Help me install windows 10 technical preview

lrn2board

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I have been trying to I stall windows 10 technical preview on my all in one dell touch screen inspiron 3043 with 2.48 ghz Intel processor, 4gbs of ram and 500gb of storage. There is no DVD drive. I have tried to mount the program via windows 8.1 right click method, and each time it goes through the set up until its "checking your PC" or something then comes back as "something happened. Try and exit and restart the install process" everytime. I then tried to boot from my USB, but could not for the life of me figure out how to do it. I first tried through the bois settings while the dell logo is displayed before computer boots up, but no option to boot from USB. I then went to the recover section within windows 8.1, found the boot from USB there, and when I do that, it says the system can't boot from USB, try a different boot option. Please help, I am a windows preview junkie (on windows phone preview and Xbox preview) and would love to test the new os as well. If you can help and don't have an invite to Xbox preview, ill provide you with an invite as a thanks!

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
First. I don't recommend running Windows 10 if this is your only machine, it is far from fully functional and may not have drivers for all machines. BACKUP FIRST!

Do you have a USB disk drive? Try that. If it won't boot from USB, how did you get 8.1 installed? OEM? Also, if you have to have a bootable USB stick before most BIOS will recognize to be able to boot from them. Sometimes they won't show as an option during boot options (normally F12 on Dell PCs).

lrn2board

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
This isn't my only machine, this is my play/fun one that I like to experiment with. I do have a usb stick, I have put the ISO onto it but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to boot from usb. Windows 8.1 was already on here when I got the all in one.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I would try a USB dvd disk drive then. If you don't have one, see if you can barrow one. Sometimes the bios types have issues with bootable USB drives.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb