Sync live tiles and their layout between pc's on the start menu

dharvey24

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone using build 9860 been able to sync the layout and content of the tiles on the start menu between pc's? I'm using the same account on both machines.

dharvey24

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Further to this, all other aspects of syncing between accounts seem to work, wallpaper, onedrive etc etc however the live tiles and start menu layout don't match. Its quite a pain to keep shuffling them around to match and adding and removing different apps/links.

Come to think of it I can't remember it working in 8.1. Has it worked for anyone else?

All my sync yes/no buttons are on to sync but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

dharvey24

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Anybody?

If i'm just being dumb also let me know. perhaps its really obvious but I can't see the option?

I can see in my profile >local> etc that it saves the layout on each pc i'm on and in theory I could copy and paste that file across the devices but was curious if there was a fix or solution for this?

Or perhaps do a dos 'mklink' from that file to my onedrive?

dharvey24

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I guess ms's thinking might be if you log on to a machine which isn't your own, at work etc, the firewall may not allow certain apps to download or work and so the layout might not appear as you'd expect. That being said it should at least give you the option to try and sync it. Let me know how you get on.

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is by design behavior. Starting with Windows 8, the option to do exactly as your request only occurs when restoring/installing Windows with a OneDrive account. Even then this applies only to apps, not programs (i.e. Adobe PhotoShop) and you must re-download apps.

rtcinema

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I realize I'm necro-bumping this post, but seeing as it doesn't appear to be solved I'll comment. In Windows 8.1 your Live Tiles on the start screen were sync'd between computers as long as you were logged in on the same account. If a program wasn't installed on that particular computer the tile just didn't show up. If you installed the program after logging in the tile would automatically show up in its proper place on the start screen.

I personally don't like that Windows 10 managed to launch with that feature removed. I switch back and forth between my Laptop and Surface all the time and it was nice not having to worry about changing settings and appearances on both devices. I hope Windows 10 brings it back or I figure out how to enable it somehow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire