PROTIP: Installing Win 10 on Win 8.1Pro using Hyper-V

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess there's quite a few people who are installing the technical preview of Windows 10 directly onto their computers/Surface devices, but there's a safer way that may not have occurred to you.

In Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (as installed on your shiny new SP3 Pro), you have the Hyper-V virtualisation software available to you.

To get to it, you'll need to install the software, which you can get to from the "Programs" section of the control panel. You'll need the "turn windows features on or off" and select the Hyper V branch from the list.

Once that's installed, you'll be able to create a new virtual machine using the Windows 10 TP ISO image as a bootable device. You may need to also create a virtual network switch within the Hyper V management console to allow your new VM to share your network.

Doing it this way means that you don't need to restore your host pc when and if your Windows 10 installation stops working (or won't do what you want).

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss/ask questions. I've been a bit vague about the instructions as (ideally), a Windows 10 TP user will be pretty good at messing with configuration and messing with installing operating systems...

Last edited:

t.mehoves

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Should point out that you need a Windows 8.1 64bit installed to utilize Hyper-V as well having an i3, i5, or i7 processor for SLAT. Yes, SP3 has all this...but not all desktops.

Running "Coreinfo.EXE -v" in command prompt (admin) from the link below will tell you if you have this.

Coreinfo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb