library/4515a543-66ed-4191-9bec-fce1663c9f01)

1. Open Windows Media Player (I am using WMP 12)
2. Select "Organize" > "Manage Libraries" > select a library
3. You will find a dialog box "Change how this library gathers its contents". Clicking on "Add" you should be able to select and add a folder on your NAS.

Alternatively, since you are on a RT system, you can try this:
1.First you need the "UNC" path to your NAS share, could be something like: "\\NAS\Photo Collection"
2.Next create a folder on your hard disk with an "unusual" name; e.g. "C:\abcxyz". Integrate this folder as usual into your photos library.
3.Now go to the directory
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\
Copy the file "Photos" on the desktop
4.Right mouse click on the "Photos" file on desktop, then "Open With ..." -> "Editor" Then you see a plain text file. Search for location of "C:\abcxyz" and replace it with the UNC path \\NAS\Photo Collection. Delete the following packages with the cryptic numbers between <serialized>...</serialized> Then the corresponding area should look like this:
<simpleLocation>
<url>\\NAS\Photo Collection</ url>
</simpleLocation></li>
5.Save the file "Photos". Copy the file "Photos" from the desktop back into the folderC:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\
and override the existing "Photos" file.
6.Now you can delete the folder created in the meantime "C:\abcxyz" and the file "Photos" on the desktop.
...I hope it helps...

I am also interested to know if file indexing from NAS folder works in Win 10 TP... I'll try it sooner or later...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa