How do I run my account as an administrator?

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sick and tired of having to right click on everything and clicking Run As Administrator. Can someone please tell me how to make my account an admin account on Windows 10. Thanks.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm sick and tired of having to right click on everything and clicking Run As Administrator. Can someone please tell me how to make my account an admin account on Windows 10. Thanks.

Why are you running everything as admin anyway?

If you are the only user on the computer then the account should be an admin account anyway, if you're talking about THE administrator account then that is disabled by default through Local Security Policies. I would caution you against enabling it though as that can cause way more issues than it's worth and Microsoft also say the same thing.

There are two levels of admin on current versions of Windows. Your current admin account is a machine level admin account, which allows a user to perform admin tasks but with UAC prompts and the requirement to elevate certain tasks to the systemwide admin account. The systemwide admin account is the one that you want to run as and is disabled by default as I already mentioned, personally I wouldn't enable it as tasks such as registry edits are being made systemwide rather than to a virtualised version of the registry, specific to your account.

Last edited:

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am running the only account. It says I'm an administrator in the user settings, but here's an example:

Windows 7:
15583992446_dc2ac2c743_b.jpg

Windows 10:
15421569068_f4f9b4fd7b_b.jpg

As you can see the update settings are greyed out. The only reason I don't want automatic updates is because updates are now completely hidden from the user in the background and I want to know what;s going on.

Last edited:

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have only seen this when an account was setup locally first and then connected to an MS account after. I have always used the MS account from the start and never had this issue.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This is normally seen when your PC is on a domain. It wouldn't even matter if you were a local admin on the PC or if you were the built in admin, you would still see this. However, I do not believe you are on a domain and I do believe that this is just part of the Windows 10 TP. You can, however, change what it is set to.

Win+R
gpedit.msc
navigate to Local Computer Policy/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Updates/Configure Automatic Updates
Check Enable and under Options select whatever options you would like (or, you can elect to select "Allow local admin to choose setting", which will allow you to configure Windows Update from the window pictured in your screenshots above).

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
This is normally seen when your PC is on a domain. It wouldn't even matter if you were a local admin on the PC or if you were the built in admin, you would still see this. However, I do not believe you are on a domain and I do believe that this is just part of the Windows 10 TP. You can, however, change what it is set to.

Win+R
gpedit.msc
navigate to Local Computer Policy/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Updates/Configure Automatic Updates
Check Enable and under Options select whatever options you would like (or, you can elect to select "Allow local admin to choose setting", which will allow you to configure Windows Update from the window pictured in your screenshots above).

Just read this and it was the solution. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo